JOhnKE39530d

F10 530d - best improvement mods

Hi All,  I have my F10530d LCI and while its a great car, I'm  the stage where it just needs a mid life sharpen up (like myself :-) ) Can't afford a 535d so what are the recommend mods to liven it up and sharpen it up a bit? Has anyone done a DMS remap on one of these and what are the results. ? Or Simon EMap? Someone else on here has put genuine M5 wheels and non RFTs and reduce the unstrung weight - will that work on the 530d ( brake calipers clearance?), anything to reduce roll a bit, best brake pads,  etc

thanks

Cannot directly relate however:

DMS: had an E61 535d that was DMS'd and it was awesome, it was reverted back to standard at one point and there was a significant difference

RFTs: removed them on every BMW I have had to improve the ride quality and overall tyre performance. Well working doing in my opinion.

clearance: the 530d has smaller discs and corresponding calipers so no clearance issues if you are fitting OEM wheels. However not sure if the offset changes. Someone smarter will be along soon.

F10 535d vs 530d: been in both and the difference is there but subtle. The wife's 535d is awesome but in daily driving she wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Thanks Lennox. Interested and a bit surprised at your last comment re F10 530vs 535. Anyway that's kind of my point. The 530d is bloody good and with the right few tweaks it could be even better.

like you I've ditched every RFT and will be doing same... Kind of interested in the lighter M5 20s

brakes and suspension are ok but a tad better would be welcome, sharper, stiffer,

enginer great eat and economy is silly good for the PCs NS size of the thing but if I could get a little more from it - great. I've read good things about DMS and emaps, so looking for those who have actually done it on this car.

thanks

I own a 535D and drive 530D's at work, for me the difference is quite marked whereby when driving a 530 I find myself pushing a lot harder on the accelerator to the extent that the gearbox keeps changing down a gear or two to achieve a similar rate of acceleration making the 530 feel rather 'busy' and TBH sluggish by comparison with the 535, for overtaking the 535 rarely drops to a lower gear using it's greater grunt/torque. Having said that there's little wrong with the performance of a 530, it's just that when you're used to driving a 535 a 530 just lacks low down grunt. 

Oh in the 535d with VDC a 530d non VDC would not know what way the twin turbo car went but in general driving all I'm saying is my wife wouldn't know the difference. Driven slightly illegally it's a beast.

Sorry have access to and drive bigger faster cars (Bentley SS, 2017 GTR, etc). So my gauges are nicely skewed.

Thanks guys.  Ideally a 535d would be the one and I might end up there (or same engine in a 640d) but I'm still interested to hear from anyone who has done reputable remap and sensible chassis upgrades on a F10 530d Anyone done this ? 

I hope that's sarcasm LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comfort yeah, if you don't have VDC

Handling no, especially if you do have VDC.

Comfort yeah, if you don't have VDC

Handling no, especially if you do have VDC.

If I wanted pure comfort I'd drive an S class, definitely not an F07! As I want a nice balance between comfort, performance and handling I drive an F10.

If I wanted pure comfort I'd drive an S class, definitely not an F07! As I want a nice balance between comfort, performance and handling I drive an F10.

No you would have someone drive you in a Phantom!!!

Well,  I mentioned chassis upgrades I wasn't thinking comfort, more handling. Someone on here replaced wheels with OEM M5 and non RFT reducing unsprung weight with good results. Maybe a stiffer set of shocks when needed and what brake pads work well. And a remap .... Seems like not May folks have modded F10s.

Regards the F07, I don't know anything about them really, and it'll stay that way because I just don't like the look of them ... Kind of nondescript design that's 'in between' In my opinion, but each to their own. Thanks for the constructive comments above.

The suggestion of the F07 isn't as daft as it seems. I came from an E61 and several E39's before that, I test drove several different BMW models including the F10 and the F07's chassis is far superior to any other 5 series I've driven. Even with my 21" wheels it rides well and corners better than its 2 tonne weight would suggest. 

However, I appreciate that wasn't your question, but this is a discussion forum and I thought I'd just add a bit of opposition. 

Re the unsprung weight, does it really make that much difference?  I changed from 20" wheels to 21" wheels adding about 4kg per corner, I noticed that the car is more stable on the motorway and no adverse affects on the corners. I have non runflat tyres on my 21's though that may have had an affect on the change from 20" wheels that had standard runflats. 

I used to tune Mk1 golfs and a coil over kit was always a good option. As well as some decent dampers. Not sure about the F10 though. 

you can get the m performance power upgrade

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/accessories/accessoryfinder/finder.html

loads of stuff in there

BMW M Performance Power Kit for BMW 530d

Output increase from 190kW to 210kW. Torque increase from 560Nm to 600Nm. New engine control unit, modified engine electronics, a more powerful intercooler and, for vehicles up to 07/13, new and larger brake components for the front axle