E28 Bert

What have you done on your E28 this week........

On 1 May 2016 at 8:34 PM, E28 Bert said:

The last few days I have been cleaning and painting the rear wheel arch and suspension components, It was a little grubby under there so after giving the wheels arches a good clean and inspecting for any rust I gave it a coat of zinc primer then sprayed over the top in burgundrot ll, followed by a few coats of lacquer.

Then it was it onto the suspension components, axle, trailing arms, underbody and gave it a nice coat of black smooth rite after cleaning, starting to look a bit tidier under there now:)

Then today I tackled the CV boots, took me most of the day, fairly easy to dis-assemble but took me a little while to re-assemble, particularly getting the ball bearing back in their housings after cleaning, and then got grease just about everywhere!  should be a bit quicker to do the other side now I know what's going on ;)

springs  and shocks next as well as a few bushes 

Only another 3 wheel arches to go!

image.jpeg

Blimey Bart, I'm going to drop my car off to you. That looks nice.

Gary.

21 hours ago, Ordnator said:

Hi Gary,

It will be good to see you and your M535i again in June.

Really hope the gearbox comes through for you and that you manage to get it fitted without any issues.

Regards,

Mick

Hi Mick,

i hope to to have it fixed in the next couple of weeks, I have had the offer of a gearbox from another forum member who has come to my rescue and hope to pick it up buy Sunday. Good thing is it is only in Berkshire. Only a short toddle up the M3.

let you know how I get on.

Gary

A lot of stuff going on this week however I found an Eagle NCT to match the rear tyre that was flat and got it swapped over.

So the covers are off and the Little Donkey rides again, spent the day checking it over while the other half was out on Beever patrol with her gang of beevers. 

Then it was around the Gower in an hour, magic like meeting an old friend;)

572fa82cbe720_WP_20160508_18_16_30_Pro1.

572fa81dec4ef_WP_20160508_18_16_00_Pro1.572fa81dec4ef_WP_20160508_18_16_00_Pro1.

Not a bad view either when I was not admiring the Donkey

572fa8357ff89_WP_20160508_18_22_28_Pro1.

Then we had to find something to eat because all the car talk made me hungry, 10 minutes later chips in Port Eynon before heading to Mumbles foe ice cream, lush!

572fa841e77ae_WP_20160508_18_56_45_Pro1.

My only dilema now is the issue of summer wheels.!!!

I have a chance to buy a set of 17" Racing Dynamic 5 spoke alloys and I really like them, but it would be at the sacrifice of my 15" Alpina alloys because they will have to go.

Big decision? which ones

Feck!

Just released her in knickers is in one of the pictures.

That won't go down well

This car was on eBay, I live in West Sussex and recognise the location as Tesco in Bognor Regis but have never seen this car, looked good in the eBay auction pictures.

Saw it on eBay, looked up the MOT history and got nervous about whether the previous rust issues had been repaired properly. Hopefully they have, but I wouldn't want to be buying that blind!

Dan iM driving can you send the info on old rust issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talking about wheels,  I have a chance to buy a set of 17" Racing Dynamic 5 spoke alloys and I really like them, but it would be at the sacrifice of my 15" Alpina alloys because they will have to go

Any opinions?

Just checked the MOT history, car has had a lot of fails over the years for silly minor issues but the rust fails go back to 2006 with rear suspension mounting areas. Then mention of front suspension areas twice in recent years and boot floor. Hope it's done to a good standard. Just goes to show, car looks really nice but what's it like underneath.

The seller reckons all the welding was done to a very high standard the car has since been fully treated underneath. I'm taking plenty of prods and light with me and axle stands. Any pointers guys

Take your time looking round it, if it's been done to a good standard its not the end of the world. These cars are 30 years old and it's to be expected, m535i are getting fairly thin on the ground now. Keep us posted and good luck.

Agree with Jut, my worry would be that if its been border line for a while and it[s quick repair on quick repair (would be easy to spot) where as if some one has just done it right it might be a sound buy.

turbines need binning asap mind!

Agree with Jut, my worry would be that if its been border line for a while and it[s quick repair on quick repair (would be easy to spot) where as if some one has just done it right it might be a sound buy.

turbines need binning asap mind!

Tee about the turbines. Thanks. Any pointers on engine and box.

Take your time looking round it, if it's been done to a good standard its not the end of the world. These cars are 30 years old and it's to be expected, m535i are getting fairly thin on the ground now. Keep us posted and good luck.

Thanks any pointers on engine and box.

Make sure it gets up to temp and stays there, evidence of oil/ coolant changes. Can sound a bit ticky but can be the injectors, find out when the valve clearances were last done as these are pretty important and would be an indication the owner has kept on top of things. Is it an auto? As said you should be able to tell if it's had new metal let in rather than big plates slapped over the top of rot. Last but not least weigh the turbines in lol!

Edited by jut 535i

Engine probably least of your worries - the m30 is a hardy beast - evidence of regular servicing would be good for me - dip the oil etc.

Auto box is known to fail but there isn't usually any warning, evidence of a fluid change would be nice.

Basically:

Rot repairs need to be done well

Evidence of money spent on a regular basis.

Whether it feels loved or not.

12 hours ago, merc convert said:

The seller reckons all the welding was done to a very high standard the car has since been fully treated underneath. I'm taking plenty of prods and light with me and axle stands. Any pointers guys

I'm happy to come and take a look at the car this weekend if you want as I'm fairly local, i believe the car is in Barnham, so quite close to me.