Joss

Starting to repair the rust

35 posts in this topic

So I started to repair some of the rust on the 5 today. As suspected the rear lower quarters are well past there best so I've ordered 2 repair panels. I also sorted the o/s rear sill and have now got that in primer so some progress today. There was a lot of filler on that rear quarter. Will post more pics as we go. Starting low as I have the rear scuttle to attack as well and want to be fully up to scratch. 

IMG_1199.JPG

IMG_1202.JPG

IMG_1203.JPG

IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

Edited by Joss

Good luck with the rustoration, unfortunately it will likely be a case of where will this stop? I was down your way on Friday, heading for Fritz to have the S/S manifold and system fitted to the e12.

Yeah I know. One step at a time mate. She'all get there.  How is the manifold? 

Edited by Joss

Manifold is great, the whole system is good. I had to go down to Fritz to get it fitted as they thought they had issues with the accuracy of the jig for manufacture, and sure enough the rear exit pipes were not central with the cut out in the rear valence, all sorted now though.

The manifold is far superior to that of the e28 version, no long primary required, so the sound is more in tune with a straight six rather than a V8, the noise is much more bearable than the e28 as well, a nice raspy note rather than bordering on annoying.

Some advice if you are thinking about it:

• Remember to tell them you have an aircon pump fitted, there was rather a long silence, followed by a sharp intake of breath when they saw it! The front manifold just cleared it.
  • Fit new engine mounts, the old ones had sagged and the tolerances are so tight the steering shaft into the box was just clipping it.

You will need to undo the o/s engine mount in any case to get the rear manifold in.

As you know the system and manifold is not cheap, but I had a crack in the manifold and the rear box was shot with a modified centre box from an e28 as well. Time will tell regarding the performance, suffice to say it feels more lively and best of all I feel that this old e12 that had been off the road for 17 years is finally proving reliable, 581 miles in 24 hours.:wub: 

Ordnator likes this

Nice. Top tip about the engine mount. I fitted firmer m5 ones to mine and a spacer to stop a bind with the steering. Even then on track days under certain conditions it would momentarily catch.

Suspect rotating the uj 45degrees would help so that the shaft had more clearance at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys. You may have just solved the problem I've been having for ages. When I give it some beans and try and steer I often get a weird feedback and vibration through the wheel like its getting stuck. Had the pump rebuilt and the box has no play.

Well the 5 is in the body shop. Dropped off on Saturday. Going back Friday to get her on the ramp and discuss what needs to be done and also talk about a custom exhaust :)

Well it will be SS. I want a new back box and a new centre section. The centre section on mine has no silencer already so and it sounds nice so I want to keep the same set up. Going to look tonight.

So a lot of rust in the rear end but as you can see we're finally getting somewhere. Rear end is going to look perfect. May end up doing some of the front too if the budget allows. A big shout out to Nigel at Trickett welding for the progress photos. Nigel has sorted out several issues in the floor to get it through it's MOT a couple of years ago and welded in the diff brace I bought from America and this has been on the cards now ever since. Nigel will also be painting the rear end and getting it looking perfect for the show season. Can't wait. 

IMG_4014.JPG

IMG_4022.JPG

IMG_4013.JPG

IMG_3960.JPG

IMG_3942.JPG

IMG_3943.JPG

IMG_3944.JPG

IMG_3946.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

IMG_3950.JPG

IMG_3951.JPG

IMG_3952.JPG

IMG_3953.JPG

IMG_3954.JPG

IMG_3955.JPG

IMG_3956.JPG

IMG_4178.JPG

IMG_3958.JPG

IMG_4173.JPG

IMG_4174.JPG

IMG_4176.JPG

IMG_4179.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

IMG_4182.JPG

IMG_4175.JPG

IMG_4177.JPG

IMG_4183.JPG

IMG_3991.JPG

IMG_3992.JPG

IMG_3994.JPG

IMG_3996.JPG

IMG_3997.JPG

IMG_3998.JPG

Edited by Joss
Carl-e34 likes this

More doom and gloom at the rear end. One of the rear axle mount is shot so I'll need to repair that. Images to follow tomorrow

Well Joss, from what I can see this is easily as bad as mine, although most of mine was in the floor pans and boot floor. Really glad to see that it is moving along quite quickly, the standard of fabrication and welding looks spot on. Keep the updates coming. we might even get them both to a show, at least yours has not stood for 17 years.:D

I know the floor isn't great mate but where do I stop. The front is also in pretty bad shape but will soldier on for a couple more years yet. I have a bad A post and the front scuttle is knackered too. I've said to Nigel that if we are on budget then I will stretch to get these two bits sorted as they are the next critical part but that will be as far as I can go.

Good work mate, it's great to see these cars getting the attention they deserve. It's bloody expensive though isn't it. I haven't restored a car in years but just buying small items for mine over the last couple of months has highlighted how a proper restoration can really run away with itself. 

Agreed mate. This 5 has been waiting for this for too long. Got some pictures of the rear mount and the lower arch.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

IMG_4259.JPG

IMG_4262.JPG

Carl-e34 likes this

Looking good that.... another one saved :D

Shame i havn't got another crusty 520 sitting on the drive to chop up....worked for Jamie!

Haha. Well I haven't dared look at the floorpan and sills. That will be for another time. Still got my GTA project as well. 

More pictures of just how bad it is. 

IMG_4271.JPG

IMG_4301.JPG

IMG_4302.JPG

IMG_4303.JPG

IMG_4304.JPG

IMG_4305.JPG

IMG_4306.JPG

IMG_4308.JPG

IMG_4309.JPG

IMG_4341.JPG

IMG_4342.JPG

IMG_4343.JPG

IMG_4344.JPG

IMG_4345.JPG

IMG_4348.JPG

IMG_4350.JPG

There is a definite pattern there, they all seem to go in the same places, still aiming for this show season? :rolleyes:

I love projects like this and the dedication to keeping old cars alive.

Yet at the same time I am reminded that the only saving grace in breaking my e28, was in doing so I revealed some areas that I was less happy with and would have needed attention in due course. I don't have the welding skills so dodged a bullet.

Keep up the good work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers guys. I'm dressing the floor pan next time!!!. It's starting to get shaped up today. Progress is looking good. Finally I have defined rear arches again rather than the mess or the previous work. So excited. Hopefully this will stop the creaking from the rear end too. 

Jam. Did you opt for stone chip below the bumper line and in the boot or smooth finish? Can't decide at the moment. 

IMG_1653.JPG

IMG_1654.JPG