E28 Bert

What have you done on your E28 this week........

The last one that i looked at I asked a local quick-fit if I could hire the ramp for quarter of an hour best thing I ever done. As for welding i would be sceptical of large amounts of underseal, this usually indicates that the welding is not as it should be.

But at the end of the day if it does need some remedial work and your a hands on guy and the price is right then it's worth the punt, prices are only going one way.

Another point is check the water bottle if the water is orange or there are signs of orange in the expansion bottle then it has had over heating issues.

Check the tool tray for rusty tools, a sure sign of condensation which will be the boot lid rubber or worse still the sunroof cassette which will affect rear wheel arches and front footwells, don't be afraid to pull up the front carpet feeling it won't tell you anything, unless there are rubber mats in there and in that case check them for condensation also pop out the rear seat for a looksy, there have been many a time I have found glass under there which says possible accident damage.

Good Luck

Check for rusty fuel tank, fuel and brake lines, front subframe steering box mount, front strut spring cups, rear axle mounting points.

Check for an overly-tappety top end (oil spray bar).

Check for blue smoke from the exhaust.

Check the heater blower works on all settings and isn't squeaky.

Check the gearbox works in all modes.

Check the front floorpans, particularly the leading edges in the arches.

Basically, everything.

It was really crap to put it bluntly. The respray that wasn't mentioned in the advert was done by a 10 year old. All the filter was rusting. The photos were the only good thing. The boot rubber was stuck down with silicone. The car wasn't even cleaned. The engine sounded louder than a diesel. What a poor specimen. The Value no more than £1500 to be honest. The safest thing was getting out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It kept cutting out. The owner asked what I'd touched for it to conk out it was actually amusing considering I drove 6 hours with a car transporter. But eh it has to be right for me. I would of been happy to chuck a couple of grand on repairs at a white one as long as it was right.

Sounds like the Nimrod i met in High Wycombe earlier this year he thought his car was worth thousands it was a bucket of crap and the only thing good was the running gear.

But consider this!  it will be inevitable that in time there will be fewer of these cars around.

There is nothing wrong with a re-shell, it is an acceptable restoration method for triumphs of all types, MGBGT and so on. Why not BMW?

It sounds like you had a lucky escape, in my opinion if you want an auto, you should consider buying an eta or 525e, they are far more economical to run, they have a  surprising amount of torque and with the lighter M20 6 cylinder engine only lack the top end speed of the auto M535i, with an auto M535i you will be lucky to see low 20's MPG, I used to run two different eta's (525e's) as daily drivers and would average 32-35 MPG and added to this they felt nimble and just a lovely place to be, I sold my black eta to Ordnator (Mick) and he continues to enjoy it today. 

If you are looking for performance, then manual verses auto in an M535i is like the difference between night and day, it really depends on what you are looking for from an e28, but whatever it is that you are after, my advice would be to spend the top end of what you can afford on the right e28 for you, bargain e28's rarely come along these days and if they do, it is usually for a reason and what you thought was a bargain turns out to be a money pit. If you have not signed up for it, come along to the Portsmouth meet on the 18th June and have a look at areas to watch out for on these cars, spend some time chatting and make yourself a check list in readiness for the next potential purchase? The advice given by others in previous posts appears to be spot on, and yes e28's are only going one way in value, but at the end of the day any car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, set your sights a bit higher, you may be surprised at what you could get for your money.

Also have a look on here:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/

You are more likely to find an example that's been cherished by previous owners on a site like this rather than an ebay auction. Good luck with your search.

Edited by JAM172

8 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Finding the shell is the hard part.

There are plenty of Donner cars out there, yes some may need a little work but that is the territory we are moving into now, these cars are between 30 and 35 years old now.

Enthusiasts were restoring triumph stags, e-types, MG's and such with full body resto's at 25 years of age, I have owned one of my sprints since I was 17 and I reshelled it 20 years ago, you had to or bin it. It's a credit to BMW how well these cars have lasted and only needing minor structural work.

Only the good and the great will have the perfect examples and that has never changed, the rest of us keep them alive!  

It sounds like you had a lucky escape, in my opinion if you want an auto, you should consider buying an eta or 525e, they are far more economical to run, they have a  surprising amount of torque and with the lighter M20 6 cylinder engine only lack the top end speed of the auto M535i, with an auto M535i you will be lucky to see low 20's MPG, I used to run two different eta's (525e's) as daily drivers and would average 32-35 MPG and added to this they felt nimble and just a lovely place to be, I sold my black eta to Ordnator (Mick) and he continues to enjoy it today. 

