Tony Morgan

E60/61 dipped beam poor ??

I had a brief foray into this on my E39 before I retrofitted the factory self-levelling kit. Anything not too cheap with H7 xenon bulbs and the appropriate ballast worked fine although I did get through a couple of ballasts before going OEM and legit.

Because they're H7, they should plug and play.

I don't know this kit and have nothing to do with the seller, but having bought a couple of kits, if I was in the market I'd probably just buy this one and hope for the best. And be confident enough it would be fine:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H7-HID-Canbus-Error-Free-Kit-Xenon-5000k-Fits-BMW-5-Series-535d-/332149409021?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW|Plat_Gen%3AE60&hash=item4d55a5c4fd:g:fJMAAOSwsW9YwY4R

It is 5000K though, so bluer than OEM

8 hours ago, DannyN said:

I've a 2005 E61 535d, by am I right in thinking I've got projector headlights (see below photo)?

Do you have any links to what I would need in order to get these working well on dipped beam?

Thanks guys

15072094481141259313475.jpg

You already have factory oem xenon / hid headlights with projectors. The lights output should be excellent as it is. That's assuming everything within the headlamps is working as it should. 

Hi guys im new. I apologise before hand but this is the closest topic i could find related to my issue. I have a e60 530d lci with projectors with h7 bulbs (not bi-xenon headlights). I wasn't hapoy with the light output so i replaced the bulbs with 5000k hid kit. Priblem now is they are bright but the beam is too low even after manually adjusting them at the headlights. Also passenger side 1 doesn't seem to want to raise to the same level as the driver driver side. They self adjust when i start the car. Just way too low even compared to my previous e90. Appreciate any help.

Edited by Sid_786
Spelling

Are the bulbs fully and correctly seated? Some H7 mounts make it very easy to get the bulb in upside down or not quite seated. Which makes for some interesting beam patterns.

Also might be worth checking they're not H7R bulbs.

Edited by Mojo Jojo

Hi 

Loosen the headlamp mounting bolts(4 in all) give it a giggle then push out at the bottom and in at the top of the headlamp while you tighten back up, this will raise the beam higher, you will then find that's too high and you can wind in the adjusters to lower the beam.

I've never understood why standard BMW headlights are so p**s poor, that a candle would give better night time illumination, unless it's all a marketing ploy to make you specify Xenon....

My E39 Prefacelift was awful until I fitted the angeleyes projectors then added the Xenons.  My E61 was specified with the Pre-LCI Xenon and is fine, but I'd like to see the difference between these and the LCI Bi Xenon design

41 minutes ago, Dotcom1970 said:

I've never understood why standard BMW headlights are so p**s poor, that a candle would give better night time illumination, unless it's all a marketing ploy to make you specify Xenon....

You might have hit the nail on the head, the Halogens on my Audi A4 were so bad they were dangerous. Even with fresh 150% bulbs they were complete crap.

15 hours ago, Mojo Jojo said:

Are the bulbs fully and correctly seated? Some H7 mounts make it very easy to get the bulb in upside down or not quite seated. Which makes for some interesting beam patterns.

Also might be worth checking they're not H7R bulbs.

Yes mate. Made sure they weren't h7r. Has to buy h7 holder for hid bulbs. They seemed to fit fine as far as i could tell they seemed to be sitting flush in the bulb holder.

Edited by Sid_786

1 hour ago, Sid_786 said:

Yes mate. Made sure they weren't h7r. Has to buy h7 holder for hid bulbs. They seemed to fit fine as far as i could tell they seemed to be sitting flush in the bulb holder.

Nice, sorry it didn't help, I guess at least you've ruled it out.

I'm out of ideas, Misterbish might be on to something with the actual alignment of the whole lamp unit.

Ok so i had a little fiddle about. Seems like the left headlight internal is broken (wobbles up and down when touched) managed to somehow jam it in the highest position still self adjust at start up. Have a feeling might drop again after a pothole or two.

But i have an all new problem now again i apologise. Had the lights on while i played around. Car started fine when all of a sudden it stopped starting. All internal lights, idrive and dash lights come on. Goes into ignition but then brake pedal stays stiff when turning on. No click no nothing just a faint flash of the dipped beams. Tried jump starting no luck. Check relevant fuses seem ok.

Dont know what to do. One problem fixed another is born