Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jamesthefirst

Any coding experts in Scotland?

9 posts in this topic

I've just purchased a towbar and dedicated wiring kit for my 2015 lci f30 3 series. Apparently it only requires coding to disable the rear pdc when towbar is in use, anybody on here able to do this for me?

Just remember if its a small trailer you are towing, you may need a fog light fitted to the trailer so the car knows its got a trailer hitched up.  All the car does is search for the resistance of a 21W fog bulb to tell it that a trailer is hitched up.  Once it detects the resistance of this bulb it will self cancel the PDC and alter the traction control settings etc.  If you don't have a fog light on your trailer the car will not recognise that it is towing and not cancel the rear PDC

Do the trailer lights work when hooked up to your car?

What make of electrics did you fit?  If its Westfalia (OEM) it shouldn't need coding to work nor coding to cancel out the rear parking sensors, but if you read the Westfalia bumpf it will tell you that you need a fog light on the towed item for all the electrics to work properly.

If the trailer lights do work you can just switch off your PDC when reversing, that's what I did on my E60.  I fitted a Westfalia removeable towbar and made up my own electrics using a bypass relay, the only thing was I had to switch off the PDC when reversing otherwise it just beeped as it detected your trailer.  But that is old skool compared to the F10/F30 models now.

Its just for a bike rack and that doesn't have a fog light. If I try to turn fog lights on with it attached I get a message saying fog light fault so it seems to work properly and recognise when the towbar is in use. Its just that I can't switch off pdc ( rear pdc only so no button to disable) and its a nuisance. I'll bite the bullet and take it to an Indy to have the coding done, apparently autologic sorts it in minutes

Edit: it was a westfalia dedicated loom and the instructions said coding only required if I wanted pdc disabled 

Edited by Jamesthefirst

14 hours ago, Jamesthefirst said:

Edit: it was a westfalia dedicated loom and the instructions said coding only required if I wanted pdc disabled 

I think that is the key.  I have the Westfalia wiring instructions for the one I fitted to my dads F10 on my pc at work. I'm trying to remember but I think you are right, single PDC may mean coding.  The Westfalia loom fits all BMWs from a certain point. 

So it also know you don't have a fog light fitted, that will be because it can't detect the resistance of said bulb.

Jamesthefirst likes this

On 25/10/2016 at 10:44 PM, GT said:

A bit late but I can do this for you in future

my mobile is 07770995381

I'm based in Inverclyde but can travel

Hi - based in Motherwell and looking for someone to help code mirrors to close with key fob on my 2007 LCI M5 and anything else worth doing.  Can you help or direct me to where I would be able to do this ? cheers