ER

E60 525i N53 Cold Start Rough Idle - Fault Codes

59 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Nice to hear! Glad it's sorted (knock on wood). Stat should improve economy I would think.

Comisserations on your having to get up at 05:30.

I get up at 0430... I just went out at 0530 :angry:

9 hours ago, Ervin said:

Mr_530i - clear all codes before and after adaptations reset. 

Many thanks Ervin. 

Glad the re-torquing your plugs fixed your issue handy Andy 

Edited by Mr_530i

OK, so back on track with Ervin's problems, my suggestion would be to start by going for a drive until everything is up to temperature then checking what value the hidden display gives for coolant. Below 70... replace thermostat... about a 1 hour job and under 100 for parts and coolant.

Once the temperature is known to be  coming into the correct range, I suspect the general running will improve, allowing better diagnosis of any remaining niggles.

All new plugs and coils were replaced on Saturday and torqued to spec Andy.  Running out of ideas here but then again there is always the appointment with the garage in a few days time. Don't really like people touching my cars but sometimes needs must. 

its pointing more towards the  map thermostat that's the problem

If I recall correctly the map thermostat sends temp info to computer for optimum fuel efficiency and if there is no data from the map stat (as in the case of open circuit) the car runs like a pig as in the words of indi I used

changing the stat on a N53 is a pig and coolant refill is no easy task but if you can do it then that will save you a fortune

good luck

39 minutes ago, Ervin said:

All new plugs and coils were replaced on Saturday and torqued to spec Andy.  Running out of ideas here but then again there is always the appointment with the garage in a few days time. Don't really like people touching my cars but sometimes needs must. 

Same here. My car is just over 4 years old and I'm thinking of ditching FBMWSH for self servicing. Less hassle and cheaper. Not sure of the knock on loss in value. 

Anyway back to yours what is the problem with it, thought the new injectors etc had fixed the misfire ?

I was changing my spark plugs at the father in laws garage and I remember him stating that I should re-install in the coils in same angle I took them out. 

I know to avoid mixing coils just because a certain coil has naturally settled with a particular cylinder. 

But does the angle of the coil really matter? 

Could it cause poor spark and result in poor performance? 

When I have done this on other BMWs I have always simply put the coils in straight (pic with green arrows) but on this car I put them back in at an angle (pic with red arrows)

I hope my question make senses. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Mr_530i

Thanks Jay. 

Mike, in my experience you won't gain much on value by looking after the car yourself.  People who look at a "stamp" rather than actual service history, receipts, the owner,  its health and condition do not know much about cars other than "the colour looks nice".  Over the years I've had a few BMW's such as E83, E82 and E39 535i all of which I have sold successfully for a very competitive price privately, or for more than I paid for to begin with.  Having said that, I have no idea of the BM service package costs and whether you get value for money.  For me, looking after and fixing a car if/when something goes wrong, is more rewarding than the actual monetary cost. I love cars and treat them as beings rather than lumps of metal; or something that gets me from A to B. ;) 

Mr_530i - don't believe that matters but happy to be challenged on that. 

Back to to my frustration- new injector, plugs and coils improved the running, stopped MIL coming on and fault codes being registered. But it's not perfect yet and I can feel something is not right. So, as per commentary from you fine gents within this forum, there could be a few possible glitches that need to be flushed out..weather its tstat, more injectors or whatever else it is that needs mending ;)

59 minutes ago, Ervin said:

Thanks Jay. 

Mike, in my experience you won't gain much on value by looking after the car yourself.  People who look at a "stamp" rather than actual service history, receipts, the owner,  its health and condition do not know much about cars other than "the colour looks nice".  Over the years I've had a few BMW's such as E83, E82 and E39 535i all of which I have sold successfully for a very competitive price privately, or for more than I paid for to begin with.  Having said that, I have no idea of the BM service package costs and whether you get value for money.  For me, looking after and fixing a car if/when something goes wrong, is more rewarding than the actual monetary cost. I love cars and treat them as beings rather than lumps of metal; or something that gets me from A to B. ;) 

Mr_530i - don't believe that matters but happy to be challenged on that. 

