Big Gaz (1)

Oil level up dipstick + thin??

11 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Anyone had this before??

1997 M52B25 e39 523i - 92000miles, I've had it over 6months now and done probably 3000miles.  

When reading the dipstick oil is far past the full mark and this oil appears thinner than normal.....

The oil doesn't smell of fuel and starts fine everytime hot or cold start etc.

As it's done 6months like this I'm guessing the head gasket is ok!!

Would we presume the oil separator is doing something to my oil and the dipstick return to the sump is a bit blocked maybe?? 

Any thoughts greatly received! - I did an oil change approx a month ago thinking maybe the last owner had overfilled with the wrong oil or something but low and behold it is just the same!!

I've used fully synth 0W-40 by the way.

Thanks!

Garry

Only way to find out is to drain and measure whats come out, refill with fresh to spec and check every few days to see if the lvl increases again.

What was the level on the dipstick when you refilled after the oil change? I knew someone who had problems because he had the wrong dipstick in the car and using the level on this he was overfilling with oil. However if the level was right when you filled up  with the correct amount of oil but is now high there is clearly a problem. 

Yeah, I measured out 6.5ltrs to put in at the time of the change and the dip-stick read correct...

So it's either something getting in there or the system is pressurising... I'll leave the dipstick out overnight and the filler cap off maybe to see if it reads correct in the morning.....

Thanks Gents

Probably the oil is being diluted with fuel if the oil seems very thin.

Worn bores and short journeys perhaps ?

Leaky fuel injector, fuel goes past the piston rings and dilutes the oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

Soz, been away from work and computer at home broken! :(

I've done some long journeys and the level of oil and consistency on the dipstick has returned to normal!

I can't confirm the injectors aren't leaking but it starts perfectly every time hot or cold which has never been the case on other cars with leaky ones..

I guess maybe there is some cold start blowby which is rich and being hoovered up by the PCV system and dropped down the dipstick tube on short journeys??? - In my mind this is a very long stretch but a theory at least!!! :)

I'm kind of happy the engine is ok for now at least as this has been going on for months!

IMO that oils too thin for these engines anyways; at least 5W 40 or 5W 30, maybe try 10W 40 and see if it does the same!

Just use ECP TripleX oil and their Mann filter, can be had for less than £30 all in...

Do you know what, I think I might have got the initial post wrong, it might already be 5W 40 thinking about it!! - I bought one of the 20L tubs from ECP as I do our e46 with the same... I'll check later and edit post!!!

10W-40 is NOT thicker than 0W-40.

0w-40 flows better cold, but when up to temp they are both the same.

They both thin out as they get hot, and the 10W-40 is just a lot more resistant to good flow when cold.