ER

E60 525i N53 Cold Start Rough Idle - Fault Codes

Yes. Not driving E39. Will do overhaul including WP, sensors, hoses etc. E60 is running steady temperature wise so wil leave tstat till next month. 

Another question. E39 has two coolant sensors. What about E60? Could it be the sensor that triggers thermostat fault? 

Quick look on RealOEM using my E61 data brings back only one sensor for oil/coolant - 

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=PU72-EUR-11-2007-E61N-BMW-525i&diagId=11_3967#13621433076

Always possible that's FUBAR and not an expensive part to replace.

You've reminded me how troublesome the N53 can be when it starts to go wrong, touch wood mines been fine since 4 year ownership.  Mines had all the latest update injectors coils and even HPFP replaced before I bought it in 2012 from previous owner.  If you get it sorted please let us know what it is for our future reference

Leew88 - will replace tstat next payday so update to follow. ;)

Shahz - sorry to hear that. At least you can eliminate coils and hopefully repairs I've done wil be of some assistance. 

Everyone here has been supportive and insightful... and thank you for that gents once again! 

Dropped my car off last night, got a call this morning, turns out the rocker cover is cracked, hence it runs rough when cold as it's letting air in, once it warms up the crack closes up!

Yes, agree with Mike, unexpected. Well, at least it will be cheaper to replace than injectors.  Think you can get one for £250-£300 mate. 

Shahz that's interesting to know and another one add to check list, to check the valve cover too when faced with random misfire.

what's the cost of supply and fit a new valve cover?

Jay

Edited by j525i
name corrected

Yeap the CCV is part of the RC so got changed too!

garage carried out a smoke test and said it was pouring out!

Have tried putting up an pic from Photobucket but it's not working, will try later on the computer 

Edited by SHAHZ

Started it up on Thursday, same ol symptoms :( I guess the cracked cover would have needed to have been done sooner or later anyway!

next step is injectors I reckon, garage was telling me of a place that can recondition them, will look into it!

3 hours ago, SHAHZ said:

Started it up on Thursday, same ol symptoms :( I guess the cracked cover would have needed to have been done sooner or later anyway!

next step is injectors I reckon, garage was telling me of a place that can recondition them, will look into it!

Take the plugs out after its been stood overnight and check their condition is what I'd do. any that stand out as extra sooty or wet with petrol there's your failed injector

On these you often need to replace all 6 in one go

When did it last have new plugs or coils? 

Garage said none of the plugs were overly sooty, they were changed in may last year and all 6 coils last December!

will check out the plugs to see if they are wet!

Edited by SHAHZ