Tony Morgan

E60/61 dipped beam poor ??

Dipped beam appears to be very poor. I have fitted some Mtec MT-440 super white bulbs. There 55watt but the info says they are exuivelent to 100 watt. There supposed to be 4350 

lummens.

There good bulbs the light is white and good. But there very little depth to the field of the light. It does not project far enough. I need the light to be further down the road. The depth of light is approximately the same as stock bulbs.

Any ideas or what you have done, or photos of your dipped beam field of view.  Or links  to a solution ? Not sure hids would be any better in gettin light further down the road, and the don't meet mot requirements.  It's a shame as it spoil the car.

thanks

Those bulbs just look like halogens with a blue tint on the bulb which gives it "white" light output. I doubt they will be 4350 lm as HIDs (d2s bulbs) are about 3200 lm, and normal H7 55w halogens are about 1450 lm. More than likely you have mistaken 4350 lm for 4350k. 4350k is just the colour....not the brightness (lumens). OEM HIDs are 4300k. To sum up, the bulbs you have are the same colour as HIDs, but perform like a halogen bulb...perhaps slightly worse because of the blue tint on the bulb.

Fitting HIDs isn't an automatic MOT failure as long as the beam pattern is fine and doesn't blind oncoming traffic. This is hard to get right and sometimes impossible if you have reflector housing unless they were designed to from the factory. d2r is the HID bulb for reflector headlamp housing. I think the LCI e60 came with projector halogens, so you could buy a set of those and fit HIDs.

Your choices:

1) Fit Osram Nightbreakers or similar good quality halogen bulbs.

2) Fit d2r HID bulbs and see if the beam is fine.

3) Buy LCI halogen headlamps and fit a d2s HID kit.

Side note: Make sure your lights are aimed properly (position 0) or that your headlamp adjusters is not broken.

Although I have an e39, I fitted OEM ballast and d2s bulbs in my halogen headlamp. Luckily e39s, and most BMWs of the late 80s and 90s had projector halogens. You can see the beam in my signature below.

My pre LCI has the standard halogens, and yes dipped beam is awful, I dread driving at night in less well lit areas. All the fancy expensive bulbs in the world don't help it very much.

OP - if you have prelci halogens reflector headlamps then you need a H7R hid/xenon kit. If you have lci halogen projector headlamps then you need a H7 hid/xenon kit. You won't regret it as you'll find the difference in light output compared to your current candles will be absolutely astonishing and you will wonder - why did I wait to do this !! 

DO IT :).

Thanks for the replys.

derek Jr. Yes your right the Mtec's there 4350k. I tried some Osama night breakers but they were about the same as the Mtec's. Good light but no depth. I have check the headlight position. Next is to check the beam alignment. Just need a flat surface and a wall some were with 25 feet space.

My car is a 2007 E61 msport. I think this is a pre LCI it has the single day light/

Halo ring bulb. Guess it's an HID kit then H7R hid as listed by andy-e60.

Edited by Tony Morgan
Miss spell

4 hours ago, Tony Morgan said:

Thanks for the replys.

I tried some Osama night breakers

Watch out, the US special forces will be after you :lol:

Here's a picture of my headlight. Freshly refurbed today with wet and dry paper with fairy liquid in the water and Megiars plastic polish with poilishing pads in my drill. Fastastic polish superb for freshening up those headlights. Thanks for your help folks.

Dotcom1970 hoho well spotted. To used to auto correcting phones !!

IMG_0661.JPG

That is a projector headlamp unit, and the E60 LCI was in 2007 which yours is a 2007 model. All e60s had halogen angel eyes. You might actually have an LCI e60/e61. I don't see why they should be terrible at night. Might be worth fitting a HID kit. Do you mind taking a pic of your beam at night? :)

Also, yes if they were hazy/cloudy. This will affect the light output and beam. 

You lucky man ! ...you've already got the lci projector headlights B). Drop in a hid kit and that's the best thing you'll ever do for those headlights. You'll be trulysurprised at the massive improvement ...I was...

Install guide on this forum...

Edit: ...and make sure you avoid the common mistake of installing the HID bulb upside down !! Watch out for that by following this...

Edited by andy-e60
Added direct link to show how to ensure bulb doesn't end up upside down !!

Well, the canbus ballasts are often found to be less reliable as more crap is squeezed into the box. Those non-canbus ballasts are quality as many have found out so far. Less things to go wrong. Up to you, I would have the non canbus ballasts with separate canbus. The Canbus can be coded out anyway for those not wanting the canbus error cancellers. 

I have 5000k instead of 6000k. The threads linked about explain why I prefer 5000k. Some prefer 6000k....again up to you. 

Ok many thanks for the info. I did not realise this, about the canbus. It works out slightly cheaper to !!

I ll get them ordered when i have decided on the Colour K.

It seems there is Rocket sience and BMW headlight bulbs !!

A video I found on youtube showing the difference

Edited by Tony Morgan
miss spell

4300k vs 5000k vs 6000k ?

5000k for me.

Contrary to popular belief, 4300k is OEM for BMW and many other makes but it's NOT oem for ALL makes.

Before mercedes started using LED headlights - their hid/xenon was 5000k as OEM in their 35w (never 55w) from factory hid/xenons.

4300k is way too yellow and a bit halogen like for me.

http://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/487690-xenon-comparison-5000k-hid-kit-vs-bmw-oem.html

5000k is OEM for some as confirmed here:

http://www.emercedesbenz.com/autos/mercedes-benz/corporate-news/a-look-at-mercedes-benz-e-class-and-s-class-headlight-technology/

Edited by andy-e60

4300k vs 5000k vs 6000k

4300k: Brightest, however also more yellow compared to the other two but not as yellow has standard halogens

5000k: Middle brightness of the 3, more white than 4300k but with a tiny hint of blue. Not as blue as 6000k.

6000k: Least brightest of the 3, more blue compared to the others too. 

The whitest bulb is approximately 4500k according to a lot of people. 

I had 6000k on mine before and hated it. Everything reflected blue, and can be quite difficult to see in the rain. After a while, it hurts your eyes (think of a Mk4 Golf/Jetta/Bora instrument cluster) Also note that cheap bulbs won't be as good as the expensive ones. 

Also don't forget the colour temperature (K) of a HID bulb increases very gradually as they become older. That means they become more blue with age. So a 6000k bulb will probably be around 6200k after a few years.

If not having the 4300k, then 5000k bulbs are the best option by far. I know many people who originally went with 6000k and regretted it later when they eventually discovered the 5000k. 

On 26/09/2016 at 0:22 AM, Tony Morgan said:

HHmmmmm thinking 5000K would be best.

Hi Tony - did you fit these in the end?

I'm in the same situation, dipped beam is woeful, and keen to get something done about it. Do you have any before and after photos?

I had the same issue when i first brought my car, the worst dip beams i have ever experienced, mine were pre-lci halogen(reflector type). Took the plunge and brought Lci projector headlamps and fitted a hid kit, never looked back.

Also passed its MOT last week, no issues with aftermarket hid's and beam pattern

I've a 2005 E61 535d, by am I right in thinking I've got projector headlights (see below photo)?

Do you have any links to what I would need in order to get these working well on dipped beam?

Thanks guys

15072094481141259313475.jpg

Is there any HID kit which is recommended, and any links? So many different versions, I just want to make sure I'm getting the right one.

And do I need bulb holder converters and canbus error cancellors? 

Thanks for all your help guys!