Mazi

B10 v8s Misfire

Just got back after being abroad for a few months and took the Alpina for a spin and it runs like shit.

Seems to have a misfire with popping from the exhaust for added effect. Anyway after driving for a mile or so the engine management light came on.

Plugged in and got the following codes

140- ELECTRONIC THERMOSTAT CONTROL

115-HOT FILM- MASS AIR SENSOR

27-MULTIPLE FUEL TRIM 2, LIMIT REACHED

26-MULTIPLE FUEL TRIM 1, LIMIT REACHED

Disconnected MAF and it ran even worse.

Any ideas???

I thought so but should removing the MAF not improve things?

Will an M5 MAF fit?

Always worth a gentle clean with electrical cleaner spray,once it off the car, if cleaning the thin element take care with childs very soft paintbrush - it may well clean up and restore the signal etc.

not sure if M5 or 540 will function properly either, maybe Alpina version had different settings ?? also yours is a V8S and beyond my V8 in terms of different equipment in some places.

hth

Edited by urquattro

Why would it run better with the MAF unplugged! This tells the engine the volume of air entering the engine and fueling is done accordingly. When they "fail" the sensor is covered in shit basically from all the crap air/oil etc the engine is breathing in over the years. The grime build up leads to the sensor giving a false reading often letting the engine run lean and worse when they get really bad.

looking through my alpina catalogue both V8 alpinas use the stock 540i MAF. The M5 uses two mafs where as the 540 and alpinas cracks on with the one. 

Unless its been replaced recently you defo won't be hurting it, the maf is important to the engines health and power production and often overlooked in old age  

Hi, have you got a part no.? Was it just a normal 540 one?

i would like to change mine. When I had the m5 I changed both, and the difference was amazing! So much better throttle response. 

13 hours ago, ///Max said:

Hi, have you got a part no.? Was it just a normal 540 one?

i would like to change mine. When I had the m5 I changed both, and the difference was amazing! So much better throttle response. 

Bosch part number from my 540/Alpina B10 spare 0280 217 814  also 1 433 567, both numbers from maf body not invoice etc.

hth