535i Andrew

Ice scraper or de-icer spray?

21 posts in this topic

So which do you use to remove ice from your car windows? Had ice on the window yesterday morning so that's winter here then!

I always used a scraper to remove ice as I was always worried about de-icer sprays damaging my paintwork and wiper blades.

Reading some of the blurb that came with my car, BMW say, do not use a scraper and that you should use de-icer spray instead presumably to prevent the glass being scratched.

Any recommendations for a de-icer spray then?

I'm a scraper man meself. In fact, in an uncharacteristic display of pension money, I have two. Just small cheapies. One sits in the garage the other in the car. Perhaps sprays have improved in recent years but I got fed up with spraying only to have everything freeze again once I was on the move. Sure, scraping is tedious but if you do a decent job and not a 4" x2" peephole it still doesn't take that long.

I'd not heard about BMW's recommendation not to scrape. I suppose they may have a point if you have a very dirty windscreen as mud, grit etc. could act as an abrasive. I haven't had to use a scraper for the last couple of winters down here in the soft underbelly of England.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

535i Andrew likes this

I scrape if I have to but luckily I don't often have to drive first thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke warm water does the trick for me. My dads being doing it for years and I have picked up his habit. Never had a windscreen crack yet due to this. 

When that's not a option then its de-icer and scrapper together.  

I know I am going to get so many shaking heads when this is read. 

Edited by Mr_530i
e60530i likes this

9 minutes ago, Mr_530i said:

Luke warm water does the trick for me. My dads being doing it for years and I have picked up his habit. Never had a windscreen crack yet due to this. 

When that's not a option then its de-icer and scrapper together.  

I know I am going to get so many shaking heads when this is read. 

Must have gone to school with your dad :) Haven't had it yet this year but my screen tends to ice up on the inside 

Mr_530i likes this

I find if I use spray, it causes cars to fog up inside and I have to wait for the windscreen to clear - maybe it's the sudden change in temp as a result of the ice melting causing additional condensation? - or me over using spray which is more likely. Scraping all the way, quick easy and done in a couple of minutes. I also do the headlights and tail lights so I can see and be seen.

535i Andrew likes this

I boil the kettle and pour it over the screen hoping I'll get a day off work and be able to build a snowman.

Luke warm as Mr_530i may be more sensible. I have the same reservations about de-icer on paintwork, and because the frost always catches me out, I'll be scraping the window with a cd case, or hardback book - fingers hurting.

Boil the kettle...

I covered the windscreen so didn't have to do anything but remove the cover.

Now I will just leave it inside.

Scraping for me, gives me a sense of satisfaction and I've always thought de-icer messed up the car. But since my car now lives in the garage I won't have to bother

50 years ago a lorry driver neighbour told me to use hot water when he saw me scraping the screen. I did this all the time I was in the UK  with great success. Now I live in the Algarve I don't need to deal with iced screens. 

535i Andrew and Raymond like this

Thanks for the views lads.

Not sure about the water trick, knowing my luck where I live it would either freeze more or crack something.

6 hours ago, stevecvo said:

Now I live in the Algarve I don't need to deal with iced screens. 

Jammy Bast£&@!

I use a de-icer spray in a can. So much easier and quicker. Plus, I don't have to worry about scratching my windows. I've never had de-icer freeze on me, as I use my wipers to clear any fluid on the screen.

I've always done the warm water trick, apart from when I had a Mondeo with a heated front screen which was literally awesome in the winter. 

535i Andrew likes this

12 hours ago, NWJW said:

I had a Mondeo with a heated front screen which was literally awesome in the winter. 

And that's exactly why the wife wanted to stick with Ford!

Ford patented that screen and want way too much £££ from other manufacturers to let them use it so it's still only a Ford exclusive and yes they are terrific!

I am not sure I like the lines that are visible on front windscreen.  With Fords I mean

Edited by Mr_530i

I've found its only when I've been a passenger and in certain lighting conditions that I've noticed them.

Interesting to see that very few folk use de-icer spray. Hmmmm

^^I'll be honsest, I had a company Transit with a heated front screen and for some reason I kept noticing the little wires in the screen in that, especially on boring motorway journeys, my missus' old Fiesta and the Mondeo not so much, even the '92 mk3 Granada I had years ago had one!

10 hours ago, NWJW said:

, even the '92 mk3 Granada I had years ago had one!

The last decent Ford, that Ford made until they went soft and only made front wheel drive cars. Was it a V6 Cosworth 24v jobbie?

Unfotunately not, it was a 2.0 twin cam, it would still go sideways far too easily though! It was also a surprisingly comfy and refined car, In all honesty, it was near the same quality as the e39's I've had.  As you say, these were the days when Ford still made 'proper' cars.:)