nealpina

Post Brexit Result

If I am reading this correctly, Mavis intends for the UK to keep paying the EU for membership for at least two years after we are supposed to have left. So we have four years of  'as you were'. That will bring us within shouting distance of the next general election. Maybe her plan is to lose it so she doesn't have to deal with it?

She came close last time.

Whether you are pro or anti Brexit, I don't imagine anyone is particularly happy about this approach

I'm not happy with this approach but did anyone, irrespective of their stance on exiting, believe it was going to be like throwing a switch? Anything short of that is a transition even if it only takes a week or two which was never going to happen.

We had two Aussie visitors staying last week. They said that getting out was the best for Britain, but most of all it was best for Australia. Their perception was that UK trade with Aus plummeted when we joined the EU and will magically increase once we leave.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

With respect to your visitors, I think the only things we bought from Australia prior to joining the EEC were apples and butter. I don't remember either of them but I do recall butchers selling New Zealand lamb.

I did not imagine it would be like throwing a switch. But it strikes me that the fundamental issues are not being addressed. The most obvious one is that you don't get free access to the market without free movement of labour and paying your membership dues. Which would appear to be exactly what the government plans to continue to do.

I don't know if you guys are following the German election results right now but, AFD the right wing party has come 3rd in the results... :unsure: This is the first time EVER any right wing party have won seats in the stag' since, since............well, I think we all know how long ago and just how that panned out last time......:ph34r:

Either way there's definitely been a huge rise in the extreme right parties in the Eurozone in the last few years and I think something's amiss here...... I'm by no means what so ever a hardened Brexiteer but, I wouldn't be surprised if a few years time if Germany drowns and takes everyone around down with it... The HUGE and quite frankly staggering fines that Bosch and Deutsche Bank received seem to have been swept under the carpet so I wonder if and when they will resurface......And what might be the consequences of when they do......

5 hours ago, whiskychaser said:

If I am reading this correctly, Mavis intends for the UK to keep paying the EU for membership for at least two years after we are supposed to have left. So we have four years of  'as you were'. That will bring us within shouting distance of the next general election. Maybe her plan is to lose it so she doesn't have to deal with it?

She came close last time.

Whether you are pro or anti Brexit, I don't imagine anyone is particularly happy about this approach

The figure is for our financial commitments under the 7 years budget plan - plus an extra year.  Even hard and famous Brexiteers say we should honour our budget plan until 2020.  Some experts say we should pay about £36 billion for our divorce bill.

4 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

I'm not happy with this approach but did anyone, irrespective of their stance on exiting, believe it was going to be like throwing a switch? Anything short of that is a transition even if it only takes a week or two which was never going to happen.

We had two Aussie visitors staying last week. They said that getting out was the best for Britain, but most of all it was best for Australia. Their perception was that UK trade with Aus plummeted when we joined the EU and will magically increase once we leave.

This is one of the reasons to why I voted, and I am contradicting myself from a few weeks ago.   I no longer want a transition deal because we have America, Australia, Canada, India, New Zeeland etc all want a trade deal with us – will they wait until 2021?  If the remoaners in power didn’t talk this country down; or May didn’t have a vulgar manifesto, which made her to lose seats - then no deal will be a good option.

With no deal the Irish border will be solved because we won’t implement one.  The EU will tell Republic of Ireland to implement a hard border, and Republic of Ireland will tell the EU where to go.  Also we just trade with the rest of the world.  Above all no deal means we leave with no financial costs and we keep the £36 billion  

1 hour ago, whiskychaser said:

With respect to your visitors, I think the only things we bought from Australia prior to joining the EEC were apples and butter. I don't remember either of them but I do recall butchers selling New Zealand lamb.

Don't know all the ins and outs but the Australia economy suffered when we joint the EEC.

1 hour ago, whiskychaser said:

I did not imagine it would be like throwing a switch. But it strikes me that the fundamental issues are not being addressed. The most obvious one is that you don't get free access to the market without free movement of labour and paying your membership dues. Which would appear to be exactly what the government plans to continue to do.

Easily a free trade deal with the EU, to cover banks, airlines, food etc

Edited by nealpina

The ONS gives an idea of trade with most countries up to 2015. Trade with Aus doesn't seem insignificant if you download the spreadsheet.

http://visual.ons.gov.uk/uk-trade-partners/

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, boiliebasher said:

I don't know if you guys are following the German election results right now but, AFD the right wing party has come 3rd in the results... :unsure: This is the first time EVER any right wing party have won seats in the stag' since, since............well, I think we all know how long ago and just how that panned out last time......:ph34r:

Either way there's definitely been a huge rise in the extreme right parties in the Eurozone in the last few years and I think something's amiss here...... I'm by no means what so ever a hardened Brexiteer but, I wouldn't be surprised if a few years time if Germany drowns and takes everyone around down with it... The HUGE and quite frankly staggering fines that Bosch and Deutsche Bank received seem to have been swept under the carpet so I wonder if and when they will resurface......And what might be the consequences of when they do......

Wow on Friday the prediction was 10% of the vote, but it’s 13.5%

I will never understand far-right views as this leads to racist behaviour.  However I have recently read ‘The Strange Death of Europe’ by Douglas Murray (my friend recommend it to me as I have disagreements with him about mass-migration, and it has opened my eyes but I am not going to change who I am because of it). It has made me think more about the EU and how dishonest it’s leaders are, and until the left and the liberals talk about this subject without calling people racist or xenophobic, and on the other side of the spectrum the right must not use this as a racist tool about mass migration. Until then and unfortunately I will not be surprise with the raise of the far-right or the AfD

In my opinion it is very difficult in a liberal society to talk about race or culture without upsetting someone.  I am just glad I’m not in politics addressing why morally it is correct to treat everyone the same and why they believe that mass-migration is good for the economy; and then agreeing with the right that the leaders of Europe are turning a blind eye and rejecting the problems with mass-migration.  As I don’t know who is right or wrong but clearly there is an underlying problem which needs to be addressed.