ttrw2

Rust - e60 vs e39?

Morning chaps,

We all know the common problems with e39s - brake lines, sills, tailgates/boots (and the panel below them). Now that some e60 and e61 are over ten years old, how do they compare?

I've done a fair bit of searching and there is sporadic comments on rusty tailgates on the Tourings, but can't find any real owner experience.

Cheers,
Rob

2 hours ago, p3tchy said:

Galvanized metal so it shouldn't rust unless it's been in an accident. Alot of the front is aluminium as well. 

Cheers for the reply. Got any links about the galvanising? I can't find anything on Google.

I found a bit about the front substructure being ally, will have to test the body panels with a magnet on a mates e60.

Any owners on here with 04/05 cars got any corrosion to report?

48 minutes ago, ttrw2 said:

Any owners on here with 04/05 cars got any corrosion to report?

None anywhere on mine - 176k miles, 04 plate. Plenty of flaking lacquer on the bumper though (stone damage and pressure washers?), and mazak corrosion on the driver's mirror mount. But rust? Nope. Runs beautifully too.

not a single spot on my bodywork, underneath is pretty fresh looking too.

had an advisory at mot a couple year ago for break pipes at rear starting to rust so I changed them all out, figured with the undertrays collecting water theyd definitely need doing sometime

Still can't understand manufacturers using steel brake pipes, galvanised or not. I always replace mine with copper and never had any issues.

Brake pipes are classed as consumable items on BMW's aren't they?!? I've seen underneath a fair few E60's and they seem to be holding up very well. Some are suffering with light surface corrosion around the rear subframe mounts but nothing I'd be overly concerned about. I've yet to see rusty sills or any body rust that wasn't caused by poorly repaired accident damage. 

Edited by LukeH

My E60 was nearly 12 years old when we parted company in Feb this year. The morning came when it was going and I washed it.  Not a sign of any body corrosion front or rear.

Front panels are aluminium, there is a plaque under the bonnet to tell you this I think.  Rear panels are steel in an effort to get to near 50/50 weight distribution.

The only thing that rusted on my last E60 were the brake lines....replaced with copper at 10 years old and the front lower suspension arm balljoint threads.

Hopefully the F10 will be rot free but they have steel front ends as the ally front ends on the E60 are expensive to repair if in a shunt.

The E60 and E90 represented a major step forward. Badly repaired damage apart I have never seen a rusty one - just some rust in the seams underneath on early ones. Brake pipes always rust - but my 1989 E32 still has all the original factory steel pipes. Regular greasing helped though.

2 years on, and e60s now 2 years older - any signs of rust on e60s?

I've just had commit my 2001/17 year old e39 M5 to surgery to replace a rusty sill.

Worry not! They've managed to get many (if not all) doors on the f10 to corrode nicely from under the paintwork next to the trim, and then wriggle very vigorously when claims are made on the anti-corrosion warranty... 

On 6/7/2018 at 12:12 PM, ttrw2 said:

2 years on, and e60s now 2 years older - any signs of rust on e60s?

I've just had commit my 2001/17 year old e39 M5 to surgery to replace a rusty sill.

Still none on mine - now got 227,000 on the clock too.

9 minutes ago, e60neindanke said:

Still none on mine - now got 227,000 on the clock too.

The secret is not to wash it. The F boyz wash theirs more than a babies bottom.

1 hour ago, jake13 said:

The secret is not to wash it. The F boyz wash theirs more than a babies bottom.

Funnily enough... I don't. Haven't washed it for something like six months now, other than wiping the lights in the winter.

Well, I washed it today and I did indeed find some rust. It's along the edges of the boot lid, and oddly, inside the boot lid where it's over the rear lights. None elsewhere outside.

On 6/17/2018 at 3:15 PM, e60neindanke said:

Well, I washed it today and I did indeed find some rust. It's along the edges of the boot lid, and oddly, inside the boot lid where it's over the rear lights. None elsewhere outside.

There's a tiny bit starting to show on mine there around the rubber handle inside the boot lip. Put some treatment on it and will keep an eye on it. If it gets too bad it's an excuse to buy the CSL style carbon boot lid for it :lol: