535i Andrew

Towing in France - Spare wheel requirement?

14 posts in this topic

My dad has previously towed and is going to tow his caravan again to France this year with his F10 which has runflats.

He has heard from one of his colleagues "who is knowledgeable about cars"  that because he is towing, the car must have a spare tyre even if rft equipped.  Which to me and my dad sounds completely bonkers but then again this is France and they have got some real quirks as to what you must do to remain legal whilst driving in France. Caravan has a spare....

Is this just, as suspected, a load of old bollocks?

Jerome likes this

Technically the requirement to carry a spare applies to any vehicle, not just one towing.

However, given they sell BMWs new there without spare wheels (that's an assumption, but I bet they do) then I wouldn't worry about it.

The exact reason why I stick with run flats. Yes, they are harder, yes they are more expensive, but you'll be glad you have them fitted if you get a flat.

Sod carrying a spare.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, dan101smith said:

However, given they sell BMWs new there without spare wheels (that's an assumption, but I bet they do) then I wouldn't worry about it.

That was our conclusion.

Perhaps if rft equipped then you are ok.

7 minutes ago, Spreadly said:

but you'll be glad you have them fitted if you get a flat.

Agree to some extent, when I mashed my last E60 into a pothole, I got home because of the rft, if it was an ordinary, I would have been stuck. But because I didn't have a spare, because I didn't need one because I had rfts, I could not drive the car until I got a new rim and tyre.

I still have the run flats and always carry a spare.

Correction I have run flats in the Summer and non Run flats in the WInter and always carry a spare regardless

I also always carry a spare for whatever it is I am towing. especially the Horse Box.

Not worth pissing about taking the risk not too in my books, so whether it is required or not in foreign parts is totally academic to me personally.

The exact reason why I stick with run flats. Yes, they are harder, yes they are more expensive, but you'll be glad you have them fitted if you get a flat.

Sod carrying a spare.

Really? I've had to be towed back with trashed run flats on four occasions over the last few years.

Three of them had a sidewall collapse and of course they all needed replacing at £250 a pop.

The last one that went on the M1 on the way to a job would have cost me over £500 if I hadn’t the space saver.

I always carry it.

Ratboy01 and sshooie like this

Sounds like you were unlucky with your tyres.

Where do you carry the space saver? On the floor of the boot? Along with a jack and wheel brace?

I carry a space saver spare /jack under the floor in the boot, After getting rid of the RFs

in the GT there is a big space with cubbyhole and storage holes underneath so took it all out and fit a new  m d f

top covered with carpet.

i even take my tule kwick fit snow chains! 

Be prepaired that was what I was all ways told !!

535i Andrew likes this

On 15/01/2017 at 1:55 PM, 535iAR said:

Sounds like you were unlucky with your tyres.

Where do you carry the space saver? On the floor of the boot? Along with a jack and wheel brace?

I boot is almost always full with kit for my biz so even the back seats spend most of their life folded down. I bought a bag for the spacesaver and it lies on top of the gear. Not ideal but at least I won’t need to be brought back on a transporter for the sake of a spare. If they hadn’t filled the well beneath the boot floor with a honking great battery etc it could fit under there.

It's another form of insurance,since I've had all this lot in the boot,I haven't had a flat (touch wood) or enough snow or ice to make me use the chains !!

Do we ever get enough snow for long enough to warrant chains?

if the snow isn't deep enough you will just damage your chains which may then damage the wheel and bodywork.

If the snow is too deep then it's probably best not to go out at all.

Different call if you are out in the car right enough.

Do you have chains that fit your given wheel and tyre size? I looked into it and they never fitted my staggered E60 set up, meaning I would need a different wheel tyre size, then I would be better off buying a set of winter tyres and rims.

Hi I have the Thule K-Summit type !

They only go just over half the width of the tyre and sprung from the wheel bolts! 

Pushing it on to the wheel, you take out or add sections to fit tyre size!

i can fit them in 10/15 mins no problem, not like the old ones I used to take to the Alps! that you had to lay on your back and wrap the round the wheels! Freezing to death!

ive only ever used them getting out of a muddy field!

but if it keeps the snow away when im out im happy!

535i Andrew likes this

Greetings.

My 2013 520d has run flats. Spare wheels (spaceavers) are hard to get. BMW have an alloy kit and charge £480. I am on 17" rims. Found a company in Manchester that sourced an 18" with smaller tyre on steel for less than half the price. Yet BMW insist the only one available is the alloy. Pays to look around I suppose.

Cheers

sshooie likes this