Sign in to follow this  
DUFFY

Working away from home sucks!

I've just returned home from two weeks away working, stopping in a basic travel lodge with a view of a brick wall and doing silly hours trying to get finished on time.

It's so utterly soul destroying I've concluded there is more to life than money.

Never before or again!!!

I used to work away a lot! 

I was younger and had no ties so it wasn't that bad! But still....

so change of company and I didn't work away again! 

But if you can earn money whilst staying at home then it's a win win! ;) 

I used to be all over the place then it all changed with a company wide clamp down on travel especially flights

I have just stopped working from home after doing that for 10 years with EDS then HP

I actually enjoy my latest commute to my current client

WFH today though only prmies have to travel on Fridays before bank holidays and brave the loons setting off pulling sheds.

Edited by Alexak

Worked away for three years, came home for 1 week every 6 months.  Hated it, but it was the only job I could find during the recession.

Worked for EDS and then HP myself.  Courts, Quantum and then Middle East (Qatar). 

Stepped away from public sector work and now have a nice easy 35 hour week working from an office 15 miles away and working from home when I need to.  There is absolutely more to life than chasing the dollar.

I was Aon, Aviva then Rolls Royce. Were you in the old DSMC in Peterlee before it was given to those idiots offshore?

Duffy having travelled a lot on business I can honestly say Premier Inn beats Travel Splodge hands down every time if you have to choose from the bottom end of the market for a one nighter.

My only exception to that rule is the Travel Splodge in Harrow place near Liverpool Street that was just to close to Client Co too ignore like as in beers all night then fall out of bed and straight into their office.:)

On a quiet road as well 

My preference in cities is the nearest Novotel or Hilton but where poss I look to the outskirts Private Hotels and Golf clubs with rooms are often good value and quiet,

Quiet being very important in my books.

I used to be all over the place then it all changed with a company wide clamp down on travel especially flights

I have just stopped working from home after doing that for 10 years with EDS then HP

I actually enjoy my latest commute to my current client

WFH today though only prmies have to travel on Fridays before bank holidays and brave the loons setting off pulling sheds.

I worked for EDS too for a while. Strange company....

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Alexak said:

I was Aon, Aviva then Rolls Royce. Were you in the old DSMC in Peterlee before it was given to those idiots offshore?

I was indeed.  We lost Courts to Atos Origin who proceeded to make a total pigs ear of it.  Quantum for a while and then the option of the ME came up.  I enjoyed working there, some good people, but the Mark Hurd era soured it for me and I'll never go back.

Whilst I appreciate that money does come in to the equation for most when staying away, I'm a firm believer and advocate that the level of comfort a hotel offers should be at least on par with your home comforts.

Plenty of deals and choice on the internet. 4 or 5 Star all the way I say... ;)

C.

I did 10 years of the red eye from Glasgow to London working for the big banks then for the big 4. I'm walked away from an offer of path to a partner, to have kids. Best move ever!!

With a 21 month old and another one due towards the end of the year I don't regret it.

You need to do these roles at time to get the experience, get the CV, get the recognition. Then for a while you can kick back and enjoy life with the family. I now see my daughter most mornings, and for hours in the evening. It's irreplaceable.

But longer term I can see me going back on the hunt for partner. Feed off people that are who I was. I love my career and self actualisation may require some sacrifice but I know realise it just a job and my family is all I really need.