Joss

Starting to repair the rust

35 posts in this topic

Mine has stone chip on the lower half of the rear quarters which i assumed was as factory, having said that it has had paint from the waist down all around so who knows!. It is a vulnerable area especially with your wide RS's on....

Speaking with Nigel he suggested stone chip under layer up too the bumper then flatted back and painted gloss. The rubberised stone chip underneath would help prevent chips. I do have a set or OEM mud flaps but they don't look that great. I though about trimming them to make them more like spatz though.

13 hours ago, Joss said:

Speaking with Nigel he suggested stone chip under layer up too the bumper then flatted back and painted gloss. The rubberised stone chip underneath would help prevent chips. I do have a set or OEM mud flaps but they don't look that great. I though about trimming them to make them more like spatz though.

Hi Joss, stone chip under the bumper is correct on the lower quarters, you can get various grades of finish as well. It's really starting to take shape, because it is not seen and protects better I used brush finish black smoothrite on the boot floor and wheel well.

I can fully understand that you feel you have spent enough on the work that you have had done, however, you have come this far would it not be better to tackle the floor pans and sills to get the job done whilst it is off the road?

Show season? stop avoiding the question.:P

Yes mate I may be available for show season although I may still get the front scuttle sorted first

Hi Joss,

Really enjoying this thread - looking forward to seeing the finished article!

Quick question - who are you using for the paint work? I'm local to you and am looking for a good quality / reliable shop to do some cosmetics on the e39.

Hi Hippy.

Same guy. They have a spray booth. Trickett welding. 

Edited by Joss

On 3/13/2017 at 6:39 PM, Joss said:

Hi Hippy.

Same guy. They have a spray booth. Trickett welding. 

Thanks for the info.

Have you used them before / seen the quality of their work?

Yes mate. He repaired the front footwells of the 5 a year or so ago plus I have a friend who owns an Alfa garage and he uses him for lots of his work. I had a look at several of the jobs he's currently doing including a spitfire and an old dino and he doesn't mess about. If you want it done right then he's a great choice IMO. Very pleased with his work generally and they are happy for you to come down, look, take photos as you can see to make sure you are happy with the work being carried out. 

http://www.trickettweldingltd.co.uk

Perfect - thanks again. Will pay them a visit!

No Problem. I spoke to Nigel and mentioned that he's had interest so I'm sure he'll be please to make the connection between the three of us.