nt7650

Trouble adding phone to Bluetooth

Hi, 

i am am not sure what I'm doing wrong but cannot add my phone to the Bluetooth. 

My my first attempt it added and was listed in the addeded devices and then connected automatically and I could make called and stream audio. 

Everything as it should. 

Then in my daughter wanted to add her phone. Went through the same procedure and just wouldn't add. My boy tried to add his phone and the same. 

So so I removed my phone and went to reconnect to show how easy it was and now I have the same problems. 

Ill expaine what's going on. 

There red is no devices added on the telephone Bluetooth list. 

Click on add device, then discover the car on the phone. Then put a code into the car, same code onto phone and click pair. 

The he car says connecting, the phone immediately says connected. 

The car just contiunes to say connecting for a long time. 

But this is some connection as I can play audio through Bluetooth. Once my phone rang and was connected to Bluetooth. But I can't access the phone or phone book on the car as there are no added devices. 

I checked the the software version and was uptodate. I restored to the previous versions and still the same. I loaded a fresh up to date version and no luck. 

Am am I unlucky enough to have broke this within just 2 days of owning this car. Or am I missing something ? 

Would really apriciate any help.. 

The he car is a 2012 535 with professional sat nav and I'm not sure of the names of the other bits. 

Thanks 

danny 

I have had similar problems as you. It seems to be more of the problem is with phone side.

While trying to pair tell your phone to forget the bmw device and then refind it again. May be you tried this but it worked for me.

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys, please let me apologise in advance as I may be slated on this one.

BUT, Danny, have you read back what you have written? It is so hard to read and understand what you are saying? Are you able to edit it so that it makes sense?

Ok. Sorry. I'll try again. 

I did did sucessfully have my phone connected. 

I tried to to connect another 2 phones and they said connected on the phones but the car just continued to connect. 

I deleted met phone and then tried to connect and having no joy. 

It it gets as far as pairing, phone reads paired, but the display on the car keeps connecting for ages. 

However, I can stream Bluetooth audio, but no phone calls and the phone isn't listed in the paired devices on the car. 

I have told phone / phones to forget car connection and re discover and still can not get connection. 

idd add photos. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Problem solved. 

I was was putting in pass code as 0000 and same on car. I was trying all different combinations. 

Then in I did 1234 and it all connected. 

I didnt think think it mattered as long as they matched ? 

But it all ok now

Hello - I have this exact same problem. I have tried ‘forgetting’ the connection on my iPhone and then reconnecting to no avail. It’s so frustrating as everything works bar being able to call out from the car via the steering wheel or idrive as it does not think there is a phone connected; yet if I call out using my phone (or there is an incoming call) it all works fine. 

I would be very grateful for any help

thank you 

Hi Matthew - thanks for your reply. The trouble is that the car doesn’t think there is a phone connected to delete. On both the phone and audio menus on the idrive there are four (empty) slots yet there is also the signal bars showing and some functionality works (audio playback, incoming calls, address book showing). 

Is there a way of resetting the idrive and deleting everything?

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Hi Matthew - thanks for your reply. The trouble is that the car doesn’t think there is a phone connected to delete. On both the phone and audio menus on the idrive there are four (empty) slots yet there is also the signal bars showing and some functionality works (audio playback, incoming calls, address book showing). 

Is there a way of resetting the idrive and deleting everything?

If you go into "Profiles" in the iDrive and delete all available profiles that will reset to default all settings. You will lose any presets you've set in the 1 - 8 buttons and your mirror positions but those are all really easily set. There is no other way of resetting the iDrive.

Hi Indy / Matthew,

I've been having exactly the same problem on my 2012 530 F10. was working fine then tried adding my daughter's phone and it's all gone wrong. I have the same issue as in my phone can receive calls and play music via bluetooth showing as Fish's iPhone 7, but there is nothing listed in the bluetooth devices. I've gone into profiles and there's nothing in there apart from 'import profile', 'export profile', '(----)', '(----)', 'guest'. 

i've forgotten the car's profile in my phone and then re-added it but there's no difference i.e. the problem persists. Can you suggest anything else please - it's driving me mad!!!

thanks in advance,

Paul 

Hi Matthew - thanks for your advice, I’ve reset all the profiles, deleted the car from my phone and restarted the idrive. That did help as the two no longer had the semi connection but when I reconnected my phone alas the same problem was still there. Any other thoughts?

fishonpar - if I find the answer I’ll post it here. 

