I've been on the lookout for 535d but based on my mileage have started to consider a big petrol instead. Has anybody any experience of the 550i? They're not very common so not a lot to be found when searching. I'm coming from an M5 so appreciate running costs usually aren't cheap. 

Looking for for anything to look out for, Real life mpg figures, etc

thanks

I've had mine a few months now, E61 with 140k on the clock. Brim to brim tank average is 24mpg with a mix of urban and motorway. The SE ride is sublime and it has plenty of power. I couldn't deal with the V10 and firm ride of the M5.

It will be exclusive there is no arguing there!

If you can live with the thirst then go for it, nothing puts a smile on your face like hearing all 8 open up when you are horsing past a Sunday driver.

Experiences from a 545i SE point of view.....it's the same block just with a different acoustic cover.

Get the engine checked over for oil leaks, they like to leak oil from rocker covers, vanos unit seals, upper timing chain cover to block/head and the dreaded alternator bracket.  Also watch out for the egr system clogging up on these engines. Valve stem oil seals can give emissions problems too.

Most parts on the V8 E60s is the same as everything else so when the time comes to replace the suspension arms they are all the same.  Brakes are the same as the 535d upwards and need to be two piece to keep weight down.

I had mine for 8 years till the autobox went with the dreaded E clutch failure at just over 91,000 miles despite being serviced twice.

I bought it knowing it liked a drink and got anywhere between 22 - 36 mpg depending on run. High as 39 mpg on a 50 mph cruise and as low as 21mpg towing.

Great car still miss the bellow of the V8!

Don't get me wrong, latterly my E60 was only doing 12 miles a day to and from a train station so the mpg dropped to 23-24 mpg. Still it made a nice noise doing the 6 miles each way!

A long run to clear out the cylinders would produce high 20s into low 30s.

On paper it was no worse than an E39 530i (which I was after instead but when I couldn't find one I went for the first E60) and I really didn't notice the difference too much from my E39.

Going from the E60 to the F10 however on the same run to the station I'm getting high 20s mpg.

But you don't buy a car like that and worry about fuel consumption!

I have had my 550 msport for a few months now and absolutely love it.

It is a weekend toy so not too bothered about mpg but had 28 mpg on a return trip to Stansted which I thought was very good.

The car really has a presence about it and as for the sound.......wow. I love flicking the auto in sports mode and then floor it. Boy does it go.

Some people say that the msport suspension is harsh but I think it is very good. For a big car it handles really well. 

Had my 550i msport a year now, it's more a weekend car as when I use it for 4 mile each to work trips it gets about 14mpg. Average 25/26 though, easily getting low 30's if more sedate runs but with the thrust it provides forwards and the wonderful noise it's usually closer to 25, it was never bought for economy so I don't really care.  

19" alpinas and non runflats I don't think it's overly hard ride at all. Hard to find a speed where you can unsettle it either, great presence on road and always makes me grin

f*** the road tax, it's worth it! Mine just at £290 or what ever it is a year, second car is zero road tax to maybe that's easier swallowed

saw mine on auto trader Wednesday, was driving it back home 350 mile on the Friday lunchtime. Just had to be done , I've not regretted buying it at all