Back to to my frustration- new injector, plugs and coils improved the running, stopped MIL coming on and fault codes being registered. But it's not perfect yet and I can feel something is not right. So, as per commentary from you fine gents within this forum, there could be a few possible glitches that need to be flushed out..weather its tstat, more injectors or whatever else it is that needs mending ;)

Do you mean *lose* much on value ?  Agree anyway. I love cars too. For all the faults, polishing, bringing back to working order, maintaining, and to some degree recycling.  Hence I prefer older cars. But if I keep this f10 long enough it'll be old one day lol.

As for running.. what exactly are you feeling with the engine ?  Slight wobble at idle? Can you hold it at 1100 rpm?

Coil angle makes no difference. 40k volts is not going to mind which way round the plastic is facing.

Yes, "lose much", if at all!  Managed to sell some for a profit after a few years of ownership.  When I say "profit" - I refer to the original purchase price only.  Maintenance/service/improvement costs are what they are. Obviously a lot of these things depend on market conditions and various other aspects but proof is in the pudding. 

Yes the car struggles when cold, doesn't shake nearly as much anymore and idle stability is better. I keep rev's at or just above 1k RPM, if say I stop by a traffic light. MIL doesn't light up but it feels as though it is still misfiring. Kind of moved from an intensive care unit to a general admission hospital.  The garage called earlier and asked for the car to be dropped off tomorrow so that they could hook it up to a heart monitor ready to be tested first thing Friday AM. 

Andy - apart from cleaning I don't think injectors are serviceable, but I could be wrong.  Thanks for the thought though. 

Could it be fuel related? Have you tried a super fuel with higher octane rating just to eliminate that (suspecting condensation or something is forming somewhere in the system - could perhaps be a loose fuel cap?)

Also what about fuel level? Does it happen regardless of if the tank is full or low? (suspecting fuel pump)

sanjx - not sure what you mean by super fuel. I only use high octane fuel because it's a win win in terms of mileage, health of the engine and spend vs mileage gain ratio. It's an option for N53 but must for S62 so I feed them both the same. Do you mean racing fuel? 

Issues are the same regardless of fuel quantity. Anyway, I should know what went wrong tomorrow, fingers crossed I wont need to replace 5 more injectors! 

Give "normal" fuel a go, full tank of tesco's finest 95ron. Nothing to lose?

Wouldnt put much less than 3/4 tank as your car needs a few miles to adjust to the change in fuel quality and for the knock sensor etc.. to adjust. 

If not anything, maybe the 95ron will exaggerate the problem enough for it to be pinpointed?

Morning gents, got the car back,  thought I would give you an update now that I had a chance to do some cold starts. 

Two more injectors replaced; in other words bank 1 has a new set now.  The garage ordered them, put them in and said it cured the problem. No other way of "making sure". A bit frustrating given that I wanted diagnosis only but instead ended up with a £625 bill. They offered to take them back out but obviously labour costs still needed to be met.   Fine I thought, end of.  Now, the tstat fault code still remains whilst the engine seems to run at normal operating temperature.  So not end of really. 

Cold start - 100% cured? No. Huge improvement again but I can still feel a very slight shake as the RPMs start to drop from 1k downwards on warm up.   No more hesitation though and idle is solid still. So 95% cured then after £1k and hours of messing about.  Perhaps changing bank 2 injectors will give me that 5% but I'm not sure that It's worth it at this moment.  Or, I will look into the service kit that Andy shared (thank you!). 

The tstat fault code still needs to be addressed. Worth changing it? 

To add to the car issue list, I am guessing I have also developed a Tstat/WP problem with S62.  Temp gauge went passed the red mark, pulled over on a motorway, on a grassed curb side, shut down engine.  Good job it was an early Saturday morning. Looked under the bonnet - seemed normal.  Started the beast back up, temperature at quarter mark. What?? Turned around and limped back home, the dial hovered below the quarter mark.  It's looking like a insanely costly couple of weeks... Frustrating to say the least..

Oh, and by the way, filled the E60 up with Morrisons "best" regular unleaded ;) See what that superfood does.