Hairyarse

My third E39! :)

69 posts in this topic

Well if all goes to plan, I'm picking up a silver 530i Sport Auto tomorrow morning - my first petrol E39 :)

(Excuse the dull pics, it was getting dark!)

I'll be the 12 owner! However, it's only got 125k miles on it, very clean indeed, especially inside there's little signs of wear. It's got four new tyres, a lot of new suspension and cooling system components and drives beautifully.

Spec isn't too bad, not as good as my old 530d sadly. Prof sat nav (MK4), heated seats, a Baris upgraded amp with AUX and removable tow bar.

Looking forward to burning some petrol for a change!! 

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_2590.JPG

Congrats, looks a nice clean example.

Theres just something about an E39, I can't imagine not owning one unless my needs changed drastically. 

Hairyarse and Loadmaster like this

Thanks Mo, it does seem to be a good one!

I know what you mean, almost two weeks since I sold my 530d and that's long enough without one! lol

On 10/21/2016 at 2:26 PM, BigMo said:

Theres just something about an E39, I can't imagine not owning one unless my needs changed drastically. 

I'm also on e39 number three, inbetween my e39's I've had a mk3 Mondeo and an e46 touring but they just didn't push my buttons the way an e39 does, and that one above does look a nice one, there's something about a silver sport with black leather, it's actually my favourite combo not that I'm biased or anything what with my first and current e39 having black leather and silver paintwork.;)

BigMo and Hairyarse like this

The silver is growing on me!

Well mission accomplished today - car driven down from Leeds and it drives beautifully! The only thing I could pick at - if it is anything - is the temp gauge is at about 11 O'Clock - my last two E39s (530ds) the needle was always at 12 O'clock. Most of the cooling system was replaced 3 years ago so it should all be ok - it runs very well.

I've already ordered some aero/flat wiper blades for the car and some decent locking wheel nuts. Intravee II may be on the cards as really liked that when I had it before. I was pleasantly surprised that there's an AUX socket lurking in the glove box, so had tunes off my phone the whole way home! :)

I had to take a pick too, when walking back to the car after some shopping day. Any old excuse! :)

IMG_2599.JPG

IMG_2602.JPG

Loadmaster, BigMo and Vlady like this

Ok so I've gone for a drive this morning with water temp up on the high OBC. Temp is flicking between 83-84 degrees.

Done a little digging around, I'm not sure if this is about 10 degrees colder than it should be?

The car runs well, but if temp is not right, it's not right!

Does anyone know for certain the stat temperature and what real world water temp should be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Temperature is fine. Mine hovers around the same mark with new Behr thermostat replaced just two weeks ago. Low 70's - high 60's is when you need to start worrying.  As long it is not below 78 degrees all is well and happy days!

Ah that's good, thanks Ervin

It's amazing what you can find in your newly purchased E39 when you have a nose at all the settings.

3D and updated maps

007c0aa563944a031ca2cc4978724e7f.jpg

Only just spotted this Andy, looks fantastic

I seem to remember our old 530d ran with the temp gauge just shy of 12 o'clock so should be fine.

Hairyarse likes this

Thanks Rich! ;)

I think our 'd' was at 12 O'clock. By chance the owner before last contacted me through Facebook today! He replaced the cooling system and confirmed that after doing so it was as 12 O'clock. Digging around further I'm sure 82-84 degrees is too cool, so for the smallish cost and peace of mind I'm going to change the stat out.

DISA Repair kit now ordered from X8R. I've got no problems with mine that I know off but I think worth doing to future-proof the engine! 

I am on third E39 as well, all V8 and two 540 Tourings plus the Alpina B10, I see no need to go more modern than the E39 - it does everything in comfort and reliability can be recreated with a bit of care and expenditure - I have always rebuilt cooling systems either by need or preventative measures.

Great shape, looks and comfort for not a lot of money.

NWJW, Raymond, Hairyarse and 1 other like this

A few improvements made today.

Intravee 2 fitted - took about 30 seconds!! :) I love these!

Converted to aero wipers, some Good Rain jobs off ebay, which were also quick and easy to fit. 

Finally, fitted some decent locking wheel nuts to protect the paras! :)

My DISA repair kit has arrived from X8R. I've no issues with mine but will fit that next week as a preventative measure. Then I've an engine carbon clean and remap on the cards and that'll be about it other than a bit of polish and detailing ;)

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

IINexusII likes this

looking nice :) do you have a link to the goodrain wipers? i ordered the continental flatblade ones and they started making streaking noises within a few months

Here you go Nexus

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-1995-2004-650-550mm-FLAT-AERO-Wiper-Blades-NOVELTY-HIT-/301948940719?txnId=1311804407020

I did read some Citroen ones were direct fit and only a few quid but didn't want to risk getting the wrong ones.

Thanks Raymond. Yes it really is very clean inside

5 hours ago, Hairyarse said:

B10 would be nice!! :)

Best car I have ever had, and definitely not for sale in the immediate future, the specification that the original buyers chose and paid for is incredible, thank you  ^_^

Hairyarse likes this

On 10/28/2016 at 8:44 AM, urquattro said:

I am on third E39 as well, all V8 and two 540 Tourings plus the Alpina B10, I see no need to go more modern than the E39 - it does everything in comfort and reliability can be recreated with a bit of care and expenditure - I have always rebuilt cooling systems either by need or preventative measures.

Great shape, looks and comfort for not a lot of money.

Couldn't agree more, my three have all been V8's too, a 535i to start with, then the mighty M5 which I still can't believe I sold (:-() and now the 540i which I find a proper sleeper, nobody pays much attention as it's just an old 5 series, it wafts about effortlessly not bothering anyone and then you drop the tiptronic down a gear or two and give it the beans....:shock:

Hairyarse likes this