jake13

Fuel consumption (mpg) gauge to read oil temperature

47 posts in this topic

I've not got any pictures of it, but that dashed line around the edge is far higher on a cold engine, I think it sits at about 4k, then as the engine progressively warms up it moves further round to the redline and stops where yours or mine is.

In regards to your question higher up about the different gauge, in some countries the given measurement is litres per 100km. That's what is showing on the dash in one of the instruction posts.

Westy likes this

I've never noticed that dashed line moving before. Is it on all E60/E61 engine types? I'll take a look on mine later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine doesn't move either, I've only ever seen one that did and I'm pretty sure it was a 520D. I'm not sure if mine is broken or just never did it in the first place!

A quick google says that this isn't on the LCI, only the pre LCI models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was first introduced on the E39 M5 and the idea was that the red line increased as the engine got up to temperature as a way of not damaging a cold engine.

Mine starts at 4K on a cold start, then increases to 4.5K but as I've said earlier never seen it go above that.

Be interested to hear from other 530d owners what their's read as it may be an indicator of a dodgy thermostat.

As said above the moving rev limit outer is only on pre LCI models so roughly before 2007 for an E60/E61.

When fully warmed up you should see 4 white bars (about 4750 rpm). When it's cold there are a lot more.

It's telling you the engine coolant temperature. When it's at 4 bars the engine coolant is at 75C, just enough for a DPF regen.

Mashed Potatoes likes this

I'd have been happy if they'd just fitted a coolant temperature gauge, or even a combined temperature and oil pressure gauge à la British Layoff circa 1965. The MPG clapometer is a waste of dashboard space IMO.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Mashed Potatoes and Westy like this

1 hour ago, pidgeonpost said:

I'd have been happy if they'd just fitted a coolant temperature gauge, or even a combined temperature and oil pressure gauge à la British Layoff circa 1965. The MPG clapometer is a waste of dashboard space IMO.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more. One of the best cars I've driven for this that I can think of is VW Touraeg (sp?). Revs and speed, screen in the middle for computer/sat nav instructions, but also fuel, water temp, oil temp and battery voltage. And yet somehow it all still looked uncluttered. I really wish BMW had done similar with their dashboards. I know they're better now they include oil temp on the F10, but still. 

pidgeonpost and Dotcom1970 like this

I thought the E39 dash was fine, not sure why the designers felt the need to remove the two smaller gauges really.

Was in an X5 M50d the other day, and this has the newer all digital dash which is swish.

I'm going to make 2 changes to it later on today, I need to credit jake13 in it, because I hadn't heard of it being done until he posted it up here, and show the before and after effect of the checksum correction. I'll update the link when it's done.

Westy likes this

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Link has been updated, a couple of typos fixed and credit given to Jake for bringing this to everyones attention!

Instrument cluster coding

No need to mention me, the credit goes to yourself for deciphering and making it possible for everyone to understand. We all appreciate your effort.

Westy likes this

If people successfully manage this and get it working, post it up here and I'll edit the guide with a list of confirmed engines and model years it works on. 

Edited by Mashed Potatoes