Knuckle

530d LCI - DPF Regenerations VERY frequent now...

I am guessing the DPF lifespan is nigh... 

I was getting regens for the past 18 months every couple of weeks or so, but around 10 days ago it regenned 2 days running and again the same today/yesterday. 

Both day 1's were in traffic, but the regen did appear to complete (left engine running until the noticable tone change too). 

So i'm guessing the DPF is probably getting too full now, have bought some forte DPF cleaner and will do some forced regens with that in on the motorway to see if it helps - No bong yet. 

LCI doesn't have a life expectancy

A regen SHOULD clear out everything (mine went from v high exhaust back pressure to very very low once my engine temp issue was fixed)

I would check your pressures and your engine temps first of all

may be that your thermostat is just on the brink of allowing the temp to get to the regen level and then failing to keep the temp up

JJ

Yes I was under the impression that the LCI has a 'lifetime' DPF. At least I hope it does!

I don't want to sound like I'm trying to advertise anything as I've mentioned this before, but the 'Carly for BMW' app is fantastic for stuff like this. It shows the DPF soot level & ash level in real time, so you can see them going down when a regen is taking place. Be interesting to know what they are...

When we checked the "calculated" ash mass it was showing 45g

When you think how little ash weighs 45g is quite a lot

Steve - are you using a hooky copy of carly or did you pay extra for the DPF options?

45 minutes ago, mattjk said:

When we checked the "calculated" ash mass it was showing 45g

When you think how little ash weighs 45g is quite a lot

Steve - are you using a hooky copy of carly or did you pay extra for the DPF options?

Can you get a hooky copy of Carly? if so please pm me details. 

Hi, no I bought the official version from the android app store. It was £30-odd quid but well worth it (it also periodically does an online licence check). I also bought the proper Bluetooth OBC plug. The DPF options are all included with the standard app. I think the only thing you need to pay for is the option to force a DPF regen. I think that's £10. I haven't bothered with that yet but I will at some point. Those ash/soot readings I posted were from a while ago. I can't remember what they get up to before a regen. I know I'm due a regen soon as I normally get one approx. every 400 miles so I can check my ash & soot levels on the way home today if you like. Useful for you to compare..

Edited by Steve-Savalas
Spelling

I noticed there were more options available in the dashboard area, obviously from the latest app update. I added some on to the dashboard. Dunno what the difference is between soot mass & simulated soot mass...

Screenshot_20160401-151540.png

Screenshot_20160401-155245.png

Thanks for this!  I will hopefully be using mattjks carly to monitor and force a regen at some point over the weekend.  

What do you think is the most efficient way to clean it?  

1) motorway constant speed and revs 

2) country roads / motorway accelerating and slowing down (probably get a bit hotter)  

3) driving hard.  Max heat and back pressure but additional soot produced as a result 

Ha nice.  My journey to work is now around 15 minutes with light acceleration (cold engine)  onto a dual carriageway followed by traffic.  So car is barely getting to temp day to day.  Weekends it does.  Gets to around 86 tops,  88 ish on regen

On 3/31/2016 at 8:46 PM, Knuckle said:

(left engine running until the noticable tone change too). 

after a while it notices the car's been still for too long and cancels the regen until it can next reinitiate, so better to keep driving

Around town at constant 30mph mine finishes in about 4 miles, mway 60mph it takes around 8-10 miles

Also I've noticed the exhaust gets hottest with low revs, anything over 2.5k and it starts cooling down...

so does the app "calculate" e.g. make up the ash levels based on thee amount of flow through the dpf??

you need to show the exhaust backpressure value (which is the sensor on the dpf that monitors pressure) as this is a direct driver for errors 

JJ

I doubt the app calculates anything. I would imagine it's just reading all of the data that the cars' ECU is storing. There's absolutely loads of values that it can display and i have no idea what some of them are! I'll happily test any of them if anyone wants to see what they are. 

Mattjk has the screen shots but my soot was around 10 rising to about 18 driving hard and then falling again  when driving nicely.  Ash is much higher than yours at 40 plus.  Tried to do a regen but app didn't seem to work.  

I doubt the app calculates anything. I would imagine it's just reading all of the data that the cars' ECU is storing. There's absolutely loads of values that it can display and i have no idea what some of them are! I'll happily test any of them if anyone wants to see what they are. 

Yes, I get the impression it's just reading and reporting the data. A bit of a pain that at least some of the distances are reported in feet though - my mental arithmetic isn't too hot.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Did you pay the extra £10 for the regen function? Looks like a regen isn't requested as it's status is '0.00' - i think it goes to 2.00 when one is requested, then 1.00 when all of the requisites have been met etc. Something like that anyway. If a regen was requested but something was preventing it from proceeding, I assume the status would be 2.00 and it would stay at that.

Loads of useful stuff though. At least you can be satisified that your 'Wall temperature at Sondeneinbauort' is 107.95 :huh:

Edited by Steve-Savalas

Just out of interest.... have you run the thing that checks for stored errors? Just wondering if you have an issue with a glow plug or glow plug controller that is affecting your regens. At least you know your coolant & engine are getting right up to proper temps.

I'm tempted now to pay the extra £10 to see if the DPF regen function works!