Sign in to follow this  
jords80

Cold start/tick over problem

Hi all, 

I am new to the site having just got my 1981 e12 (520i south african version).

It runs well and always starts first time but will continually stall unless given a small amount of revs until it is completely warmed up - then it is fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Jordan 

20151014_133451.jpg

First, replace all vacuum pipes, including the ones under the inlet manifold, even if they look ok. Car looks lovely & clean by the way 

Edited by JAM172

I'd go for the aux air valve, aka as the bypass slide valve. 

If you look through it when cold, the disc should be open to allow more air to bypass the throttle disc. The disc would gradually close the port as the engine warms up. This is achieved by a bi metallic Spring it the housing.

Not sure exactly what motor you have, but if Bosch L jetronic, this is likely the cause.

great, thanks for the suggestions - gives me something to go on. Yes, it does have a Bosch Jetronic system. As a very late e12 and a South African version, am I right in saying the engine is an e28 version?

It is clean enough generally, unfortunately the bonnet is knackered but luckily the guy I bought it off had a spare so will get that sorted. Otherwise has a few rust spots around the car which I want to get seen to. Because of these it could really do with a whole respray but will have to see about that. Does anyone know a good bodyshop in Suffolk/North Essex which could do this??

One other issue was with the dash originally in that the speedo didn't work - I replaced the circuit board as the battery had corroded the original and it now works - the only problem is I couldn't get the leads back into their plugs for the instrument lights to come on when the headlights are on - just impossible to get them in....any ideas on this?