Calypso-E34

Buying a nice E39 - Why so difficult?

So, I've decided to sell on my Mini Cooper S.  When I bought this, I was originally looking for an old BMW or Saab, but Her Indoors persuaded me that the Mini was something we could have some fun with together - so I went with it.  She's driven it twice.  Women.

Anyway, the Mini is up for sale on Ebay and in the classifieds on this very site, with all the work done and needing absolutely nothing - onwards and upwards.

I've been looking at a few E39s over the last few days on Ebay and on the Auto Trader web site, and I kid you not - every single one of them have some sort of issue - mostly related to the cooling system or the ASC.  When I ask further questions, there are the usual wheel wobble issues, undeclared rust etc.

One guy had a very nice looking 530i with a few nice options around the £3000 mark, described as pretty much perfect - yet when I gave him a call, it turned out he had used the pictures from when he bought the car - and that actually, there was now rust in the sills and on the boot lid, as well as a permanently on ASC light, and a water leak which came to light when someone test drove the car and it overheated. His garage traced this to the expansion bottle.  Anyway, he tells me he is going to get all that work done - BUT - would I be prepared to pay more for the car.  He has already increased the price on his ad, without mentioning any of this.

Another couple of options have come up now, in the form of two Saabs - a 9-5 Aero HOT and a 9-3 Viggen.  Seriously considering one of these now.

Why am I a car person again?!!

You just have to be patient.  

All of my buys have come up when I wasn't really looking.  All bargains, all good condition, all with good history.  There will always be something to do on a now 10+ year old car, you've got to be willing to spend

You just have to be patient.  

There will always be something to do on a now 10+ year old car, you've got to be willing to spend

I appreciate that, which is why I wouldn't have one as a daily - but I don't want to pay a premium price for a good car, and then have to spend a fortune!

Oh well - at least I know what to look for, and what questions to ask!

I think Sandip is right - old machinery costs money!

I have a soft spot for the so-called 'classic' Saab 900, but good examples are now expensive.

I've never owned an Aero or Viggen but the 2.3 engine is capable of 300k+ miles - check the Saab forums. I was warned off the 6-pot as the GM engine was 'an old design and very prone to oil leaks.

The 9-3 hatchback is hugely practical of course, as are the 9-5 estates.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Mark, have you seen the 540i that Tims is selling? Nice looking car in decent condition.

I haven't seen it Dan - and I can't find it now! Do you mean the green pre facelift Touring that's for sale?

Found it. Good car right enough, but not my cup of tea - too grey. I'd need to change the wheels too. I think an SE needs a nice dark metallic.

31 minutes ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Found it. Good car right enough, but not my cup of tea - too grey. I'd need to change the wheels too. I think an SE needs a nice dark metallic.

Find and buy back your 530?

Find and buy back your 530?

Funny enough, I know where that one is - I have the guy's email address. I found a load of paperwork relating to the car here, and sent it on to him. He's had it 2 years, and he says it's been great!

117k on it now.

It's a car you know. Make him an offer

Nah - that thing nearly put me off BMWs for life. All the paintwork and other bits I did is 2 years old now too.

It's still looking good - on 18" 32s now!

Actually, I don't know what he did to my exhaust! The tips are sticking way out - I had them flush with the bumper, Alpina style.

f15e964293dad78afded9edd3e758036.jpg

Saw my old 530i Individual on the road the other day - still looks great. Should have mothballed it with 48500 miles on it when sold! Mind you that was 3 years ago in November.

Loving the E36 328i as a fun car Mark - loads of fun and off to Oulton Park this weekend in it with a buddy.

Rupert - remember that chap you knew who was selling his immaculate E32? Did he get it sold in the end?

Basically mark you want perfection. Can't wait and are located in the arse end of nowhere.

There are good cars out there but you'll have to be patient and be prepared to travel. Even then I think you'll need to spend a reasonable sum. I bought my 530d for strong money and still threw more at it.

I don't think what you want exists at the money you'll pay if I'm honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With an e39, I'm thinking I'd pay up to £3500 for a good one needing nothing much, or £2500 - £3000 for one needing some work - say £1000 worth. So - £4000 all in.

Then again, the two Saabs I'm looking at will be between £2800 and £3800 - and won't need a thing. At this sort of money, they should hold their value well enough if maintained.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nice silver 9-3 SAAB in Ayr for sale on eBay Mark

On it mate. Been chatting to the vendor. If the Mini sells soon. I may very well be heading South for that one!