Paul Beer

Hello - Potential Owner

I'm currently looking for a new car as my wife and I are expecting our first child in December icon_smile.gif

As my wife doesn't currently drive and my current car doesn't have a boot (MR2 roadster), I have no choice but to change and will need to do so pretty soon before she can't get out of it. (I've had it for >10 years, so I'll be sorry to see it go).

Having looked at Auto Trader and noticed you can get a lot of older (~10 years old) BMW for your money. I'm very tempted to buy one (most likely an 5 series class diesel, but possibly a petrol) as they tick a lot of boxes (enjoyable, comfortable, not too much value left to lose, less likely to be mistaken for a hairdresser.).

I'm just starting my research but, in the first instance, I wanted to test my assumption that a well maintained example would still have a lot of life in it as a daily driver without constant breakdowns/repairs.

An example of the type of thing catching my eye is:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201604273392065

That's not at the top end of my budget, but I'm trying to be frugal as I hear children are expensive

On 8/23/2016 at 8:02 PM, Paul Beer said:

About 10k, mainly a 30 minute or so commute to work.

No specific need for a diesel, just drawn in by the combination of power and economy.

Go for a 2002 or 2003 E39 530d Sport - minimum spec:  heated Comfort seats and navigation  - try and find one with bluetooth as well. You won't regret it. Better car than the E60 in my opinion.

Edited by Piper

Welcome!

Agree with the above. Specification is nice but service history is better. Have a read of the stickies in the "im new" section as that has some buying guides and the basics of what to look out for. 

Also, dont be afraid to ask questions, if you dont know something, ask! we're all here to help if we can. 

Jam

5 minutes ago, Paul Beer said:

My worry with an E39 is that it would be less reliable and require higher maintenance - is this actually the case?

(Normally I'd dive right in for the better car, but needs must!)

I don't think the E60 has turned out to be anymore reliable than the E39. In many cases the E39 is less complicated mechanically than the E60.