SameChain

E60/E61 Peeling Steering Trim? - Fix

Hello everyone,

There's loads of DIY's on the interwebs showing how to refurb the peeling interior trims on E46/E9x/E6x's etc - but very little showing OEM(ish) finishes (i'm not a fan of carbon fibre wraps!)

So i thought i'd share my experience with my 'fixing' my peeling steering wheel trim on my E60 and trying to keep it looking as OEM as possible. 

As i've just got my steering wheel re-trimmed by Jack at Royal Steering Wheels (Highly Recommend!) - The only thing that let it down was the lower trim, which costs around £52 from BMW (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182218158095 ) - i wanted to try something different. 

Before:

After:

Here's how i done it...

I popped down to Screwfix and picked up at can of Plastikote - Matte Black Paint for £4.55 (http://www.screwfix.com/p/plasti-kote-super-multipurpose-spray-paint-matt-black-400ml/33732

I then removed my steering wheel trim, airbag off and two screws holding it on.

Peeled off all the remaining rubberized coating, until i had a smooth surface to work with. Then throughly cleaned the trim with alcohol wipes.

Masked up around the M badge and the steering control buttons. (cleaned again with alcohol) Then started to apply thin coats, slowly building up the layers, leaving 5-10 minutes between each coat. (In total 4 coats)

Until i was left with this finish..

I'm very pleased with how this turned out. IMO pretty close to OEM! :-) 

Hope this helps someone out there! 

Cheers! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by SameChain
Images.

Very nice! I was thinking of using the remainder of a can of plastidip I had but this looks like a more permanent fix. How does the finish feel, still slightly rubbery or like normal paint would feel?

On 28 July 2016 at 1:08 PM, Anthonyc said:

Very nice! I was thinking of using the remainder of a can of plastidip I had but this looks like a more permanent fix. How does the finish feel, still slightly rubbery or like normal paint would feel?

Hi Anthonyc,

Doesn't feel rubbery - just like normal paint i'm afriad, but still smooth.

Cheers,

David