CV35Ian

DEPOSIT TAKEN My E39 B10 3.3 Touring Manual

Both myself and the buyer are pleased with the deal, so everyone is a winner................

Now to decide what to replace it with which is always fisticuffs with Mrs s - no automatics, no posh button starters or modern keys, proper handbrake, not to big, not too small, mustn't cost more than the one you've just sold etc etc..................

I'll stay on forum though, not sure I will get an F11 (or whatever they are) 520d sport tourer past the She Chancellor!

For the right price I'm prepared to let this go, slight change in  car 'direction' for Smith Family for a while, at least 'Alpina' box ticked!

2001 (51) Touring Build No 54. 118,500 miles approx.(dash pic is from earlier in year showing less miles).

Since I've had it the following work has been done:
Oct/Nov 2015 - new front discs and pads (OEM), new tailgate struts (auto open still not working), handbrake bits at back rebuilt;
2016 - Full service, new NSF brake caliper (not OEM), new alternator belts and tensioners (OEM), rear mudflaps fitted (OEM), MOT with no Advisories (May), all new Alpina wheel locks;

Lets start with Faults:
Bodywork is tired (some 'London' dents), plus bumpers need repainting - have been quoted £750 to repaint bumpers/mop car and sort cill damage (incorrect jacking when changing wheels) - see pics;
Front bumper slightly out of line (incorrect NSF arch liner fitted I think);

auto tailgate open not working, makes a noise but no action!
TPMS inop' - think new wheel fitted has no sensor;
PDC stopped working recently - probably a sensor out, was fine for first 6 months;
One electric headrest not working and NSR window doesn't open;
Usual rear side blinds 'top part' broken (I have extracted blinds from door and refitted tabs to stop them disappearing again);
Re interior, main issue is needs deep clean - couple of small bits of trim damage commensurate with 118K miles;

Good bits:
Its a very rare B10 Manual Touring, 3 owners;

MOT passed with no advisories;
Decent stamped plus invoice history inc replacement head etc at 80k (£4,000+) - bills totalling £10,000+...........and original order/Invoice £47,000!
Good premium tyres (Michelin plus one continental), plus spare front Michelin as there is a 'nick' in NSF tyre - all 5mm plus;
Spare rear wheel (fixed now - this was dented by PO who then replaced with new hence the one odd Conti tyre);
No pixels missing on dash;
Has all the extras ticked (electric sports seats, heated seats, Satnav etc). Comes with a 'Dice' unit and adaptor for the amp system (replaces Autochanger with Aux/Ipod connector) - not yet fitted;
4 x 17 inch Staggered BMW alloys that need a refurb and winter tyres ;
OEM Boot liner;
thule square roof bar kit - only used twice.

Currently on private Plate.

So with the private plate I'm looking for £6,750;

I can take plate off and sell for £6,250.

Hard to value, but an Auto one albeit with lower mileage and sorted bodywork sold recently for £10,000.

Need quick sale so I don't lose the other car(s!) I've put  'small' deposits on, If I lose them then i'll rethink sale and getting bodywork done. Sensible offers/enquiries - these don't appear very often.

Car located just off M40 J12 (Warwickshire), unfortunately not able to do viewings this weekend (24-26 June) - bad timing on finding another car and previous potential buyer pulling out (not complaining though as he was straight with me all along).

PLEASE NO LENGHTHY 'PUBLIC' DISCUSSIONS ON THIS FORUM RE THIS CAR - IF INTERESTED OR 'LIKE' PLEASE CONTACT ME, IF NOT PLEASE KEEP OPINIONS TO YOURSELVES - SORRY BUT SOME PREVIOUS MUDSLINGING HERE (AND ON OTHER CAR FORUMS WHEN A CAR APPEARS FOR SALE) ARE TOTALLY UNECCESSARY.

