Big_Vern

The old girl needs some tlc

35 posts in this topic

I've not been on here for a while and account had difficulties.  I have a 1999 M5 in silverstone blue, its currently in the air looking sorry for its self.  Quite a list of new parts needed s not a cheap job as you all know.  suspension refresh as one of each front & rear lost rebound opposite corners....  rear subframe bushes & powerflex inserts, full caliper overhaul including flexible's two new front discs and rear brake lines.  And to my disappointment the rust worms had a chew at rear jacking point, all seals intact no leaks in car but rotted out.  So that's my start of my resto, no doubt there will be many more items.  

20161020_180606.jpg

20161028_170359.jpg

20161028_170652.jpg

20161028_170701.jpg

20161028_170730.jpg

20161105_110130.jpg

20161028_170230.jpg

20161028_170801.jpg

Edited by Big_Vern
added photo

1999 = 17 years of uk road crap and weather, hence we all doing or soon will be doing the same as you. !

hope  you discover no more rust horrors.

That's the major rust area but will be doing preventative work else ware with a bloody good under seal and wax injection to give another 17yrs I hope

urquattro likes this

Well it looks as if you have a nice place to do all the work. Mine is the same age but i'm ahead of you as my brake lines and shocks are done but i still have the sills to sort out the rear is the worst part.

Kenny, glad I built the garage first as the poor old thing has been sat out in all the elements for a couple of years now so its only right the first major job in it is the M5, still undecided which way to go with replacement shocks, local stealer wants £1100 approx for 4 bare struts !!!!! had many a good reading with different peoples opinions and in that I'm still on the fence with that. Near side is not bad just surface rust and thought that would be worst with mud n sh1t in road side. Going to make new pipes in cunifer, all calipers now in bits with one piston showing corrosion on chromed surface, might make some new ones in S/S as I have a lathe,

I wouldn't bother with the cunifer. I got all four brake lines from BMW for around £80. They don't come pre-formed unfortunately, but at least they're coated steel like the originals, are the perfect length and come with fittings on both ends. F*** swaging lines for that price.

I wouldn't bother with the cunifer. I got all four brake lines from BMW for around £80. They don't come pre-formed unfortunately, but at least they're coated steel like the originals, are the perfect length and come with fittings on both ends. F*** swaging lines for that price.

Seeing as the originals rust and you still need to shape them anyway is that such a great deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a good cut out today and not as bad as I thought it was going to be, also a good cleanup of brake parts but pity I don't have the use of a blast cabinet.  More to follow as I progress and the ever increasing parts list. Lastly they twisted wire grinding disks also work on metal. :o

20161106_143838.jpg

20161106_143558.jpg

20161105_152801.jpg

20161106_144031.jpg

Had a good cut out today and not as bad as I thought it was going to be, also a good cleanup of brake parts but pity I don't have the use of a blast cabinet.  More to follow as I progress and the ever increasing parts list. Lastly they twisted wire grinding disks also work on metal. 

20161106_143838.thumb.jpg.037c5f2c210a0195d6c5f908977cd5f3.jpg

20161106_143558.thumb.jpg.313893256a7c12f0a2ddfca66250ef82.jpg

20161105_152801.thumb.jpg.42c5770472fbdba9033f14ffcc0b48a7.jpg

20161106_144031.thumb.jpg.20d77d4e1d4a8b5a1f3d122a6ad3d5fe.jpg

I have an unused can of graphite grey high temperature paint for those calipers if you're interested. Good for 650C. I wasn't able to use it as it requires the parts to be heated to 160C immediately after painting. Not much good if the caliper is still on576a35a79380d25d67e211a6b5742283.jpg the car. Yours for the cost of postage if you want it.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Hi, thanks for the offer of the paint but I'm swaying to black at the moment but it could change. I'll keep you in mind if I do. 

pidgeonpost likes this

Gave the calipers and brackets a try in my ultrasonic bath, good results so far

20161112_153936.jpg

20161112_154441.jpg

pidgeonpost likes this

Wow! If those are the same calipers as in your first post the ultrasonic cleaner has done an amazing job!

