Lennox

Amazing dilemma - Nissan GTR replacement

So as the title asks, what do you replace a 2010 Nissan GTR with???

Not me but a good friend is trying to work out what to replace his 5 year old daily driver, that he's had since new. We were at the local dealer reveal of the 2017 GTR, that's the default purchase but I threw in the 2016 Audi RS6 as a potential option and his head is turning.

So?

budget of up to £85k doesn't need to be practical (has a Tesla for that) and under warranty beneficial...

Not sure if it will be brutal enough but I quite like the 911 (991) carrera 4 GTS, although not sure if he will find one for £85k? As the 991 was the last normally aspirated porker it may well hold its value though so may be worth the extra investment. Alternatively he could look at a BMW I8. Performance may not be epic enough, but it does look good.

£85k? Too rich for my blood! I'm a saddo but would be thinking Aston or maybe Italian exotica rather than something straight out of Fast 'n Furious. 

Appreciate its not answering the question but I'd have 3 or 4 cars for that budget.

Bang for buck I reckon you'll have a job bettering the gtr but I'd probably take something a bit more soulful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daily Driver needs to be reliable and he obviously likes power if used to the GTR.

Audi RS6 is a cracker with plenty of tuning potential.

Porsche 991GTS is a great car but stretch your budget a little and a Turbo or Turbo S would be a big jump in performance terms.

Mercedes E63 or one of the many other AMG models may suit. Speak with bm530 as he has recently bought one.

BMW M3/M4/M5/M6/M6GC, all very quick and within budget depending on preference.

Jaguar F Type R Coupe or XF R, great engines, look superb and can be a hooligan when required.

Alternatively if he's kept the GTR for five years he obviously likes the car. Buy a new one in a different colour and spec and away you go... ;)

C.

Thanks guys so here were my initial suggestions, think you got them all....

Rs6

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201601290533874

911 C4S PDK aero cup

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201603242290500

Bmw i8

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201512119379797

Aston Martin Rapid

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201603212183921

C63 AMG 608bhp

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201604082765241

The GTR fraternity up in Scotland is quite a tight knit group so we have been speaking to some of the owners that modify their cars and although he has done some light tuning (Y pipe, brakes etc) he's will buy new rather than heavily modify. It's less about having a very Fast car for him, more having a very technically and dynamically interesting car.

I honestly see him just buying another one but he wants to be sure he's not blinkered. We have discussed this at length over the past few years and the only step up would be a Lexus LFA but they are WAY out of budget

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201603292416990

He loves his wife's Tesla so I have even suggested a nearly new Insane mode car...

Because Bmw have failed again by forgetting to make an M5 touring my personal choice would be between the beautiful, practical and bloody fast RS6 avant or a s/h V8 F type coupe which is a thing of magnificence.

M6 GC is a great thing..

Personally if I was spending that I would have an F type coupe 5.0 supercharger

911 as always ok as a buy, because the fanboys love em.. I'm not convinced with em. Driven loads and although they are a fine car, I cannot see the money in them.. 

The RS6 is an awesome thing... A big barge none the less 

You mention "technically and dynamically interesting car", this would mean only one car for me, Porsche 911/991.

I'm in the opposite camp to alpinaman and think the 2 wheel drive car is one of the finest handling cars available. 911's have been the performance benchmark for decades and still are, the reason being their all round ability.

I do agree with alpinaman on the Jaguar F Type R Coupe though. Stunning to look at with performance and sound to match. :cool:

C.

MFM did you read the first post? This is his Daily Driver... A LHD Yank Tank with too much power for their chassis' is hardly going to work in Scotland very well!

C.

7 minutes ago, cableguy said:

MFM did you read the first post? This is his Daily Driver... A LHD Yank Tank with too much power for their chassis' is hardly going to work in Scotland very well!

C.

Yes I did. It seems you didn't.

It states, "doesn't need to be practical", so not sure what point you're trying to make?

Don't get me wrong.. I think the 911 of all era's handle well..

it it should do... It's a small rear engined car with little overhangs and huge tyres,anything that uses that recipe gets a car that will go around a corner..

imho the Cayman and boxster are both better to get down a road... Stunning really, so neutral and confidence inspiring..

What cheeses me off about Porsche as a brand is that they never really bring anything to the table, nothing new, no manufacturing firsts...

Just alter the headlights, swage lines and then rip off everyone else's tech..

Not to mention the while debacle of the crap engines that they pumped out for 12 years or so with crazy design faults...

The DFI has been a lot better for them, even though family cars had direct injection engined in then 12/14 years before...

Agree on the mid engine cars as the drive and balance makes them a joy to hustle down the road.

Re the 911, I think Porsche's philosophy is "If it ain't broke then don't fix it". It's still an engineering marvel that has stood for many years. Engineering firsts maybe not but they are using some great technology now like RWS, Variable Vane Turbo's etc.

C.

9 minutes ago, cableguy said:

And I took the practical as no rear seats or carrying capacity. Do you get MY point?

C.

No I don't I'm afraid.

Yea fair enough..

I can't agree to the engineering marvel but ... Ha ha..

RWS and VNT have been around 20 years maybe more ... Lol

anyway... That's enough of the Porsche hating..I'm waiting for Tony to come on and call my a hypocrite as I have owned 3 x 911's...

We are heading out on Saturday to have a look. I have also thrown in an M4 just for good measure. Might try to set up some test drives with an old colleague at the local Bentley/McLaren garage. Will update when I have something...

My mate might be selling his I8 if your interested you can knock people down without them knowing.  I've got another one selling a V8 R8...  they know when your coming with that one.

Myself id get an old interceptor and spend 30k on it fitting an M5 engine and running gear...  Then get the interior re-trimmed with a banging stereo system. Similar to this...

Jenson R - 150 to 180k