richyx

anyone fitted the bmw performace brake kit to the e39

ive been reading some old threads regarding the bmw performance brake kist for the e39

now these are still available at bmw at a resonable price 850 i think

but my question is the hub size as surely the discs dont fit becuase of the silly hub size of the e39 yet ive seen these fitted and was a straight fitment

anyine got them fitted and know exactly whats involved? and if anyone does the brackets in the uk as well

and what kit is needed as im think its the e91 discs but im not sure

For that money I'd be looking at the BBK kits from D2 or K-Sport

From the reading I've done online, they're a straight fit and perform a lot better!

Quite a bit of info on these over on Bimmerforums 

its all down to price though

k sports are 1200 upwards then you need to spend money on decent pads as the k sport ones are crap so theres easily another couple hundred on top

where the bmw package are 6 pot brembos anyhow which work well

but its the discs thats concerning me due to hubs

The disc bore size I believe is all the same, that's how I managed to fit E46 M3 rear discs with E39 M5 calipers on the back of my E39 530d. It's only the wheel bore size which is different. 

15 hours ago, richyx said:

its all down to price though

k sports are 1200 upwards then you need to spend money on decent pads as the k sport ones are crap so theres easily another couple hundred on top

where the bmw package are 6 pot brembos anyhow which work well

but its the discs thats concerning me due to hubs

Don't go by the prices you see online!

Better prices can be had by making a few calls!

However, which E39 do you have as IMO a BBK kit is overkill unless you're in an M5 or yours is supercharged etc?!

mines only a 530, its more looks than stopping power tbh

considering the kit from bmw is 850 new everything i just need brackets then which isnt a bad price

and it has to be the hib size thats different not the wheels as why would you have to bore wheels out to fit the e39

this is what i dont understand as theres no info on what kit to use yet people have them fitted

ive been waiting days to get on the m5 board to ask my questions but no luck with that yet either

Edited by richyx

I did think that £850 was dirt cheap!

IMO, for a 530, you're completely wasting your money!

I've done a fair brake overhaul on mine (details in sig below) and it stops on a penny and I've driven my car hard (B roads etc) with lots of braking and no fade whatsoever

Obviously, it'd be different on track, but for a road-going car (unless you've done serious engine work) a BBK 'just for looks' is a lot of money to waste IMO

My 535 only has slotted rotors and performance pads on all four corners with the stock callipers. It stops so quickly it nearly pops your eyeballs out of your head...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

When the kit was first available it was about £850 which was about 4 years ago. 

At £1350 it isn't that bad I don't think as your getting brembo calipers which you would hope the quality would be better than the d2 and k sport etc 

Having owned Brembo BBK kits and the K-Sport kit, I'd say the K-Sports are just as good, they're also much better finished and lasted a lot longer than the Brembo's I had!

However, a thought would be to get the Brembo 4 pot calipers off the E38 728i and have someone fabricate brackets for those; not sure if that's worth looking into?! Not sure what discs would be needed though, if it could be done at all?!

They're great brakes and performed well on my 728i!

The E38 had a smaller rotor than my stock E39 535 ones I think from memory...

I looked into getting them as a direct bolt on replacement a couple of years back when I saw a set on eBay

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

i phoned my dealer up the other day with the part number that was needed and it comes to 856 inc vat 715 without vat this the part number  34110444738

alls thats needed then is te brackets which i cant find anywhere

but my issues is still the hub size being 74mm

heres the fitment guide i seen stating the part number

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/209547-how-fit-bmw-performance-brake-kit-e39-m5.html

but no mentioned of hubm the discs went straight on, something isnt right i dont think

Edited by richyx

Am i correct that when i look at real OEM that this is a kit not intended for the e39? but has been made to fit with some different carrier brackets?

If so i would assume that the discs centre bore would be wrong as the disc fits over the centre hub and is centred by it as per the wheel and secured by an allen screw - its then clamped to the hub by the wheel bolts.

I don't recall on other BM's the disc 'flapping' about because of an overlarge centre hole?

BUT that write up seems to show them slipping straight in - so do the e81/87 and 90 range have a large centrebore wheel a la e39?

Nope.. only the E39 has the larger 74.1 hub

Do wonder if the discs would move about? Doesn't sound safe to me... Are there any pics of this kit fitted to an E39?! 

this is what i dont understand how they have gone straight on

yes this kit willwork, but you need different brackets, again i cant find anyone who does them yet

but its the discs how are those dics being able to fit the hubs with no mention of modifed parts to fit i cant post on that board to ask so if anyone can please do so becuase theres another thread on there about them but still no info on what model to order for

I got a price on 

which is the full kit front and rear just checked what a numpty lol.

the discs go straight over as the hole in the disc is say 77mm and the disc sits on a recess that's larger than the 74.1 centre bore so they go straight on  

1 hour ago, richyx said:

so if thats the case, then why hasnt anyone done the f10 set up? assurely that would be a better solution

F10 bits are expensive. Discs £800 a pair. Calipers I bet don't change hands for less than £600 a pair.

I bet you could only run 18s maybe only 19s due to disc size. 

Someone needs to do the hard work of if they'll fit. Make prototype adapters to maybe not even be successful it would be a big outlay before starting any custom machining work.