Thanks

Ian

Alpina front view.jpg

Alpina B10 1.jpg

Alpina Int F.jpg

Alpina Int R.jpg

Alpina Plaque.jpg

dash.jpg

Alpina OSF cill.jpg

Alpina NSF cill.jpg

Edited by CV35Ian

I know I said this

PLEASE NO LENGHTHY 'PUBLIC' DISCUSSIONS ON THIS FORUM RE THIS CAR - IF INTERESTED OR 'LIKE' PLEASE CONTACT ME, IF NOT PLEASE KEEP OPINIONS TO YOURSELVES - SORRY BUT SOME PREVIOUS MUDSLINGING HERE (AND ON OTHER CAR FORUMS WHEN A CAR APPEARS FOR SALE) ARE TOTALLY UNECCESSARY.

but..............................................maybe now is the time for some useful opinions?:mellow:

As Duncan(?) once rightly said, rare doesn't always mean desirable or easy to sell, I could get paintwork/cills sorted but some people can either do this themselves or get mates rates for the work - I'm also aware people sometimes prefer to get work done themselves as well so they know its done properly.

And I don't recall my fuel can being in the car when photographed, but I am getting forgetful in my old age.:huh:

Ian

I like it though i don't think the pics do it justice.

Some people won't see what the premium is over a 530i for £3k i'd expect.

Get it polished up and some decent pics and i'm sure some one would be interested.

The premium over a 530i is that the B10 3.3 gives you 540i performance for 530i economy as well as Alpina handling, and with this car, a manual gearbox.

You're in a strange area for an E39. Alpina or not, it needs a grand spent sorting the faults out. That makes it over £7k, and I suspect the number of people looking for an E39 with issues at £7k is very few. 

There's an auto on eBay at a trader for £6495 with a few more miles but looks to be in decent condition. You'd have to really want a manual to walk past that. 

Have you you got it advertised elsewhere? I don't think this forum is the ideal place for it - I sold two E39 Tourings last week, one within hours, one within a few days. One on eBay, one on Facebook. 

TL;DR: price. 

i would be spending time cleaning it at least , the back floor mats are genuine ALPINA but are all stained , the car needs valeted and de personalised for the sale..ie nothing belonging to you shouls be in it , nothing in cubbys, no petrol cans lol

And simply just better pics because as others have said you want a huge chunk of cash over a manual Sport touring ( in my case you want £5750 more than mine ) so ALPINA or not that advert doest reinforce why.

Spend Saturday cleaning it and pics i bet you get far more interest from enthusiasts:)

Or like alot of people, they just don't get alpina so you quite often have to wait. Thats a bit of me but my drive is full enough

Thanks Chaps, really appreciate the help, did have it valeted (twice) but it was filthy again by the time I had a viewing!

Talking to paint shop re including a 'deep clean' on carpets and boot area and i'll stop using a bloody iphone for photos - I have a decent camera just too lazy to upload photos to Laptop! Thanks for the advice re personal items FB.

I do love a 200mph speedo!

Ian

If it helps, when you do retake the photographs, take them is two ways, wide open shots to see the overall car, (park in an well lit open space) and secondly focus on what makes it an Alpina. Good luck with the repairs...

So its now been cleaned properly and the stains have come out of the carpets (that sounds so wrong)..................as a selection of pics, how are these for starters?

Debating whether to sort bumpers and cills or not before sale.

and yes:

I did forget to rephoto cills, and theres a rogue pen by the cupholders, dog removed and that's an antique snooker cue  by the OSR wheel!

Have updated C&C Ad

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C758318

Edited by CV35Ian

If you do the paintwork/bodywork, you'll have to stand your ground on the price, otherwise you'll not get that back!

If you've a feeling you may keep it, get them done, otherwise be prepared to haggle on price as the buyer will want £££ off for that work!

Re the pics, sorry to be blunt pal, but it still looks filthy!

• Give the engine bay a quick clean and detail (a rag and WD40 will do the trick nicely; it looks unloved/not looked after IMO)!
  • Is the steering wheel dirty, or just heavily marked?!
  • The interior carpet stains and mats don't help; have you any other clean mats you can use?
  • I'd also give the arch liners a good clean, they still look filthy and they detract from the clean alloys/tyres and surrounding paintwork!

All the above is IMO pal, we're all different when it comes to cars and what to expect! I'm analy-retarded when it comes to cars and their cleanliness; so the above mentioned, I'd do at a minimum!

Thanks and comments appreciated.

• See what you mean re arch liners, I think i'll need to do that at home and then not drive it before photos - this is what happens after 20 miles use in the 'Warwickshire building site' (are there really 10,000 people around Leamington looking for crappy new houses that are between £280 and 480K'?!)
  • The shadows on carpets and mats are where its still damp from Valet (it really is clean  - but yes I did get drivers mat dirty getting into car this morning, not spotted that);
  • Yes the cill bits are the old photos, will redo in a bit;
  • Re steering wheel, see what you mean, its just a bit worn after 120K miles but no rips/stitching gone;
  • Engine bay, noted -  something else for tonight!

