sayanthan

Hypothetical alpina 4.6 question

I was browsing for an e39 sport front bumper for my e39 540 touring and came across a few used Alpina front bumpers and also a used 4.6 engine which on asking the breaker was mated to a 5HP24 gearbox , same one as in mine car. He has the ecu keys immobiliser etc. also seen a few sets of wheels.

4 questions:-

- Is this a straight forward drop in? Will I need to upgrade the radiator/cooling system?

- are mounting points the same?

- is the steering box in the b10 v8 the same as the 540? Not sure if there are any clearance issues?

- I'm buying some m5 Russ fellows headers and cats which should bolt onto a 540...will they also bolt onto a 4.6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's the same block afaik so yes it should drop straight in and take the headers too. I believe the alpina is a breathed. 540 anyway. Don't imagine they changed cooling system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the same block afaik so yes it should drop straight in and take the headers too. I believe the alpina is a breathed. 540 anyway. Don't imagine they changed cooling system.

Steering box is standard 540 and only difference on the cooling system is Alpina specc'ed the tropical rad which flows a bit more coolant.

bit if thread hogging here Duncan plus four lots of phone costs  :blink:

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 9:37 AM, duncan-uk said:

Yes it'll drop right in, you'll have to change the sump over though as the E53 sump differs to the E39.

I looked at doing the swap when I had my 540i/6, but couldn't find a 4.6 lump for reasonable money at all.