gaza01

Exhaust mod

17 posts in this topic

Guys any experience of exhaust mods. Im after a cheap exhaust mod to get a deeper exhaust note. Ultimately i'll be doing a full custom exhaust with tubular manifolds etc but until then in was thinking of just chopping off the back box. Any experience of this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to be recommended to be honest, but if I was doing this, the centre box would be the one I would delete. Just be aware that this may affect back pressure and performance as well as noise level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As above. I did that on a Saab 900 turbo. Had a lovely gurgle after that with no obvious loss in grunt.

Suggest that the system isn't particularly 'tuned' especially when you consider the manifold so why not suck it an see if replacing anyway.

Out of interest what system are you choosing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

As above. I did that on a Saab 900 turbo. Had a lovely gurgle after that with no obvious loss in grunt.

Suggest that the system isn't particularly 'tuned' especially when you consider the manifold so why not suck it an see if replacing anyway.

Out of interest what system are you choosing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

As in delete the centre section rather than the back box? 

 

There's 2 options for the system and its all dependant on where i get to with the engine.

 

At the moment im using the car daily and tinkering on the weekends. My aim is to get it running as best as is possible and then see if i can live with it performance wise. When i picked up the car it was lethargic and slow. I've since done plugs, rotor, oil, coolant and this weekend cleaned the idle control valve. Just these bits alone have made the car so much better...like 50% better if i were to try to measure it. I still have a lumpy idle...in fact its worse now than before i cleaned the idle control valve but the car is pulling 10x better. So on to the next possible culprit...after a read of the Bentley manual

 

So at the end when i think ive got engine to the best it can be i'll make the call as to whether to keep it as is (preferred and likely option) or to slap a turbo on it.

 

Keeping it bone stock then i'll be looking at the schmiedmann tubular manifold and then get the likes of a magnaflow or someone to do from the manifold back

 

Going the turbo option then i'll be looking at a manifold and full system from someone who can do decent flowing manifolds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I meant delete centre box as jam suggested.

Go careful with schneidmann stuff as I think it's lhd fitment so will foul the steering box.

Very few rhd manifold options other than fritz aiui.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, duncan-uk said:

I meant delete centre box as jam suggested.

Go careful with schneidmann stuff as I think it's lhd fitment so will foul the steering box.

Very few rhd manifold options other than fritz aiui.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

I was going to send them an email to confirm as they do say on their site they make them for RHD. If they dont then i doubt i'll be upgrading the manifold anytime soon as 750 from fritz is too much imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't bother with FB. It sounds good but does nothing for performance imo.

If I was doing an m30 again I'd go for a schrick cam and exhaust system only and perhaps look at an arm delete and unichip (not sure if that works on the l tronic) Wouldn't bother with a manifold. Though there was a listing a while back for e24/34 manifolds iirc that looked promising for the e28 I was tempted but events over took me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's running right it should be quick enough I should think. Unless you go turbo chasing power in n/a form is expensive and gains are small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

I wouldn't bother with FB. It sounds good but does nothing for performance imo.

If I was doing an m30 again I'd go for a schrick cam and exhaust system only and perhaps look at an arm delete and unichip (not sure if that works on the l tronic) Wouldn't bother with a manifold. Though there was a listing a while back for e24/34 manifolds iirc that looked promising for the e28 I was tempted but events over took me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Im after sound with regard to the exhaust. I want it to sound like a proper 6cylinder. Best example is the e46 330i. If i can get that sound from an exhaust system excluding a tubular manifold then great.

 

I also agree and think (hope) that once i get all the engine bits up to scratch she should be decent enough power wise. Im not chasing huge amouns of power...ive got a e92 335i tuned up to over 400bhp and soon to go up to nearer 500 in the next month or so. I just want the e28 to be a bit more spirited and i think in her natural form with all things working as they should she can!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fritz is very deep - makes the engine sound lazy like its not working hard which i think is because of the Nº 6 primary being so much longer than the rest.

 

I'm not familar with the 330 sound on full chat but if its like an early M50 325 it will sound much more zingy and snarly than the m30 with an FB manifold.

 

Try the centre box delete i reckon,

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

The fritz is very deep - makes the engine sound lazy like its not working hard which i think is because of the Nº 6 primary being so much longer than the rest.

 

I'm not familar with the 330 sound on full chat but if its like an early M50 325 it will sound much more zingy and snarly than the m30 with an FB manifold.

 

Try the centre box delete i reckon,

 

 

 

The 330 is really low and deep.

I'll try the centre section delete and let u know how it sounds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, TrM5 said:

Did yoy make any progress on this?

 

No i didnt. The more i got deeper into the car is the more problems i found. Exhaust is the last thing on the list unfortunately 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If its purely noise you're after mine has straight pipes front to back with one rear silencer and is extremely loud!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite like this.....

 

looks like its an entire system including manifolds though by the description......pricey.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now