Vlady

Ticket from Smart Parking?

Anyone heard of Smart Parking.......Iv had a parking ticket for parking in Glasgow on an empty land.I didn't even know there were any rules or limitations so I did not do that in purpose.  Anyone dealt with them before?

If it was council ticket it would be I think in Scotland £30 within 14 days and I would pay it but this is private company and £60 within 14 days is a rip off imo!

Anyone dealt with them before?

Thank for any advice!

Vlady

Thanks gents, I appreciate your input. I will ignore it and hopefully I won't get a letter from court! :)

Take advice on Pepipoo, the law has changed in regards to PCNs from private companies... they can chase through the courts and some do.

FIB is not always the best way to deal with them, Pepipoo is free so use it.

Friend of mine got a ticket last year for parking in this bay, he even paid for a days parking and was displaying a valid ticket. 

He was accused of not parking in a designated bay... actually the ticket machine had been moved by a workman (some time previously - not while he was parked there.. :)  ) and relocated in the bay without the bay being de-designated...

Pepipoo provided good advice and with the aid of google street view the charge was withdrawn....

Z2JDW1wI.jpg.510bf7bdf057885ac311328ce28

Yes apparently the rules changed regarding 'parking charge notices'. Personally, despite any hype regarding rule changes, I would totally ignore anything from private parking companies and happily fight them in court if I knew I had good reason and evidence to justify and defend my case. These private companies are cash cows and unless they are dead sure that they"ll actually win their case in court, they simply won't bother. They'll send tons of letters threatening court action but will eventually just get tired and stop sending them. Key is to ignore everything and truly not even think about it twice.

As others have said, ignore it, my mother had a parking charge notice for parking too long in the local Aldi, ignored it and never even had a letter or heard anything, they tried to do my mate for parking in the same car park, they alleged he went into the car park at 8 in the morning and didn't leave until half 5 in the afternoon, thing is, he went in twice, they recorded his reg number going in the morning and leaving in the afternoon! Dodgy or what?! He also ignored it and heard nothing.

I had one in local aldi at hatfield they gave a ticket saying first saw the car at 14:00 then ticket issued at 14:00 i was at machine getting the one hour free parking ticket they tried sending letters i spoke to them and they had also changed there paying times but not updated the signs so they dropped it they never even observed the car for a period of time. no cameras just a guy sitting in a car watching when you pull in. When you go to get ticket he jumps out and slaps ticket on your car most people just pay them. Cost was about £140 which they half if you pay within 14days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/11/2016 at 8:49 AM, graham68 said:

I had one in local aldi at hatfield they gave a ticket saying first saw the car at 14:00 then ticket issued at 14:00 i was at machine getting the one hour free parking ticket they tried sending letters i spoke to them and they had also changed there paying times but not updated the signs so they dropped it they never even observed the car for a period of time. no cameras just a guy sitting in a car watching when you pull in. When you go to get ticket he jumps out and slaps ticket on your car most people just pay them. Cost was about £140 which they half if you pay within 14days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a similar incident to this at my gym, the parking warden was sat in his car watching people arrive then issuing tickets straight away, he doesn't come back anymore after getting dragged out of his car by some meathead he had just ticketed. 

Anyone who says just ignore it is giving poor advice. This used to be the norm but so many of these private parking companies are taking people to court now so save yourself the hassle and go through the correct procedure.

Lodge an appeal with POPLA, where you will get the ticked quashed 99% of the time if you do it correctly. That way you don't have to worry about receiving court letters in years to come.

23 hours ago, MFM said:

Anyone who says just ignore it is giving poor advice. This used to be the norm but so many of these private parking companies are taking people to court now so save yourself the hassle and go through the correct procedure.

Lodge an appeal with POPLA, where you will get the ticked quashed 99% of the time if you do it correctly. That way you don't have to worry about receiving court letters in years to come.

I can offer advise on the decisions I have made in the past regarding these type of tickets, I ignored them. Never heard anything from it. 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/transport/driving-and-parking/parking-tickets/parking-tickets-on-private-land/you-ve-got-a-parking-ticket-on-private-land-what-can-you-do/

I particularly like this bit

" If you get a parking ticket in a private car park and choose to ignore the ticket, a non ATA parking company isn't allowed to get details of the registered keeper of the car from the DVLA, won't have your contact details and can't take you to court. "

Thanks P3tchy and everyone for input, well, I might be taking a risk but I am ignoring that ticket but who knows, I might come home tonight and get a "gentle" reminder to pay £100! :(

19 hours ago, p3tchy said:

I can offer advise on the decisions I have made in the past regarding these type of tickets, I ignored them. Never heard anything from it. 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/transport/driving-and-parking/parking-tickets/parking-tickets-on-private-land/you-ve-got-a-parking-ticket-on-private-land-what-can-you-do/

" If you get a parking ticket in a private car park and choose to ignore the ticket, a non ATA parking company isn't allowed to get details of the registered keeper of the car from the DVLA, won't have your contact details and can't take you to court. "

Still poor advice.

20 hours ago, p3tchy said:

And Smart Parking is an ATA company !!! 

Poor advice to ignore it... but good luck, hopefully nothing will happen...

But for reference you will see Smart Parking listed....

http://www.britishparking.co.uk/Approved-Operators

I'm in the ignore camp too.. I get a lot of tickets 'cos I have to park in all kinds of odd places. Generally speaking you get three begging letters and then a pretend legal letter from their tame solicitors and then that is it.. Feck them.

2 hours ago, bm530 said:

Thanks bm530, it does make me feel better! :)

Well, I parked there only once so may be, may be I will get lucky and just learn my lesson for free this time!

Since the taking control of goods 2013 ammendment bailiff companies are struggling very bad,as the purpose of the ammendment was to minimise the use of bailiff,so to top up their work they BUYING private debt,companies like Marstons Holdings and capita are the biggest and they have High court authorised officers so getting a ccj on these debts and sending it to a high court writ.

this mainly happen if the registered keeper is a director as per company house or the car is worth something ,bearing in mind a ccj can only be transfered to a high court writ if the debt is over 600£.

We were in the past told by transport deptt to ignore these parking charge notices but now they are asking us to pay it and in most cases very strict about it if its from company called parking eye.

But than scotland is a diffrent jurisdiction .....

But surely this "debt" has to be proven before anything would even get near a high court or CCJ.

You can't just throw around accusations of "you owe me this because i say so" and expect someone to be legally able to come around and take your stuff or hand you a CCJ.

If that were the case what you're implying is any old Tom Dick or Harry could put a sign up on their house saying if you come into the garden you owe me £500 and then start sending people around to their house to have the TV off them when were politely told to Do One regarding non payment.