goosiegander

E34 535i Sport

23 posts in this topic

Hi All,

 

As some of you are already aware I recently took delivery of a 535i Sport Auto in Diamond Schwartz with some nice options

 

Unfortunately at some point in the past the electric leather was swapped out for manual but no matter, Steven still has the Liquidken grey Memory leather which will be recoloured and reconditioned to suit.

 

So some pictures of the last decade of grime and vegetation.

 IMG_1413_zps1ssqs2wb.jpg

 

IMG_1414_zpsirxycd1e.jpg

 

IMG_1415_zpsfldjjxgc.jpg

 

IMG_1416_zpsvyugimvg.jpg

 

IMG_1417_zps3xtpvzzi.jpg

 

IMG_1418_zpsu6y5jw4b.jpg

 

IMG_1420_zpsljll4c7c.jpg

 

IMG_1423_zps640tfpgz.jpg

 

IMG_1431_zpsxyw1vyfu.jpg

 

Which was tackled in the usual manner...

IMG_1435_zpskkdlfzpy.jpg

 

IMG_1436_zpsxxjm3e56.jpg

 

IMG_1437_zps5mrlp7vp.jpg

 

IMG_1438_zpsaps9y1gn.jpg

 

Leaving this...

 IMG_1443_zpssr1xcagg.jpg

 

IMG_1442_zps4d8vllfx.jpg

 

IMG_1441_zpsr7hgheck.jpg

 

 

 

Placed a battery on and the engine cranks over just fine, decanted the interior and boot, had a cursory scrub/hoover and took stock of what’s missing and in need of attention.

 IMG_1452_zps0c534qum.jpg

 

IMG_1453_zpsbmr2kcqb.jpg

 

IMG_1462_zpsoifbxmje.jpg

 

IMG_1468_zpsqhm5fxga.jpg

 

IMG_1477_zps3qwr6zy4.jpg

 

So the jobs list I can see so far:

 

Purchase:

Source B35 Air flow meter

Source steering column surround

Source 95aH Battery

Source front sill section repair panel drivers side and jacking reinforcement

Source Manual conversion kit – Tims to the rescue!

Order Front bumper tow eye cover – Ordered

Replace front Screen

Replace headlining

Replace Door body seals

Replace dash – Slightly warped...

 

Servicing:

Inspect Engine valve clearances

Inspect Engine compression values

Inspect oil spray bar and clean

Change oil, flush and replace

Add coolant to system and bleed

Free off sunroof track cables and lubricate – remove headlining and heat gun the tubes???

Inspect Aircon system- this was converted to R134a in the past but no doubt at least some of the seals are now shot after a decade of inactivity...

Function test Fuel pump and supply, replace or flush through fuel system

 

All input welcome :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking forward to this one.

 

A couple on your list match my own.

 

Will you do the entire list yourself?  ie manual conversion, welding....

goosiegander likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing what a quick scrub will do to a car; there's an E32 in Ripley with even more moss on than that and its t&t and driven every day.

 

Good luck with the project.

 

goosiegander likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great looking machine after a good scrub but I would say that. Liking the Black Dash & Door Tops against the Parchment leather too.

 

What's the plan, restore and keep or are you moving it on? Needs some early Sport 415's for the full monty look. ;)

 

C.

goosiegander likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's amazing what a good clean can do! Looks good, I do love black E34s :)

 

I agree with @cableguy, the contrast interior looks very nice. This now makes me want to lift out all my seats for a good cleaning though... :ph34r:

Carl-e34 and goosiegander like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work. In the same boat as you with trying to get it back on the road. WIll follow with interest

goosiegander likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic. I love how all these are starting to come out of the woodwork now.

 

Very similar car to mine. I converted to manual about 4 years ago, please get in touch if you want to pick my brain. There are a couple of oddities that I never got round to sorting at the time (reverse lights, dash errors) that I've since done a lot of research into. I also fitted a solid flywheel / clutch combo mongrel of E12/28 parts that works nicely.

 

Also, and unrelated, I can never get snow foam to work very well - to the point where I can't believe it can work as well as you have just demonstrated. I have a 105Bar Nilfisk machine, the proper brass adjustable lance thing (expensive) and the Valet Pro goop that everyone seems to say is the right stuff. It just never seems to lift any dirt. What am I doing wrong?

 

Casual thread hijack. :)

goosiegander likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TomGC said:

Fantastic. I love how all these are starting to come out of the woodwork now.

 

Very similar car to mine. I converted to manual about 4 years ago, please get in touch if you want to pick my brain. There are a couple of oddities that I never got round to sorting at the time (reverse lights, dash errors) that I've since done a lot of research into. I also fitted a solid flywheel / clutch combo mongrel of E12/28 parts that works nicely.

 

Also, and unrelated, I can never get snow foam to work very well - to the point where I can't believe it can work as well as you have just demonstrated. I have a 105Bar Nilfisk machine, the proper brass adjustable lance thing (expensive) and the Valet Pro goop that everyone seems to say is the right stuff. It just never seems to lift any dirt. What am I doing wrong?

 

Casual thread hijack. :)

Hi Tom,

 

Valet pro foam is ok I guess, I'm using Dodo juice apple foam and find it to be very good at the correct dilution,

 

are you getting a reasonable 'cling' of foam on the car? if not adjust your lance accordingly.

 

Remember to allow a dwell time of about 10 minutes depending on the environmental conditions and if you don't get the result you want the first time simply repeat the process as many times as you need.

 

the 535 had three and in some areas 4 applications of foam followed by rinsing before contact washing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Hogie said:

I'm looking forward to this one.

 

A couple on your list match my own.

 

Will you do the entire list yourself?  ie manual conversion, welding....

Hey!

I'm planning on doing some welding and the manual conversion if poss, its more about being able to get under and around the car so will need a ramp ideally...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, goosiegander said:

Hi Tom,

 

Valet pro foam is ok I guess, I'm using Dodo juice apple foam and find it to be very good at the correct dilution,

 

are you getting a reasonable 'cling' of foam on the car? if not adjust your lance accordingly.

 

Remember to allow a dwell time of about 10 minutes depending on the environmental conditions and if you don't get the result you want the first time simply repeat the process as many times as you need.

 

the 535 had three and in some areas 4 applications of foam followed by rinsing before contact washing 

 

Thanks for that. It looks like foam (very thick) and it clings pretty well straight out the gun, although it's all gone after 10 minutes. I usually wash it off before that though because I don't like the idea of it drying on. Never tried more than one application. I'll have a play with dilution rates. Strangely the forum won't let me upload a picture, mine looks thicker than yours, but also sloppier. (Waay.)

 

If you need a lift and are lacking in excess floor space / ceiling height, have you seen these?

goosiegander likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks awesome! More pics pls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loving this. Where did you get the sills repaired? And how much did it cost, if you mind sharing?

 

I need to get mine sorted, would be good to know a decent place...

goosiegander likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Blackman said:

Loving this. Where did you get the sills repaired? And how much did it cost, if you mind sharing?

 

I need to get mine sorted, would be good to know a decent place...

Still waiting on the invoice

 

its Spot on Tuning in Eye, there is a FB page :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely car!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now