Ian

leave the engine bay its an engine and all i ever think when i see something tonced up in there that the vendor is trying to pull the wool over my eyes/hide oil leaks or something else along those lines. A dirty engine bay doesn't mean the car is unloved. An empty service book is unloved. Its as bad as viewing a car and the engine is warmed up when you get there imo.  

Alpinas can take time to sell they're a niche type car. Its done a few miles and been used like intended i'd not worry about making it perfect as said it just ups the price which sadly limits the buying audience. I like it its got alot going for it spec, manual, facelift, colour not too many miles 

Sorry, but rubbish re the cleaning of an engine bay!

Any enthusiast will have a car clean, inside and out including the engine bay!

Work done, receipts kept show there's nothing to hide!

If I or anyone else, as an enthusiast, opened a bonnet up and saw a filthy engine bay, that would give the impression the engine hasn't been looked after at all! :roll:

Anyway, this isn't the place for this conversation, sorry to the OP!

The pictures are still awful - sorry. Some constructive feedback for you:

They make the bodywork look rubbish. I can't tell if it's the pictures or the bodywork, but if I were looking to buy they'd put me off straight away.

The front and rear bumpers looked stone chipped and scratched, the front splitter looks like the paint is peeling off in one pic, the OSF outer PDC sensor looks to be black not blue, the rear wiper is parked in the wrong place, etc etc.

Then there's the details - OK, you can't hide stains on beige carpet but get the black rubber lash cords fitted and they'll distract from them in the boot. What's the wire coming out of the boot floor for? Doesn't look original, so hide it if you can. If the boot mech "only" needs filling with fluid then fill it! Give the engine bay plastics a wipe down with a damp cloth - that's all that's needed there.

In my view, the list of faults is unacceptable at that price. As you've still got the car, I'm guessing other people agree.

Take the car somewhere a bit more photogenic for some new photos and make sure they're not over-exposed.

It's not a cheap car - don't approach selling it like one!

The pictures are still awful - sorry. Some constructive feedback for you:

They make the bodywork look rubbish. I can't tell if it's the pictures or the bodywork, but if I were looking to buy they'd put me off straight away.

The front and rear bumpers looked stone chipped and scratched, the front splitter looks like the paint is peeling off in one pic, the OSF outer PDC sensor looks to be black not blue, the rear wiper is parked in the wrong place, etc etc.

Then there's the details - OK, you can't hide stains on beige carpet but get the black rubber lash cords fitted and they'll distract from them in the boot. What's the wire coming out of the boot floor for? Doesn't look original, so hide it if you can. If the boot mech "only" needs filling with fluid then fill it! Give the engine bay plastics a wipe down with a damp cloth - that's all that's needed there.

In my view, the list of faults is unacceptable at that price. As you've still got the car, I'm guessing other people agree.

Take the car somewhere a bit more photogenic for some new photos and make sure they're not over-exposed.

It's not a cheap car - don't approach selling it like one!

I think seller is being honest with the car, he's not trying to hide anything, the pics look like the bumpers are marked, peeling, chipped, because........they are!!!! which he has mentioned. Black straps wont hide anything, bodywork is dinged, regardless of where he parks the car, its the same car, nothing wrong with the location. £5,750 not terrible money, it will sell as someone will want it, truth be told I am half tempted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just looked on ebay, you can pick up very sorted ones for not a lot more money, I stand corrected.

Thanks all, and happy for the comments as all are constructive. I need to improve my selling technique and Photo skills. its not just any old Mondeo/Passat after all.

The cable in boot is the DICE cable, needs routing properly once tested.

Only query is - that's where the rear wiper has always parked, where should it be?

Might get paintwork sorted though.........

On the plus side, Stag passed MOT today with two very minor advisories.

Wiper linkage assembly rubber bush has no doubt perished and is sitting a little lower than where it should do ( e61 here so going off my experience ). I cut a phone case up to similar sized stamp footprints of the block and glued them into position, my wiper now sits perfect

Black Park Sensor is the new one as per code reading, not yet painted.