Thank you

18 minutes ago, Indy said:

Hi Matthew - thanks for your advice, I’ve reset all the profiles, deleted the car from my phone and restarted the idrive. That did help as the two no longer had the semi connection but when I reconnected my phone alas the same problem was still there. Any other thoughts?

fishonpar - if I find the answer I’ll post it here. 

Thank you

Have you updated the Bluetooth software on your car? See this website and enter your VIN. If you do find a later version, make sure you use a newly formatted USB stick, NTFS or FAT32 has worked for me. https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html 

Morning both.

thanks for the advice. I downloaded the latest software last night and plugged in to the car and got a message saying it was up to date with the latest version. Not entirely convinced this is the case though as I’ve not updated it myself, would the garage have done it at service perhaps I wonder. 

Cheers 

Hi. Just had this come through on my email. 

What i I discovered or should I say eventually worked out it that when my daughter tried to connect her phone is when everything stopped working or connecting. 

This is happened again and again and after her upgrade and new phone tried to connect it did the exact same thing. 

We we all have I phone and all I can think of is something to do with an app or something on the phone that makes it different ? 

So anyway, 

when nothing would connect i had I had to disconnect the plug from the blue tooth com box that’s found in the boot under the left hand wheel arch cover. There is the amp and then the com box. 

Id pull the plug for a few mins and reconnect and then be able to connect all phones ( except my daughters ) she’s banned from Bluetooth. 

This is isn’t the definite answer or cause, but it’s just what I worked out and how I managed to get it all working again. 

Danny 

Thanks Danny. i can't locate the amp / comms box. i don't seem to haver an access panel by the left hand wheel arch cover. is it an F10 you have or a different model? i have an accessory point on the right hand wheel arch which allows me to get to the fuses, as well as an access point underneath the boot lining but it looks as though there's only the battery under that.

any help appreciated!

cheers,

Paul  

Yes. I have the f10. If I remember correctly I had to unbolt some anchor point with a torx bit. And then remove 2 or 3 plastic retainer lugs and then remove the whole inner wheel arch panel. Only takes about 3-5 mins. I ended up having to do this a few times until I found it was my daughters phone. 

The "Bluetooth Com Box" is actually the Combox and is only found on cars with the CIC Headunit. This module deals with Bluetooth, all USB connections, Telematics and GPS so I'd advise caution with unplugging it. It is all connected via the MOST bus in the car so by unplugging it you may cause module errors to be thrown. Cars built after July 2012 had the NBT headunit where the Combox functionality was built in.

Thank you all so much for your advice - it’s sorted. As with NT7650 the problem started when I connected my daughter’s phone so that got me thinking. Her phone had a special character in its name, on iPhone Settings->General->About. I removed the special character and all the phones appeared! All works fine now. 

Thanks again

548699BB-0C28-4E50-B92D-B492A547321A.jpeg

3 hours ago, Indy said:

Thank you all so much for your advice - it’s sorted. As with NT7650 the problem started when I connected my daughter’s phone so that got me thinking. Her phone had a special character in its name, on iPhone Settings->General->About. I removed the special character and all the phones appeared! All works fine now. 

Thanks again

Thanks for letting us know about this obscure find.

thanks everyone for advice and support with this issue. I refrained from unplugging the comms box and managed to get hold of my daughter's phone. it seems the daughters in our lives love an emoji and i know mine's no different so when i opened her settings i was so pleased to see a little blue love heart after her name. i removed it and repaired her phone with no issue and suddenly every other phone i've had linked also appeared in the options to select. 

i now have a fully operational car phone system after weeks of frustration.

the only thing that now i'm struggling with now is when playing music i'm unable to skip back and forth between tracks. i can live with that however if anyone else has experienced the same issue after going through the pairing issue please let me know how you managed to fix it!

thanks everyone again, most helpful.

I checked on my daughters phone and yeah, it was them emoji things. Removed them and it connected without fault. 

Usualy its my kids that contol all the music from their phones. I don’t have a say in the mater. 

But I do notice that on the I drive it will have an album photo of the song that was played a few back and hadn’t changed. Also from the steering wheel control it just displays the current song on the speedo cluster display. 

Ive never tried to change it, I’d be told off ☺️

Just wanted to add a thankful +1 to this solution. 2011 reg BMW F11, and my BT died yesterday in exactly the same manner..... when I tried pairing my daughter's phone so she could control the music. Baffled me all day until I found this. Got home, killed the emojis in the BT name (which I didn't even know where there) and suddently everything worked again. Hurrah!!!!!!!

Life without 10 year old daughters would be so much less complicated.