Chris Wong

535d manual?

The e61 530d 6 speed manual was a great car.

A mate had one a few years back. Was a great performer and he still, to this day, reckons it was the best all rounder he's owned. it returned seriously good MPG as well compared to his mates 535d. 

Would still have it if only his nephew hadn't put it through two stationary cars and across the top of a roundabout  that the afore mentioned cars were waiting to enter!!!!

57be994f5675d_marcuse61a.jpg.c29b5d16b05

Edited by B7TMW

Guys this is a big diesel exec saloon designed for long distance cruising. Most people don't want a manual in a car that's doing lots of miles. I definitely don't miss a manual now I'm sat in motorway traffic most days. If you look on auto trader at the f10 520d you see that a lot of them are autos now too. If you want similar power and a manual shift you need you go for a petrol variant.

Agree Westy, love the manual in my GTD but the 535d would not be the distance cruiser and fast road paddle demon that it is. I stun friends when I select sport plus and use the paddles, how agile and pointy the huge boat can be. Keep annoying my mate in his GTR as if he's caught napping and not in the right gear/power band the 535d is all over him.

9 hours ago, Blobby said:

I think one of the big obstacles in having a manual would be the clutch.. You need some seriously powerful springs to make sure it doesn't slip with all the torque.

Clutch isn't a issue many high pressure clutches around and good flywheels 

8 hours ago, Lennox said:

I would get it looked at as my E61 535d (two up) was logged on a timing box when mapped at 5.6s and 6.3s 0-60 when it was returned to standard (full iDrive update). Done a few in the F11 (standard) and my best was 5.8s but that was using an iPhone app.

Yeah need take it to my indy to have a look what do think it could be.. I know vacuum pipes could be one anymore? 

5 hours ago, Westy said:

Guys this is a big diesel exec saloon designed for long distance cruising. Most people don't want a manual in a car that's doing lots of miles. I definitely don't miss a manual now I'm sat in motorway traffic most days. If you look on auto trader at the f10 520d you see that a lot of them are autos now too. If you want similar power and a manual shift you need you go for a petrol variant.

That's definitely a good point but diesels these days have the same potential as any petrol variant 

Diesels don't have the same narrow power band that they used to have surely, technology has moved on. So I don't see why a diesel can't be manual. You have complete control, so you change gear at the right time to suit the characteristics of the engine.  

Diesels don't have the same narrow power band that they used to have surely, technology has moved on. So I don't see why a diesel can't be manual. You have complete control, so you change gear at the right time to suit the characteristics of the engine.  

I'm not saying they can't be manual. I'm saying that most people/companies that buy diesels, buy them to do lots of miles, and therefore an auto box is a lot nicer than manual clutching in rush hour on the M25.

I also like having both hands on the wheel and instant up and down shifts. I find I can drive faster whilst smoother in the 535d. The golf a more fling it about ride as you stir the pot.

sometimes I feel like I'm driving a old man's barge! 

You are mate. These cars are built for comfort and eating up the miles. You cant compare apples with oranges.

3 hours ago, Westy said:

You are mate. These cars are built for comfort and eating up the miles. You cant compare apples with oranges.

Yeah I'm guessing your right maybe I'm just missing my hot hatches and think the barge is something it's not 

Straight line performance, there can't be many hot hatches that can beat a 535d

When I had my E61 535d (DMS 370bhp) I embarrassed many a young dreamer (I was only early 30s mind you), had great fun one night with a blue and gold Subaru. I'm sure on the track he would have me but 50-120mph on a (private runway) all he did was Bob up and down as I kept pulling away... the only cars I really lost too were:

- Mates 2010 GTR

- Neighbours S8 then Bentley W12

- an M5 F10

- 996 Turbo S (that I do nearly bought, kids killed the dream)

- a very close race with an Audi A8 4.2tdi but road conditions were against me.

I raced almost every hot hatch and from stand still to a 60 it could sometimes be close but beyond that I was gone. However in the age of uber hot hatches I think the 535d is off the pace.

The F11 is quicker I feel midrange (gearbox?!?) and with a map (eco tune 390bhp) it would be fun!!

3 hours ago, Chris Wong said:

Seriously my 0-60 is so poor it's untrue 

But 60-140 is a monster! 

What about a retrofit F11 gearbox in a e61? 

Well, get your car properly diagnosed then before throwing money at other "solutions". Clearly something is not right with it.

I have a 3.0 d in my f11 with a manual gearbox because I hate autos, I know it is a very unpopular combination of 6 pot diesel manual but I rather like it, the power band is wider than you'd imagine and it pulls from almost no revs. I will be remapping it later this year too