TwoZeroAlpha

Goodbye to my 5

11 posts in this topic

The time has come to say goodbye to my E61, I've just got myself a 56 plate Jag XKR which I am loving (although it is much less practical). Scratches the V8 itch I've had for a while. Looked at 6ers but the styling just didn't work for me and I wanted something different so the 540/550i weren't really an option as I would always have a direct comparison to the 535d.

So my question, in selling my car people in inevitably want to test drive, those of you who have bought and sold privately, do you trust the buyer to have insurance or make them sign a "you break it you buy it" type of form... if so, what sort of wording did you use or agree to?

Thanks

1eedbfab8ecdec811efa7543135226b3.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't let them. I will take the car out and demonstrate that it's a good running car. If they want to test drive that car, I tell them to drive a local car and if they liked that mine would be the same if not better.

Saying that, I have only let one buyer drive a car I was selling (X5) but considering he was the local chief superintendent, I guessed it was ok.

TwoZeroAlpha likes this

Its got to be a difficult decision to make,"Do i let a stranger drive my pride and joy?".Most people over 25,i would imagine,have cover to drive any car not belonging to them but the coverage is generally 3rd party only,so,if they cause damage to your car on the test drive its not covered!.The only option would be to insist on seeing a one day insurance cover for your car before test drive OR take them somewhere on private land,like an industrial estate where theres just enough area for a good try out of the gearbox,engine etc and where you can control their driving.Having to get one day cover for a test drive will put a lot of people off BUT if they genuinely are wanting to buy the type of car you're selling it probably would'nt!.PS,just from a personal point of view,i would never buy a car without being able to test drive it,the issue to me would be "What are they trying to hide!.But thats just me :). PPS: That Jag does look really nice!!.

Edited by badoffroader
TwoZeroAlpha likes this

Thanks both, will have to get a feel for the buyer(s) when they come to view. When I purchased it originally the owner let me drive, but I did have my wife and infant son in the car, so that may have shown some level of responsibility. 

By the way a lot of car insurance companies will add an extra car into your insurance for a low charge. This is to cover dealer hire cars and when you buy a new car and are selling your 1st car. This happened to me recently when my lease car was extended whilst I bought a new car. It was circa £20 for a week.

People tend to want the car with their heads and those are the buyers you want. I know it's a hassle.

I once sold a merc and the guy was driving it sideways around a bend not listening to me say 'watch the bend'. He had no regards for the cyclist he almost hit. Emergency stop followed from a 0-60.

It's not worth it. They can jump out and run away. Plus most of these cover notes are printed straight from a computer.

I always part ex even though I know I'll get less than selling it privately, because I can't deal with the headache of people who fancy a drive out at the weekend. They then know where the car is parked, have your home address ETC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loadmaster likes this

^^^^^^^

Some good points there.

The dilema is that with cars of a certain age, a part ex is out of the question if a reasonable return is needed, or indeed justified. Take a lot of our 5s for example, maybe discounting the M5, and I'm talking E39s here. In a mad moment of considering a rearrangement of family vehicles recently, I put mine up for part ex against a small hatchback and was offered ....... £250!! :lol:

OK, mine's just a lowly 523i, but it does have a factory fitted sportpack from build (suspension, leather sports interior etc). It's a two owner vehicle, low mileage, full history and with original bill of sale.

I might not get a lot more than £1k if I sold it privately (to the right person), but it's a whole lot more than £250.

Dealer p/ex doesn't take much into account, it's just an old BMW which drinks fuel and costs to put road tax on.

My mad moment subsided btw....  

pidgeonpost, jones73 and 53039e like this

The previous owner of mine said I couldn't drive it without full insurance so I let him take me for a drive and listened out for anything untoward. As I'd been out in a similar model previously I had confidence that it drove/sounded OK. Had I not had prior experience I might have had a different thought pattern.

I've let people drive a car before as I've usually run out of patience selling it to want to dissuade possible buyers!

^^^^^^^

As above, I think that a good test drive provided by the owner over a whole range of driving styles and roads, acceleration/braking/cornering etc, is possibly 90% of the experience that you'd get if driving the car yourself. I'd insist on a few motorway miles and at least a 30 minute total elapsed time for the whole drive as well. 

I wouldn't consider it as wasting the seller's time, as if I'd got that far I'd be pretty likely to buy it if the test/demo drive went well. I'd have no problem doing that for a potential buyer if I were selling privately. 

1 minute ago, Loadmaster said:

^^^^^^^

As above, I think that a good test drive provided by the owner over a whole range of driving styles and roads, acceleration/braking/cornering etc, is possibly 90% of the experience that you'd get if driving the car yourself. I'd insist on a few motorway miles (failing one of those being near, a long dual carriageway) and at least a 30 minute total elapsed time for the whole drive as well. 

I wouldn't consider it as wasting the seller's time, as if I'd got that far I'd be pretty likely to buy it if the test/demo drive went well. I'd have no problem doing that for a potential buyer if I were selling privately. 

It's a catch 22 for me. Whatever that means, can someone explain? 

My thoughts as Buyer: 

Me personally I would not buy a car without test driving. People have different standards to other people, a car that feels fine to someone, may not feel good enough to me and vice versa. There is so so much that someone can hide by driving the car themselves and you being a passenger. As a passenger you have no idea how the clutch, brakes, gears and handling feels. Someone could easily mask any negative qualities, especially if they drive the car regularly. The only advantage I see of this being a passenger is that you have more time to test all the switches.

My thoughts as Seller: 

I would not be too keen about letting someone test drive my pride and joy. 

When I sold my last e46 an 18 year old bought it. I didn't let him test drive, instead I drove him and the car to his house and had one of his friends drop me off.

So there you go in this situation I contradict myself.  

One day insurance is easy to but these days. A serious buyer wouldn't baulk at spending that to be fully covered

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

One day insurance is easy to but these days. A serious buyer wouldn't baulk at spending that to be fully covered