jake13

Fuel consumption (mpg) gauge to read oil temperature

47 posts in this topic

Nice find. The live MPG needle is the most pointless thing on earth. It's so ironic that BMW decided it was a good move to omit a coolant temp gauge on the cluster and the thermostats are one of the most likely components to fail on this model.

Oil temp is always a good one to keep an eye on and is often overlooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pidgeonpost and Vlady like this

Too true about the temperature gauge and MPG gauge. Must've been someone on work experience and it got past QC.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

That's a brilliant idea. I wonder if you could get a custom printed dial face that has temperature on instead so you'd have an accurate reading.

I've found a company that can produce custom dial mats for the E60, so I'm gonna speak to them and see if they can make exact copies of our dials, the ones they show on their website have oil temp, but are in KM/H instead. I'm hoping they can print an exact copy of the OEM one but just swap the oil bit over.

Westy likes this

I did this today testing it with tool32 goes up when I input a value such as 100 or 150 bit while driving does not seem to rise.

Any ideas? 

It's the m57 it's a 535d and as far as I know it has an oil temp sensor. 2006 reg pre lci

It's the m57 it's a 535d and as far as I know it has an oil temp sensor. 2006 reg pre lci

Mines a 2007 and I don't have a oil temp sensor or gauge

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I don't have a gauge either but doing a parts search on car shows oil temperature sensor maybemines fault

don't we already have an oil temp gauge as such, on the outside of the rev counter?

*bump*

I'm sat in the car now trying to program this, but I keep getting ERROR BIN BUFFER in the status window at the start. I have double checked and the argument is entered correctly. Does anyone have any idea on this? Cheers

If you do work it out please rewrite the instructions in understandable English as the translation on that German website is confusing me! Also, what gauge is it that he has in the pic? It's not mpg like we have.

Mashed Potatoes likes this

Like a boss!

20170317_204617.jpgScreenshot_20170317-204746.png

Sunday I'll do a proper write up of how to do it. It's actually not that difficult. Next I'm going to change the divisions on the gauge to bring the needle in at 50 degrees instead of 75. 

Edited by Mashed Potatoes
Dotcom1970 and Westy like this

I'm hoping so, yes. I've also emailed the company I found a while ago that make custom gauge dials. If it's not massively expensive I'll order a set and swap it over so it'll look like it should.

Westy likes this

Right played more. After about 10 miles I have deduced running temp is about 80 degrees. It got to 80 and pretty much sat there, and that was cruising down the motorway and then a quick play in 2nd and 3rd on the way home. I now have 50mpg showing as 80. I'm going to try and offset this more by starting the scale at 40 rather than 50, and go up the scale in increments of 20 instead of 25 thus running temp would be needle pointing straight down at 80 degrees. Max gauge temp would then be 120. The coding for temperature only has 5 divisions from what I can tell, not 6 so the 16MPG line is effectively not there. Perfect for the OCD! It's already irritating me being off to one side. But enough playing tonight I have brain ache. 

20170317_230917.jpgScreenshot_20170317-230902.png

Edited by Mashed Potatoes
Westy likes this

13 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Like a boss!

20170317_204617.jpgScreenshot_20170317-204746.png

Sunday I'll do a proper write up of how to do it. It's actually not that difficult. Next I'm going to change the divisions on the gauge to bring the needle in at 50 degrees instead of 75. 

Wonder if my stat is playing up, as my rev counter outer never get much beyond 4.5K - Mind you, You have a 535d so perhaps....

I was under the impression that bit at the side of the rev counter was supposed to move. I've certainly seen it move on other 5 series but mine never has. 

For anyone local I'm happy to code this for you. Just let me keep experimenting on mine first!

What's this bit about the rev counter outer moving? I've seen a few people mention it. Any pics/vids?