Angrydog

Rebuild? Partout? Scrap?

As you know Jamie, I am always honest as I wouldn't want someone to buy something from me without knowing the full facts

The fact the engine uses oil isn't an issue, just the rate. A litre to 2 or 3k I would be happy with. 

Let me put this into perspective,since ownership of my prefacelift now 11years,oil consumption is 1ltr for 400 to 600 miles,Ive lived with it & does not bother me,for sure its the oil control rings that are the problem,lift off the power & let it slow down then boot it & you get a plume of blue smoke,always remember the more oil you burn the more you have to top up,therefore probably better for rod bearings

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These beasts emit about 340g co2 so I should imagine an MOT test at idle will be fine. The oil tends to get burnt at wot and on the overrun.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

How does that affect your ability to pass MOT emissions tests, if at all ?

Never had an issue in passing an MOT due to emissions on either car... both of which were/are sub 1k miles per litre...

Meeker-huh_zps4ce0ed64.jpg

Hi AG,

Not had great luck with Carbon Black E39 M5's have you !

I hope you can/do get it looked at and get a potential improvement/fix for it !

That, or get a different colour M5 !

Cheers, Dennis!

Hey Dennis,

I have bad luck full stop lol. 

Given the money I'd get for this, the cost of another, the potential problems I could be buying, I am currently saving up to rebuild. It'll also end up supercharged so I need to make sure it is in the best health possible. 

Hi AG,

Good luck with getting everything sorted, once you do, it should be an excellent car! If you go S/C'd, then as you mention, it'll be a good base car to work upon !

Cheers, Dennis!

Indeed I would be stripping that engine apart completely before I SC it.

Could be valve stem seals? This is common isn't it?

Could also be warped bores (I had one on my second engine)

A 49k mile s62 complete went on eBay for 2k......Did anyone here get it?

On 20/06/2016 at 0:37 PM, firestorm999 said:

Indeed I would be stripping that engine apart completely before I SC it.

Could be valve stem seals? This is common isn't it?

Could also be warped bores (I had one on my second engine)

A 49k mile s62 complete went on eBay for 2k......Did anyone here get it?

Hopefully the bores will be OK, it'll get checked first. 

That engine was interesting, but no guarantees the engine was sound TBH 

What would you like to know? The engine still uses oil, but it's now laid up while I fully decide what to do. I am currently erring towards keeping it and having the engine rebuilt. The other option is a 335i and tuning it 

I think the question to ask is what will you wish that you'd done 5-10 years from now once the values of these cars have shot up as per the E30 M3 17850ish produced as opposed to 20000ish M5's

I was thinking that perhaps you might have had a chance to do a compression test or have cleaned out the oil separators but either way its worth sticking with the car long term even if you only get a few thousand miles a year out of it,

Fingers crossed for a speedy resolution

:)

17 hours ago, goosiegander said:

once the values of these cars have shot up as per the E30 M3 17850ish produced as opposed to 20000ish M5's

The E39 M5 won't shoot up in value and selling prices comparable to the E30 M3. Those that will have really high asking and selling prices will the the ultra pristine, ultra low mileage, kept totally and completely maintained and stored with evidence of servicing and parts replacement throughout storage, be in as close to oem specification as possible and be in the right sought after colour combinations and options. 

It's looking likely that within the next decade or so, the 'masses' will transition to electric/self driving cars, so the potential market will become smaller. Enthusiasts of course will still want fossil fueled cars but I can definitely see governments increases taxes, fuel prices taxes, insurance costs for running a fossil fueled car in order to 'urge' more people to switch.

Values and selling prices of 'interesting' cars based on normal road going lesser variants won't rise to big money and there'll be a handful that do which match the criteria above. 

Any modified examples will as always be much harder to sell on, those that are tastefully modified will get interest, those that are deemed to be badly modified will sit around unsold for ages if the asking price isn't dropped. 

Cheers, Dennis!

The lower oil separator pipes are possible to change without removing water pump or thermostat housing, I've done them myself! Not particularly easy but if you're ok with the spanners you can do them. Worth it to do them to get them out of the equation.  I'd be inclined to push a 'curtain wire' down the tube too, to ensure it's clear. Curtain wire is similar to a bike outer-brake-cable, but thinner, very handy as it goes round bends put you can give it a good push-just don't tell the wife you've nicked some!

I'd check all the other culprits for oil in the plenum,  you've probably done these though.

One final thing, not sure if it's a bit of an urban legend,  but I heard a story of a guy with an oil burning m5 at a meet on the States. Whilst there, some other guy asked to sit in his car and his keys were in the ignition. This other guy started the car and revved the nuts off it, whilst being stone cold. Owner was furious (I'd be!). However, after this incident, his car virtually stopped using oil! The thinking was that the rings 're-bedded' themselves to the bores and sealed better.

Story is on m5board I'm sure.

Not sure what to think of it myself, especially on an old, glazed engine but I have heard of motorbike teams who do a similar thing to new engines to get the most power out of them (ie rag it when they're new, using cheap oil), better sealing engine will give a higher compression and presumably a bit more power, cheap oil won't hinder the process as much as fully synth etc.

If you're feeling brave you could give this a try!!

1 hour ago, DennisCooper said:

The E39 M5 won't shoot up in value and selling prices comparable to the E30 M3. Those that will have really high asking and selling prices will the the ultra pristine, ultra low mileage, kept totally and completely maintained and stored with evidence of servicing and parts replacement throughout storage, be in as close to oem specification as possible and be in the right sought after colour combinations and options. 

It's looking likely that within the next decade or so, the 'masses' will transition to electric/self driving cars, so the potential market will become smaller. Enthusiasts of course will still want fossil fueled cars but I can definitely see governments increases taxes, fuel prices taxes, insurance costs for running a fossil fueled car in order to 'urge' more people to switch.

Values and selling prices of 'interesting' cars based on normal road going lesser variants won't rise to big money and there'll be a handful that do which match the criteria above. 

Any modified examples will as always be much harder to sell on, those that are tastefully modified will get interest, those that are deemed to be badly modified will sit around unsold for ages if the asking price isn't dropped. 

Cheers, Dennis!

More bollocks.....It wouldn't be so bad if you had half a clue what you were talking about, sad thin is some people think you do.

2 hours ago, 711jrp said:

More bollocks.....It wouldn't be so bad if you had half a clue what you were talking about, sad thin is some people think you do.

Hi Pete,

Lets see what happens in 5,10,15+ years time !

Cheers, Dennis!

29 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi Pete,

Lets see what happens in 5,10,15+ years time !

Cheers, Dennis!

Why bother waiting,

sheds are already creeping up in price.

5 hours ago, 711jrp said:

Oh and I don't think you'll have a clue in 5,10 or 15 years either.

You're kidding right?

edit: Actually don't tell me and risk prolonging this line of conversation. 

Edited by rbond9

Can't see brexit affecting the passion for these cars. There will always be people with money, it's about supply and demand. I can only see that stacking up more favorably as time passes. Currently I believe there are circa 2.9 trillion barrels of accessible oil left which is set to rise to a minimum of 4.8 trillion boe by 2050 due to advances in technology and identified reserves...the future is likely to be hybrid for quite some time and irrespective of this factor, passion for cars won't change, demand will not fall for these cars and access to fuel is not going to be an issue any time soon.

Garage:

2002 BMW E39 M5 Carbon Black

2014 BMW F10 520d Estate Imperial Blue