Piper

I have a new 2 Series

14 posts in this topic

Not really, I just wanted to have the first post in the new 2 Series section!

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 7:20 PM, Piper said:

Not really, I just wanted to have the first post in the new 2 Series section!

:D:rolleyes:

I regularly see a 2 Series Tourer in the morning being driven by a security person at the local construction site.  

They have no concept of speed limits and no concept of following at a safe distance

Edited by 535iAR

3 minutes ago, 535iAR said:

I regularly see a 2 Series Tourer in the morning being driven by a security person at the local construction site.  

They have no concept of speed limits and no concept of following at a safe distance.  

Are you sure it is the cars fault ;-)

No but it sums up someone who goes out to buy a 2 Series Tourer!

I've seen 4 mibbies......

I saw one of these sorry shitboxes recently, white with MOTORWAY MAINTENANCE' stickers on it. I remarked to myself how upmarket and prestigious it looked, a fitting ambassador for the midrange mass market brand.

They're talking about making cheap kitchen appliances soon, outsourced to China. Why not - it's all money.

Well my wife got an active tourer 2 years ago now. At least its a BMW she's got. Its actually an OK place to be, its comfortable, surprisingly nippy, and most important, her golf clubs go in the back just fine. The fact that its only 463mm shorter than my touring doesnt seem to register.

However in 15000 miles its had a new engine, front brake faults, drivers window off its guides, and reverse camera failed - all fixed under wannanty

1 hour ago, healeyneil said:

Well my wife got an active tourer 2 years ago now. At least its a BMW she's got. Its actually an OK place to be, its comfortable, surprisingly nippy, and most important, her golf clubs go in the back just fine. The fact that its only 463mm shorter than my touring doesnt seem to register.

However in 15000 miles its had a new engine, front brake faults, drivers window off its guides, and reverse camera failed - all fixed under wannanty

Which engine is it that had to be replaced and any reason for it. Thanks

It's the 1500 turbo engine. Only symptom was a colicky clutch. I thought it was the release bearing. When it went in the dealer said the crankshaft was moving back and forth, so I assume the thrust washers were to blame.

i should add, that in 40 years of driving, she's never needed a clutch re placed

hamish262001 likes this

Seeing as how you are in a Glasgow, yours was probably one of the four I had seen.

On 09/06/2016 at 8:53 AM, 535iAR said:

I've seen 4 mibbies......

Not Mine !!. I take no responsibility for my wifes cars ! Having said that, I dont understand all the hate for it. Is it any worse than the X1 or is it the X3 that looks almost the same

On 12 May 2017 at 7:50 PM, healeyneil said:

I dont understand all the hate for it. Is it any worse than the X1 or is it the X3 that looks almost the same

Because it's not what BMW should be making. Leave that sort of thing to Ford, Kia etc. I daresay the latter would have been both considerably cheaper and rather more reliable.

The engine (also fitted to the Mini) has a track record for thrust washers wearing and dropping out causing massive crank end float. The other problems are common enough but check the seat runners for rust as they're prone to that too.

The new X1 is an overpriced heap of shit as well, a very average car with shocking road noise, awful steering (directional stability is atrocious) and a standard of build no better than Vauxhall with some very poor plastics. All for twice the price of a Quashquaii, bargain. :rolleyes:

The X3 isn't a bad car - it's a proper RWD BMW converted to 4WD in the proper manner and it drives well as well as being built to a good standard. It's due to be replaced but you can guarantee the new one won't be as good. Like the G30 it will be laden with stupid electronic crap you don't need and which just makes life harder.