Sign in to follow this  
pauliexjr

Selling a car, now or wait?

OK, I now have the E61, but the guy (read tosser) who was definitely/absolutely/no-two-ways-about-it taking the E39 has backed out because "Er, I didn't realise it was a diesel!" WTF, what did he think the 'D' in 530d stood for???

So the old girl is going on the market. Having said that I'm not desperate to sell so is it worth mothballing it until say March/April time in the hope of getting a decent price or do I just stick it on Gumtree/Evilbay (even here) now and hope someone can see past Christmas?

I hate selling cars at the best of times "I will offer you one thousand of your English pounds cash money today" "It's a present for my son/daughter, I'm working offshore right now, but I will send you a cheque for £5k, cash it and give the balance to my 'shipper' when he collects the car"  etc. etc. :angry:

Its probably not going to hurt to put it either on here or Gumtree,its free and you'll get an idea of what sort of buyers are about.As you know,people,generally,don't like spending a lot of money around Christmas time and may only buy if its what they see as a bargain - i.e you would have to include in the sale,either,several pints of blood or a couple of small children to sweeten the deal :)

Not a good idea to try and sell a car this time of the year unless you put it on gumtree or any of the other free add sites where its not costing you or you could put it on ebay in a classified ad for around £20 for a month otherwise sit on it till spring

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would say selling now is better than in Jan/feb. as I'll be looking come Jan/feb and I will want a pound of flesh with the car that I'll be buying! :lol: 

also if I go to a garage to do the deal I'll want full price for mine and I will get it ;) 

but the likes of gumtree and even auto trader you will get all the lads phoning up asking what's you're best price mate an it's Christmas in a few weeks so I'll give you 3 buttons and half a stick of juicy fruit gum, and they think they are doing YOU a favor! :lol: 

if you can wait I'd wait until March. 

Goodluck with whatever you decide 

3 hours ago, kjb1 said:

do tell us a bit more re: the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2001 530d Sport saloon, silver with black leather and M-sport trim, well spec'd with sunroof, electric seats and double-DIN head unit (needs a sat-nav chip) 127k miles, £380 spent on an oil service and new MOT on 25th November with no advisories, very clean with very few milage marks, no car-park dings but some minor damage to the front spoiler which was there when I bought it in April for £3k, I've just never got round to getting it sorted. Good tyres on Style 60 staggered wheels and a new battery about a month ago. I'd be looking at for £2k ovno.

It's filthy at the moment and I'm away from home until Sunday so I'll get a proper ad up with some decent photos when it's' clean. Oh, and I live in Scotland, about 15 miles from Edinburgh so anyone interested must be prepared to travel! 

I've bought two cars recently and at this time of year the prices are lower and the dealers more willing to do a deal. Just don't expect to sell any car of your own for a 'good' price at the same time.

Sent from my Xperia when my back was turned

I would say selling now is better than in Jan/feb. as I'll be looking come Jan/feb and I will want a pound of flesh with the car that I'll be buying! :lol: 

also if I go to a garage to do the deal I'll want full price for mine and I will get it

Price of scrap is based on weight. Of course you'll get the full price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk