Danny WM

Clunking on take off?

So, I'm looking for some more advice. I can hear and almost feel a clunking from what feels like the rear of the car. I have suspicions it's related to the drop links/anti roll bar. Or maybe related to the drive shaft.

It's on a ramp tomorrow for a health check hopefully get to the bottom of it.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I had this problem a couple year back.

Try sitting in the car, engine running and door open. Foot on brake n put it into gear then lift you foot off the brake gently so it starts to creep. If it clunks as the "slack" in the drive takes bite and then same again when you stick it in reverse or from neutral back to drive then it could most probably be the propshaft.

With the door open you'll easily be able to hear it coming from under the car. The uni joint will be duff and the clunk you hear is the metal of one half connecting with the other as it tries to rotate.

The bad news is that the part isn't replaceable n has to be a whole new prop at £900ish plus labour.

It's doesn't make a noise if I put in gear and allow car to move itself without any acceleration. It's when I accelerate, when the car sits back with the force of moving forward, then it clunk's.

1 hour ago, Danny WM said:

It's doesn't make a noise if I put in gear and allow car to move itself without any acceleration. It's when I accelerate, when the car sits back with the force of moving forward, then it clunk's.

I have exactly the same issue on my 530d! I replaced the propshaft centre bearing but that didn't fix the problem. I'm wondering could it be the engine mounts!?

I have exactly the same issue on my 530d! I replaced the propshaft centre bearing but that didn't fix the problem. I'm wondering could it be the engine mounts!?

That's where I thought my problem may lie, the prop centre bearing, but when hearing it and nearly feeling it I'm edging towards stability bars as it's the weight of the car that forces the clunk.

16 minutes ago, Wabby said:

Could be a FUBAR doughnut. 

My thoughts too if not suspension related rather than centre propshaft bearing or universal joint.

Lever all suspension ball joints in the rear end to see if any move.

When my front lower arm balljoints failed I got a clonk from the front end.

On my E39 a clunk from the rear was traced to worn anti roll bar links.

Thanks Danny best of luck tracking down the issue - if you do then I can probably fix mine too :)

Just thinking about this... if our issue is the same... as strange as this may sound I can literally make whatever is causing the clunk to rock forward and back on take off by apply the accelerator a small bit and then backing off and then apply acceleration again and backing off... the clunk will literally rock back and forward doing this motion... I know this sounds ridiculous and it is difficult to explain without the person actually experiencing it for themselves.

Edited by CTRob

7 hours ago, CTRob said:

Thanks Danny best of luck tracking down the issue - if you do then I can probably fix mine too :)

Just thinking about this... if our issue is the same... as strange as this may sound I can literally make whatever is causing the clunk to rock forward and back on take off by apply the accelerator a small bit and then backing off and then apply acceleration again and backing off... the clunk will literally rock back and forward doing this motion... I know this sounds ridiculous and it is difficult to explain without the person actually experiencing it for themselves.

I'm getting this exact same issue. It started when I left my car with the garage I bought it from for a heat shield removal and hoping they didn't damage something in vengeance. (We didn't get on the best)

14 hours ago, adamenty said:

I'm getting this exact same issue. It started when I left my car with the garage I bought it from for a heat shield removal and hoping they didn't damage something in vengeance. (We didn't get on the best)

Hopefully we can figure this out between us guys I would love to have this fixed :)

So, I had it up on lifts and found that the pin bar on the bottom of the struts which connect to the lower axle arms have 2 bushes either end of the pins and all 4 were worn. Not sure what they're text book name is to order the bushes but when I do I'll let you know.

If you are in there messing about with bits getting replaced, I would urge you to also replace part #2 in that link.  It is more likely to be the source of the noise and movement at the back end.  OEM Lemforder part is £32.49 from Euro car parts before you find a discount code.

On 10/25/2016 at 2:36 PM, Danny WM said:

Well in my case it's both integril links on the rear axles. I've got a quote for OEM spec parts £27.50 each from a friend with a company discount.

Interesting to hear how the repair goes Danny :)

On 10/26/2016 at 8:34 AM, 535iAR said:

If you are in there messing about with bits getting replaced, I would urge you to also replace part #2 in that link.  It is more likely to be the source of the noise and movement at the back end.  OEM Lemforder part is £32.49 from Euro car parts before you find a discount code.

Agreed to do both together.

Garage changed part #2 for me, and noise persisted so changed part #4 and perfect.

Mine sounded like some fatties were shagging in my boot constantly though ... not knocking on setoff.

The fact that you are half way there when changing part 4 you are as well as changing part 2 as they are connected by the same bolt.

Just to save any pain later on is the only reason I suggested it.  I suspected that part 2 was on its way out on my E60, due to a slightly squidgy feel at the back end as nothing else was amiss. Quite common failure I believe in the E39.