s1mon

E34

Well, after selling my old grey E34 B10 project a couple of years I knew within a few months I had made a mistake, and promised myself another one when the opportunity came up. Anyway, that seems to have been today !!

Another blind ebay purchase, but one that I intend on keeping this time round. Looking forward to getting it back on the road, and having some fun in it !!

Project thread, hear we come !!....

Edited by s1mon

Great buy s1mon and plenty of scope for a thread and the improvements I know you will see through, I am rather keen on Alpina versions and just plan a modest E34 slim down.

K

Thanks Keith, to be honest - It is not really the right time for me to be taking on another project, due to other commitments, but you know what it's like; when they come up you have to grab them ! - Just going to sell the old Lancia Delta, so that's one down !!

Great find and save. Did you take the Manual bits advertised for a conversion?

Not sure if interested but I may have a genuine B10 3.5 Alpina Front Bumper. I intended putting it on my 535i/5 Sport but I'm now in two minds whether to leave the car original... The Bumper is currently at my bodyshop prepped ready for primer.

Any details & pics of your 993?

C.

Hi mate,

Cheers, no I did not take the gearbox - tbh auto suits me better as my wife only has an auto license, plus I want to keep it original so decided the conversion was not viable for me.

Front bumper sounds interesting ! Has it the Alpina splitter? Can you PM me some details / photos / price please?

hopefully photo of Porsche attached (currently on phone) if not will upload later on

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Had the pleasure of borrowing my brother in laws 911 a few times 10  odd years ago. Really like them but rubbish heater iirc and looking for the fuel cap release was an embarrassing few minutes in a busy petrol station....

Yes the fuel flap caught me out when I first bought it !!

notnsure about the heater, mine is brilliant, works within a couple of minutes of cold start... 

16 minutes ago, s1mon said:

Yes the fuel flap caught me out when I first bought it !!

notnsure about the heater, mine is brilliant, works within a couple of minutes of cold start... 

It was the demist bit i couldn't get right - possibly just me.

Porsche looks great. I've recently bought myself one, a 993C2 Manual Coupe which has just had a full suspension refresh and is currently in for service, cam covers, rear chassis rail restoration etc.  This will be my third 911 now and hopefully i'll keep this one... ;)

I'll get some pics of the full bumper and genuine Alpina Splitter when I'm down the bodyshop next.

Good luck with the project.

C.

28 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Not telling so you can share our pain :P

ha ha ..infact i am not going to even google it :) . If i get a shot of one i will i will be manly and throw caution to the wind ..wil tell you how long it takes me to work out..

i remember buying a Renault Fuego and couldnt work out how to get into the boot at tesco ...weeks shopping in front and rear seats that day

Edited by The Flying Banana

42 minutes ago, cableguy said:

Porsche looks great. I've recently bought myself one, a 993C2 Manual Coupe which has just had a full suspension refresh and is currently in for service, cam covers, rear chassis rail restoration etc.  This will be my third 911 now and hopefully i'll keep this one... ;)

I'll get some pics of the full bumper and genuine Alpina Splitter when I'm down the bodyshop next.

Good luck with the project.

C.

Thanks mate,

same spec as mine by the sounds of it, I had the bodywork and chassis legs done at Precision last year, they are bloody addictive cars !!

I've gone back to cup 2'alloys, personally I find the ride much better, the turbo twists are safely stored for now,

wait it to hear on the splitter - pm me a price,

Simon

52 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

It was the demist bit i couldn't get right - possibly just me.

I think the targa is supposed to be a nightmare to demist - not sure about the coupes - maybe I've just been lucky !

25 minutes ago, The Flying Banana said:

ha ha ..infact i am not going to even google it :) . If i get a shot of one i will i will be manly and throw caution to the wind ..wil tell you how long it takes me to work out..

i remember buying a Renault Fuego and couldnt work out how to get into the boot at tesco ...weeks shopping in front and rear seats that day

I wont ruin the fun !! Reminds me of trying to get into my old TVR Tuscan, it took me ages to work out the procedure !!

Well it arrived today on the back of a trailer, and I have to say I am feeling a little sorry for the gent that sold it... I think had he advertised it better then he probably would have sold it for more then I paid. I took a gamble on it and it has more than paid off (thank god !)

First thing I noticed was one of the rear lights half hanging out, I thought to myself 'not a major problem as I am changing them back to the original ones once I source some' Then we went to take it off the trailer and it was totally dead, lights came on the dash but it was not turning over at all... I initally thought I had bought a lemon. Anyway, after a little head scratching and a couple of texts to the previous owner it was just a flat battery, a jump start sorted that out, and just to be sure I  purchased and installed a new battery.

On inspecting the rear lights a little further I fould that in the boot there was an absolute stack of spares ! - Loads of bits of pieces that are sure to come in handy, and sure enough the original rear lights - They have now been refitted and in my opinion it looks much better for them. There is also the original radio in the boot, so this will be re-installed as well.

I have gone through the interior quickly, and changed or fitted new screws, and fasteners - The sort of bits that get removed and never properly re-fitted, one thing that really bugs me for some reason. There is also some dreadful carbon fibre trim on some of the interior trim, I have started removing this already to reveal the real fake wood underneath, much better in my opinion !

The leather is lovely, and is in great condition for the age, a good clean and protection should be all that is needed. The headlining is a little stained, however in the back there was a stunning black one in perfect condition so I may well fit that in time as well. The interior just needs a deep clean.

So the plan moving forward - Well firstly put it in for an MOT and see what it reveals - That will be done this week. Once it is on the road I will do a few miles and see what is actually required. Hopefully nothing too major. Then a full service including all fluids, and a good going over.

Bodywork, I must admit I was going to go for a full respray, but after seeing it I think a good touch up should do the trick... We will see, lots to be getting on with...

More to follow.

Superb news and great luck with the spares... ;)

I'll look forward to updates and get some pics up soon...

I'll let you know soon re the Front Bumper soon as I'm still deliberating whether to let it go or not.

C.

Cool. I see someone has already fit facelift door cards and what looks like an ACS Handbrake Handle. Leather looks like it will come up well with a deep clean and some leather conditioner.

C.

Yes there were another set of door cards as well. The handbrake handle is being removed ASAP !!

20 minutes ago, cableguy said:

Superb news and great luck with the spares... ;)

I'll look forward to updates and get some pics up soon...

I'll let you know soon re the Front Bumper soon as I'm still deliberating whether to let it go or not.

C.

No worries you know where I am when you decide

3 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Fire extinguisher too. natch!

Hopefully will never be required !