Thanks pidgeonpost, yes they are the same ones and really pleased with how they've scrubbed up. I might yet be giving you a reply for the grey high temp spray.

Thanks pidgeonpost, yes they are the same ones and really pleased with how they've scrubbed up. I might yet be giving you a reply for the grey high temp spray.

Paint still here if you want it. I can squirt a bit on a surface if you want an idea of colour. Can't risk baking it in the oven while the Mrs is around though.

I've already heated up a ring gear in the oven for a mate after machining down his flywheel so the house is used to a bit of smoke.

urquattro likes this

Just a quick update to the progress of the old girl.... I've just ordered original front & rear shocks, two rear steel brake pipes, two rear caliper repair kits. and the fuel vapour line which had rotted through.  Extracted the sub frame bushes with the tool in pics, I will also be adding the powerflex bush inserts too. Finished welding the to offside rotted area, I'm not a welder but as an old boss once said its GORILLA welding..... ugly but strong :rolleyes: just need to seam sealer to make it look good !!!!!  

20161122_132935_resized.jpg

20161122_133021_resized.jpg

20161122_134646.jpg

ger likes this

I would be interested to see how much of a job the fuel vapour line is to replace. Mine is looking a bit worse for wear but looks like the tank may need dropping to get to it.

Also, how were the original subframe bushes? i know the touring boys tend to change these but I thought the saloon was much less susceptible to chewing these up? 

Your right about the tank it would need dropping but you might get away with pushing it to the rear a bit to access the pipe clips as it's only sticks about 70mm up from where it bends round the body, so you should be able to reach it with side cutters, your looking around £25 for the pipe. After removing  my subframe bushes only one had come away fron the centre aluminium insert, as to why I decided to change these was a rocking of car fwd to aft when pulling up to stop or when applying the handbrake. I hope this helps.

Good stuff, I'll have a better look next time I'm under the car. 

Great job by the way, looking forward to future updates.

On 22/11/2016 at 4:41 PM, Jameswsb said:
On 22/11/2016 at 4:41 PM, Jameswsb said:

I would be interested to see how much of a job the fuel vapour line is to replace. Mine is looking a bit worse for wear but looks like the tank may need dropping to get to it.

Also, how were the original subframe bushes? i know the touring boys tend to change these but I thought the saloon was much less susceptible to chewing these up? 

Jameswsb

Here is a pic of how far up under the body the pipe reaches, the 70mm was a bit shy also the part # if you need to purchase.  Lastly happy new shockers to me, just need to clean up the front strut peices and grease up the bearing race.

583c5db93d0a6_20161128_160026(2).thumb.j583c5d9ea4042_20161128_160030(1).thumb.j583c5e3e4ec27_20161128_160254(1).thumb.j

Thanks for that. Looks like the tank needs dropping then. I might see if i can clean it up and get some dinitrol on to stop any future corrosion if its not too far gone. I bet coughing up for the new struts hurt!

2 hours ago, Jameswsb said:

Thanks for that. Looks like the tank needs dropping then. I might see if i can clean it up and get some dinitrol on to stop any future corrosion if its not too far gone. I bet coughing up for the new struts hurt!

Coughing..... I'm still on Oxygen

Jameswsb likes this

Here's the rear calipers all sprayed and baked in the oven, new seals and just waiting for the last front caliper to finish final bake.  Thanks pigeonpost for the spray, i bought a couple more as i like to give a good depth of paint.  Ned to purchase a new front piston as the chrome has lifted and like things right especially hydraulic systems.  further updates as I progress.  Big Vee

20161224_113234.jpg

20161224_113248.jpg

pidgeonpost likes this

Here's the rear calipers all sprayed and baked in the oven, new seals and just waiting for the last front caliper to finish final bake.  Thanks pigeonpost for the spray, i bought a couple more as i like to give a good depth of paint.  Ned to purchase a new front piston as the chrome has lifted and like things right especially hydraulic systems.  further updates as I progress.  Big Vee

20161224_113234.thumb.jpg.ad69850e7c99f91de611f026e49adf90.jpg

20161224_113248.thumb.jpg.d4d47d3a82abb340bc06298a38ba2762.jpg

That's looking good. Glad the paint worked out - should look very smart when back on the car.