RyanBuck

F11 glass tailgate slowwww...

Hi all hope your all ok.

I have a small niggle with my F11 to which I hope some one might have seen/fixed before?

My tail gate works fine however the glass section seems very slow when you first open.

If I open the glass part it opens with a 30mm gap and creeps up then with in 5 seconds it will open up fully at speed etc.

It would seem this is operated by gas dampers or springs?

If it a case of adjusting somthing?

Regards

9 hours ago, Lennox said:

Mine does the same.... I assume it's just the struts are not very strong..

HI Lennox,

Dam I take it the struts are in the roof liner?

My wife's Kuga has a power tailgate which is slow on the first 30 mm of travel just on opening and immediately before closing.  It then powers itself faster once away from the near closed position.  It works from a single powered strut

i think it is due to the fact that it doesn't open quickly incase it strikes something and damages the struck object or more importantly the opening/closing mechanism.  

Also you want it to go slowly at first due to the inertia of the window, go too fast and you may break the glass.

4 hours ago, RyanBuck said:

HI Lennox,

Dam I take it the struts are in the roof liner?

Hi, my F11 has been doing this for a couple of years now. I used to be able to press the 3rd button on the remote to open the glass and it would pop up and open fully while now it has been reduced to a feable pop (not up) just a few centimetres. You are right, there are 2 gas struts in place to open the glass window that are behind the headliner. I've attached a document showing the procedure to replace the spindle drives that open the tailgate but it shows clearly the gas struts for the rear window. From what I can find the part number is: 51247210557, you'll need to replace both and a quick search shows them in Germany for around 50 euros.

F11 Remove Spindle Drive.pdf

On 22/07/2016 at 0:18 PM, Matthew Ashton said:

Hi, my F11 has been doing this for a couple of years now. I used to be able to press the 3rd button on the remote to open the glass and it would pop up and open fully while now it has been reduced to a feable pop (not up) just a few centimetres. You are right, there are 2 gas struts in place to open the glass window that are behind the headliner. I've attached a document showing the procedure to replace the spindle drives that open the tailgate but it shows clearly the gas struts for the rear window. From what I can find the part number is: 51247210557, you'll need to replace both and a quick search shows them in Germany for around 50 euros.

F11 Remove Spindle Drive.pdf

So this looks like the head liner would have to be removed ouch ...

10 hours ago, sshooie said:

If it should move but doesn't - WD40

If it shouldn't move but does - Duct tape.

Lol lol think you have been watching to much Blue Peter :lol:

Hi Guys, ok so i think i am going to need to carry this job out as the glass tail gate will now not open by its self with out the aid of my self lifting the glass.

I have had a look on Real OEM and i think it is a sent of new dampers that i need as per Matt's post above with part number 51247210557

Click me to see pic.

Does any one have any idea in the procedure on replacing these, from the picture it looks like it has ball cups each end so they should 'pop' off however i should not imagine it really is that simple?

Can this job be done with out the removal of the head liner?

Any help info please guys.

Hi guys, so has no one done this job as per above?

I have had a tad look today and I am sure the rear part of the head liner would have to be dropped enough to gain access??

Again any one have any info to this job in hand or reference the head liner?

Regards 

On 10/2/2016 at 6:11 PM, RyanBuck said:

Hi guys, so has no one done this job as per above?

I have had a tad look today and I am sure the rear part of the head liner would have to be dropped enough to gain access??

Again any one have any info to this job in hand or reference the head liner?

Regards 

Ryan, I sent you a PM with a couple of documents. Hope you find them useful.

On 11/10/2016 at 22:25, Matthew Ashton said:

PM sent

Any chance of a copy of the docs as i may get around to doing mine. It's not too bad in the summer but slows down in the winter.

When I bought my F11 I honestly thought the glass part was power assisted, as it opened all the way, with a very uniform motion. This was the hot summer, and fast forward to the cooler winter, and it now just pops open - the rest has to be done by hand. No big problem though,  I'm not going to do anything about it.

13 hours ago, dandle said:

Found  this if anyone is interested. https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f11-530d-tou/repair-manuals/51-body-equipment/51-24-tailgate-catch-locks/DtbK7VRE

Requires the headlining to be dropped so i'm going to leave it too. Mine still works just isn't sprightly.

My documents were .pdf versions of the info in link you've found but from within ISTA, that was before newtis.

I also never bothered addressing mine. I was happy to be in control of how far the window opened in case you used the remote button to open it when in a restricted height area, like the Eurotunnnel where the window will hit the ceiling.