cubbyq

Automatic Transmissions Preston - Thumbs up!

Hi All,

Had the oil and filter changed by the guys at Automatic Transmissions as the car's just rolled past 72k, and I wanted to do some preventative maintenance.

The plan was to have the oil changed, along with fitting the alternative metal sump & filter, however the 'box on mine is a ZF6HP19, and the metal sump is only available for the HP26.

They had the standard plastic sump/filter in stock, so fitted that, which brought the cost down by £50.00 to £300.00 inc. VAT.

The guys were really knowledgable and efficient, and I'm really pleased with the work - depending on how you look at it, it was nice to see a couple more E60's in there when I arrived!

I've driven 170-odd miles back home today and it's definitely quieter, and seems a little more responsive; on the motorway at 60 going up an incline it changed down of it's own accord on a light throttle, whereas before it would have stayed in gear and felt sluggish, with me having to give it a bit more stick to kick down.

With a bit of spirited driving in sport, it just feels a bit crisper on the changes while also being smoother. Oddly it seems like the car is slower, however looking at the speedo, it's definitely not, there's just a lot less drama.

I'd not had any problems with the gearbox before, and it felt fine, however this has been worthwhile, and the guys did say that there oil that came out was pretty clean, and there were no errors logged, so nice to hear that the 'box is in good condition, and hopefully it'll stay that way.

As long as I keep the car, I'll be heading back up there in another 50-70k miles.

The only problem now is that with the gearbox being quieter, the humming I'm getting from a suspected wheel bearing is now even more apparent :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Nick

4 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

Sounds good! I'm working towards getting this done but not sure which auto box I have in my LCI 525d - how do I check? Is yours LCI or pre-LCI please Nick?

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Surefire way to check is to get the car on a ramp and read the stamping on the side. Knowing it's a 6 speed isn't usually mean it's a more common 6HP26. Usually they are either the 6HP19 or 6HP21 in the 525d.

1 hour ago, pidgeonpost said:

Thanks for that. Putting my VIN into Real OEM website says it's a GA6HP19Z.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=NX52-EUR-03-2007-E60N-BMW-525d&diagId=24_1024

ZF only make a metal sump for the 6HP26, so yours would be a standard plastic sump.

James

Again, thanks James. Pity about the plastic sump, but perhaps the genuine ZF ones aren't prone to distortion as someone on here had this problem with an aftermarket one.

On 29 June 2016 at 11:41 AM, AutomaticTransmissions said:

Thanks for the review Nick.

Glad to hear the car has improved drive-wise for you!

See you in 50,000!

James

Hi James, you're welcome!

I've done just under 700 miles this week since seeing you, and it was so worth doing, thank you.

@pidgeonpost, mine's an LCI, hope that helps.

Cheers,

Nick

On 2 July 2016 at 9:13 AM, AutomaticTransmissions said:

We're just as happy to see good reviews as you are!

Any help needed, don't hesitate to ask!!

James

I'll bet!

If I decide to keep the car long term I'll definitely get a trip across the pond to you to get it sorted. 

As always with these cars, there are other issues to resolve first :(

I took my e39 to Automatic Transmissions Preston on Wednesday.

I got an excellent efficient service from them at a very good price, they showed me the old oil which made me glad I went there.

The customer service & staff is one of the best I've seen.

i'm now looking to get both oil sump gaskets replaced with them 

thanks

kalp

Evening, roughly how long does this take from start to finish?

I live in Derbyshire and unless someone can put on to a good team as such then im going to have to make the trip.

And is it doable on a Saturday at all?

09 plate 530d LCI

regards Rob

2 hours ago, Robert F Fluff said:

Evening, roughly how long does this take from start to finish?

I live in Derbyshire and unless someone can put on to a good team as such then im going to have to make the trip.

And is it doable on a Saturday at all?

09 plate 530d LCI

regards Rob

They've not been on here in over a month pal; best to call them really!

These guys are actually not too far from me, and mine is on 95k without being previously services so I best make the trip.

I will post my little review in here and my build thread for those who are interested.