mumbojumbo

E34 535i Sport

37 posts in this topic

So progress is extremely slow, but moving along. I've now got the whole front suspension / steering / subframe assembly off and am quite painstakingly grinding off rust, degreasing and POR15'ing all the components. As i'm going along i'm then rebuilding it to get it to a rolling chassis stage to send for rust repair and a respray. 

To that end a key purchase in Q1 was a decent engine crane. Also managed to rebuild the Left hand leg, apart from some new springs i need + bolts, spring pads etc. 

5as0vp.jpg

15yamvk.jpg

and a little resto on the bumper shocks

2iuoxeb.jpg

11r6tee.jpg

Also continued stripping down the engine ancilliaries ahead of lifting it out. A mouse had made a home under the inlet manifold. Also quite worryingly when i drained the oil the first 5 or 6 seconds of flow was clear water... Guess an engine rebuild was always on the cards. 

30dl3qv.jpg

Plan for Q2 is to complete the rebuild of the front subframe assembly / steering and shocks. 

RingsideE34, Carl-e34 and TomGC like this

Excellent work, especially on those struts! Great to see.

Don't worry about making slow progress as you're miles ahead of me. Just don't pull out too much of a lead, as I'd like a picture of them together at some point before I retire. 

great idea. I think circa 2022 i should be done 

urquattro and TomGC like this

12 hours ago, mumbojumbo said:

great idea. I think circa 2022 i should be done 

Be worth £30k by then!

Sorry for the radio silence. Been a little busy getting married. Was lucky enough to use this on the special day...

2hdbmee.jpg

On top of a load of other weddings and stag do's, including some of this

2hwns7n.jpg

No that my finances are improving post nuptuals i have been able to buy some bits to get to a rolling chassis stage. That  includes a set of Eibach springs, new front hubs/ bearings, Top mouonts and a load of other bits from BMW. I was looking forward to doing a 'whats in the box' pic but then Eibach are on back order from Germany for 3 weeks, So decided to crack on with dropping the engine out.  

I've also dropped out both rear hubs / shocks etc. 

midhqa.jpg

mhsvit.jpg

Thanks

RingsideE34 likes this

Incredibly slow progress while i wait for the springs...

30htxk7.jpg

Also managed to get the rear subframe out from beneath. With the LSD still attached its not the lightest car part in the world. The LSD is clearly leaking so will need to find someone to rebuild it. 

2v332x0.jpg

And also invested in one of these for the subframe bushes...

kf1mh1.jpg

With the subframe out i have a clear view of the fuel lines which are well rotten. Brake lines look fine. 

Re the rust, had a bit of carpet lifting action and the rust penetrates the front footwells along the sill for about 5 inches on either side. To help here i'm slowly buying BMW panels to help the welder, now have a complete drivers side inner sill in the loft...

Also sent the power steering box off to ICS in Birmingham to rebuild. I've been quoted circa £250 + VAT

Finally built up the engine stand. Just need to get the clutch and flywheel off and will be able to start work on the engine. 

Thx 

Edited by mumbojumbo
RingsideE34 likes this

Springs finally arrived after a month of back order. 

mcf9xv.jpg

The entire car is staying OEM bar the springs, i was hoping for around a 20mm drop but these look a lot more than that. Will have to see how it looks and decide. 

x5duvq.jpg

I was hoping to build up the front suspension but BMW parts are a little slow to arrive so will have to wait for Saturday. 

The rest of day i spent removing the fuel lines. I already have 2 of the 3 lines needed that i ordered from BMW, they pretty much crumbled in my hands. I am one bolt away from dropping out the fuel tank. Needed to dremel off a bold but with all the petrol leaking everywhere decided to hold off, let it evaporate during the week and revisit next weekend. 

347jx1k.jpg

n2coc3.jpg

Also did some housekeeping, Engine is now on the stand, Gearbox and LSD to one side ready to be sent off for a rebuild etc

1zbc7ly.jpg

Thx

d_a_n1979 likes this