Sign in to follow this  
Piper

Mk4 repair

Got another Mk4 that isnt reading discs. Repair service on ebay are £100 plus.

Anyone capable or know of anyone? 

Edit - done. See below.

Edited by Piper

Hi,

Forum member Xkalibar provides this service and also at a great level of quality with support and aftercare if needed. The best choice if wanting to repair the oem modules.

A cheaper service advertised at £110 + £4.95 on ebay reads very poorly, so I'd question just how good the service provided will actually be. 

There's nothing cheaper and if there was, the work would most likely be of an even lower standard.

Cheers, Dennis!

Oh yeah Carphonics.

I'll check out the website. Thing is, a fully working mk4 can now be easily had for £150 so repairers need to take this into account. 

Edited by Piper

The Mk4 DVD drive unit is extremely easy to replace.

It is the same as the DVD drive unit in the E6x's, E8x's and E9x's with CCC (Professional Nav up to 9/98).

So you can fit a brand new BMW unit with a 2yr warranty.

Part number is 65839273195

Edited by RosieE39/2

8 hours ago, RosieE39/2 said:

It is the same as the DVD drive unit in the E6x's, E8x's and E9x's with CCC (Professional Nav up to 9/98).

Excellent tip Sir. Thanks. Any idea of the price?

On 8/12/2016 at 0:18 AM, RosieE39/2 said:

Can i just confirm before I buy that the part number is 65839273195

So for £88.45 for replacement drive add £120 for the original unit I now have a working drive that should be good for another 13 years.

New drive is an M5 unit (interesting use of name) old unit was M3 4.6. The M5 unit isnt listed on real oem as e39 applicable but it totes is. Pretty cool I now have the unit that was used on X6s right up until 2014.

Out with the old and in with the new. This was a piece of piss to do. Just two cables. New drive makes absolutely no noise at all and reads a 2016 map disc copy. Overall pleased. Need to do something about that green line on the screen but refuse to pay anymore than a fiver for these 4:3 units. Could buy a wide screen monitor but I've had it with throwing money at old BMWs. 

20160824_092455.jpg

20160824_092913.jpg

20160824_095928.jpg

20160824_102731.jpg

20160824_091656.jpg

Edited by Piper

Unless I get lucky and see one for well below £100 I'm gonna stick with the 4:3. I've thrown thousands at e39s and e38s over the years, at the moment my wallet is gonna stay firmly in my pocket. This whole retrofit install has cost me around £230 including the nav unit. That's enough for now. TBH the next step should be a high OBC upgrade.

I've spent loads of time reading about the Mk IV nav unit and issues crashing but never seen that a replacement is available from  BMW for <£100 before, ordered mine today and very happy.

This should be a sticky in the Audio & Nav section!

6 hours ago, BarryM said:

I've spent loads of time reading about the Mk IV nav unit and issues crashing but never seen that a replacement is available from  BMW for <£100 before, ordered mine today and very happy.

This should be a sticky in the Audio & Nav section!

Do you have some issues with your unit Barry?

Hi Chris, the nav has worked fine for the last few years but lately it's started to fail after 45/60 mins into a journey so I'm guessing the optical drive is getting 'tired'. I had spoken to Baris and planned to send it off to him but have now ordered a new one from Cotswold

I'd never heard mention of this swap before but it's a no brainer at the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely. Its cheaper to buy from a dealer and do it yourself than any of the repair services and it is literally 4 TX screws and two cables. A three year old could do it.

I've noticed that the M5 drive seems faster than the M3 4.6 drive as well. 

3 hours ago, BarryM said:

M3, M5, 4.6.....are you talking cars or DVD units emoji4.png

DVD units, what a choice of names!

My M5 drive arrived yesterday from Cotswold, fitted it this evening and it really is as easy as Chris says.....one of the few 15min jobs you can do on an E39