vanhool

Why do you drive a 5 series Bmw ?

For me my boss when I passed  my driving test drove a E34 535I sport so to me he was a driving God!

However I drove a Vauxhall astra (not cool)

When I could afford it I bought myself my first Bmw a 318I lux (E30) and that was it, I'd got the bug.

For me it's the pinnacle of driving pleasure. I just like the feel of a rwd car with shit loads of power and if I'm wrong I don't care.

Edited by DUFFY

I went from Ford Fiesta xR2i to BMW E28 because my barber back then was selling as he was immigrating to Cyprus!

I'm now on my fourth 5, and my 3rd E39 V8!

I'm on my 7th E39, I just can't fault them, this is my 3rd oil burner and probably the best equipped ever. I often take customers to site visits and never feel embarrassed turning up to collect them the way I used to in my Insignia as I know they are going to have a comfortable, quiet, smooth ride :)

I really like the e60 msport and when I came to change my jaguar I couldn't find a decent lci 335d that had the age, miles or spec of the 535d I bought and I'm glad I did (4 adult passengers is an almost daily occurrence)

I wasn't allowed a motorbike, so promised myself a Beemer once I'd reached 35. Always had German cars - and thought E39 just looked classy. Reading up, 530d seemed the pick and I bought a peach. Could not bring myself to buy another marque now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 27/05/2016 at 7:54 AM, mastacrx said:

I wouldn't say so but they are lovely to drive. That's why I still own my E39.

Even with all the niggles of my latest E39, it's been far cheaper to run than any of the other cars I've owned.

My dad had an e28 520 and then an m535 with an e36 coupe thereafter. Was smitten with the e30 m3 and devoured the road tests. For some reason I always thought I couldn't afford to run one but after binning my 205 gti I wanted something more solid. 325is where already thrashed or expensive 12 years ago so sought out my e28 m535. Longest I've owned a car and would still have it too if it weren't for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I love the engines and the engineering though not e28 steering. Had three e28s now (2 525e and the m535) an e34 525ix and two e39s (a 523ia touring and current 530d sport touring) the latter is all the car inneed day to day. In between I've had a 318i touring and m3 saloon.

Next I'm looking for a z4 to scratch an itch. Just love the marque and little else really appeals (with sensible/ realistic hat on)

I ended up in a 5 by accident really. My brother & best mate both moved 200 miles away so I was spending quite a while driving on the motorway and I wanted something a little more suited sitting at higher speeds than my Golf was. I bought an E34 525 on a whim for £1500, it needed about that again spending on it to sort it out but once it was I really fell for it. An E34 M5 followed before long which started my M5 obsession. Now I own 6 BMW's, 4 of them 5's and outside exotica I wouldn't drive anything else. 

Where else can you get poise and balance from a rear drive chassis with more cylinders than gears and a minimum of 200bhp that isn't an old mans Merc or Jag.....which are driven by lovers of Pringle and have to have a boot big enough for their golf bats.

That was my requirement when it was time to replace my beloved Vauxhall Senator 3.0i 24v CD job and went to my E39....so ok it didn't have the horse power requirement but it went round bends better than the Sennie and now my F10 has fewer cylinders than gears which is just wrong, but we'll blame the emissions laws for that one.

15 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

My dad had an e28 520 and then an m535 with an e36 coupe thereafter. Was smitten with the e30 m3 and devoured the road tests. For some reason I always thought I couldn't afford to run one but after binning my 205 gti I wanted something more solid. 325is where already thrashed or expensive 12 years ago so sought out my e28 m535. Longest I've owned a car and would still have it too if it weren't for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I love the engines and the engineering though not e28 steering. Had three e28s now (2 525e and the m535) an e34 525ix and two e39s (a 523ia touring and current 530d sport touring) the latter is all the car inneed day to day. In between I've had a 318i touring and m3 saloon.

Next I'm looking for a z4 to scratch an itch. Just love the marque and little else really appeals (with sensible/ realistic hat on)

Don't cross an e39 m5 off your list Duncan

On 27 May 2016 at 8:36 PM, Wabby said:

I drive a 5 because I was in the Lakes in my 330cd and saw a 535d and got a hard on .....

Two weeks later, and the 5 arrived. lol ;)

This is brilliant. The main reason i got my first bmw all those years ago

Don't cross an e39 m5 off your list Duncan

I hadn't but I think it would be too similar to the 530d in terms of how I use a car but without the practicality of the touring shell which I need and so I wouldn't really use it often enough. Z4 ticks enough other boxes to get some use.