I would disagree with you, i have owned several 525e and none of them bar one done over 30 mpg, I just put my 525e The Little Donkey back on the road and have been using it as my daily driver for the last 2 weeks £40 equates to 240 miles (28mpg) that has alway been a constatnt for the last 5 years

This is why I bought a E39 535 V8 it returns 219 miles for £40 (25mpg) there is hardly any difference in my outlay

6 minutes ago, Captain Beaky said:

I would disagree with you, i have owned several 525e and none of them bar one done over 30 mpg, I just put my 525e The Little Donkey back on the road and have been using it as my daily driver for the last 2 weeks £40 equates to 240 miles (28mpg) that has alway been a constatnt for the last 5 years

This is why I bought a E39 535 V8 it returns 219 miles for £40 (25mpg) there is hardly any difference in my outlay

Hi CB,

Take your diving boots off before your drive the little donkey :lol:

Regards,

Mick

I think my best in a run was 36mpg round the doors it was 30ish. They kind of need their own style. Not point in reving them just surf the torque and let the box slur up to top and cruise.

That's said I bought mine to replace my m535 but it never could. So enjoyed it fir a year or so and passed it on.

Dunc, now this is a nice car if you going for a re-shell buy as good as you can.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw/bmw-520i-e28/1169064136

520i.JPG.6bca494de9a2d061d33c33fcb094bf2

1 religious owner, never raced or rallied 

I have no issue with a reshell Clive and yes there are still good uns out there.

After it was written off I considered finding the best m535 I could and recreating mine but it would have cost more time and money than I was prepared to commit.

3 hours ago, JAM172 said:

If you are looking for performance, then manual verses auto in an M535i is like the difference between night and day, it really depends on what you are looking for from an e28, but whatever it is that you are after, my advice would be to spend the top end of what you can afford on the right e28 for you, bargain e28's rarely come along these days and if they do, it is usually for a reason and what you thought was a bargain turns out to be a money pit. If you have not signed up for it, come along to the Portsmouth meet on the 18th June and have a look at areas to watch out for on these cars, spend some time chatting and make yourself a check list in readiness for the next potential purchase? The advice given by others in previous posts appears to be spot on, and yes e28's are only going one way in value, but at the end of the day any car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, set your sights a bit higher, you may be surprised at what you could get for your money.

Also have a look on here:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/

You are more likely to find an example that's been cherished by previous owners on a site like this rather than an ebay auction. Good luck with your search.

Agree with Jamie's comments.

E28's are now well past the banger / disposable territory and the values are on the up.  Those that survived the scrapping scheme are mostly being cared for / tucked away / well looked after.

As has been seen though, there are still poor examples around trying to cash in on the value increase but if they don't stand up to scrutiny they keep being re-listed.

Do your research and homework so that you can make an informed choice with the head rather than the heart, which could potentially empty your wallet.

29 minutes ago, Captain Beaky said:

There are plenty of Donner cars out there, yes some may need a little work but that is the territory we are moving into now, these cars are between 30 and 35 years old now.

Enthusiasts were restoring triumph stags, e-types, MG's and such with full body resto's at 25 years of age, I have owned one of my sprints since I was 17 and I reshelled it 20 years ago, you had to or bin it. It's a credit to BMW how well these cars have lasted and only needing minor structural work.

Only the good and the great will have the perfect examples and that has never changed, the rest of us keep them alive!  

Also agree with CB's comments.

The numbers for sale are diminishing and therefore choice is becoming more restricted so preparing a good shell to transplant your running gear of choice with an interior of your choosing could well be the future way ahead.  Could almost be a small business opportunity here.

It provides an ideal opportunity to change the body colour to one you prefer along with re-upholstering to a material / colour of your choice.  This is also an ideal time to install many upgrades from the parts bin / aftermarket suppliers (ABS, OBC, Check Control, 4 x electric windows, comfort / sports seats, manual / electric seats, seat heating, manual / electric sunroof, glass moonroof, future proof cluster / replace NiCad batteries, large toolbox, boot lid liner, big brake upgrade, upgraded ARB's, steering bracket re-enforcement, camber / caster / toe adjustment, lowering springs etc.

This has got to be the way to get the E28 of your choosing, within a budget, that you can future proof and have a high degree of confidence in.

You could even look upon this as a small pension investment that could grow in value in the medium to long term, that you can use and have fun with at the same time.

Good luck with your quest.

Regards,

Mick

Very diplomatic sentiment Big O, I like it

The 520i that I linked on the thread earlier,  I tell you what on second view it looks a really good buy! 

All the lines are right, the interior is right, zoom the pictures and its a very good car. Minimal wear on first appearance, just look how good the passenger front looks. Well worth consideration or further investigation

If I lived closer I would be going to look at this.