E28 Bert

What have you done on your E28 this week........

To make space for all the work that has been needed on my e12 M535i, I had shipped my beloved e28 528i out to a friends garage and covered it over with dust sheets, that was back in last October, and I had not been back to see it since. It turns out that the garage was very damp and when I went to have a look last weekend the engine bay and some of the paintwork elsewhere was covered in mildew This has ruined all the bonnet sound proofing as well as furring up all my polished alloy casings.

Whilst the e12 is away I have bought the 528i home, washed it, detailed all the engine bay and ordered new sound proofing for the bonnet. I still have further detailing work to do but I think it has forgiven me now.

Dust sheets won't help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, JAM172 said:

To make space for all the work that has been needed on my e12 M535i, I had shipped my beloved e28 528i out to a friends garage and covered it over with dust sheets, that was back in last October, and I had not been back to see it since. It turns out that the garage was very damp and when I went to have a look last weekend the engine bay and some of the paintwork elsewhere was covered in mildew:( This has ruined all the bonnet sound proofing as well as furring up all my polished alloy casings.

Whilst the e12 is away I have bought the 528i home, washed it, detailed all the engine bay and ordered new sound proofing for the bonnet. I still have further detailing work to do but I think it has forgiven me now.

You have to love them all in equal measure or they get upset :lol:

Edited by Ordnator

Shame about that garage Ja, must have been bloody annoying...Mine is tucked away in my brother in laws garage across the road as since my house move the garage at the new place is overflowing !  This has consumed my life for the last month so the car has been somewhat neglected.  

20160325_180740_zpsy03bn1ql.jpg

It did go for an MOT just before we moved and it passed with no advisories :)

Bluf%20MOT_zpsc0uwhrkc.jpg

Plans for a new home for it which is a 3.75m x 12m double garage and 3.75x 5m workshop are in place.  This will have to wait until and of May/June as the new kitchen will take priority, well that's what the missus thinks anyway ;)

9 hours ago, Splondike said:

Shame about that garage Ja, must have been bloody annoying...Mine is tucked away in my brother in laws garage across the road as since my house move the garage at the new place is overflowing !  This has consumed my life for the last month so the car has been somewhat neglected.  

20160325_180740_zpsy03bn1ql.jpg

It did go for an MOT just before we moved and it passed with no advisories :)

Bluf%20MOT_zpsc0uwhrkc.jpg

Plans for a new home for it which is a 3.75m x 12m double garage and 3.75x 5m workshop are in place.  This will have to wait until and of May/June as the new kitchen will take priority, well that's what the missus thinks anyway ;)

Mark,

You need to reverse that trend of negligence and bring it down to the Fort Nelson meet "E28's on the hill" on 18 June.

Regards,

Mick

Hi Mick, I would love to but I am out on on long arranged annual "blokes day" that day, doing karting, foot-golf and a bbq in the evening with a bunch of mates, I was sad that particular date was selected :(

22 minutes ago, Splondike said:

Hi Mick, I would love to but I am out on on long arranged annual "blokes day" that day, doing karting, foot-golf and a bbq in the evening with a bunch of mates, I was sad that particular date was selected :(

Hi Mark,

can't compete with that level on entertainment.  Enjoy your day.

Regards,

Mick

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 8:57 AM, JAM172 said:

To make space for all the work that has been needed on my e12 M535i, I had shipped my beloved e28 528i out to a friends garage and covered it over with dust sheets, that was back in last October, and I had not been back to see it since. It turns out that the garage was very damp and when I went to have a look last weekend the engine bay and some of the paintwork elsewhere was covered in mildew:( This has ruined all the bonnet sound proofing as well as furring up all my polished alloy casings.

Jamie,

You need to give her a day out in the sunshine by way of an apology for locking her away in a damp garage.  Why not bring her down to Fort Nelson on 18 June for some E28's on the hill?

Regards,

Mick

Quick wash and detail of the Diamantschwartz Eta on Saturday in preparation for the BMW Car Club GB Wessex Region BMW Centenary Tour on Sunday.

Sunday was "A Grand Day Out" which started at the BMW HQ in Farnborough with a drive down the A283 through Petworth to Goodwood Race Track.  Watched the racing which looked like a charity cycling event which did not look like it would set any speed or lap records.

Despite living so close this was my first visit to Goodwood and I really enjoyed the retro old world charm of the place.  To quote General MacArthur "I Shall Return".

The second leg involved a trip along the A27 and A283 to Devils Dyke.  The view from the top was awesome but the wind chill required several layers just to keep warm.  There was a good cabaret laid on by some people strapping a wing and a sleeping bag to their back then running down the hill and jumping off of a cliff.

The final leg was a trip up the A281 and A24 to Denbies Wine Estate in Dorking.  There was a local farm produce market in residence as well.  Cheese and wine mmmm.

A return journey down the A283 through Midhurst to Chichester followed by a trip along the A259 to Portsmouth, stopping only for a ice cream at Bosham Harbour.

The Eta performed faultlessly, even over the uneven Surrey roads, returning 250 miles for a smidge over half a tank of Shell V Power unleaded.

First decent trip with the moonroof installed and really enjoying the light airy feel that it now brings to the cabin.

Regards,

Mick

Edited by Ordnator

Found this massive hole in the passenger footwell. 

Ill get get it welded up at work this week. Thinnest stuff we have at work is 2.5mm will that be ok? 

think I will leave the carpets our for a while. Might chequer plate the floor. 

image.jpeg

Fixed poor running issue (post elsware in this forum) took car for MOT yesterday and it passed with flying colours then promptly broke its gear box as I drove away from the MOT station, remainder of the journey on the back of a recovery truck. Now sat in my garage waiting for me to fix it again. Just love old cars.

2 hours ago, gary francis said:

Installed back windscreen  and fitted and shimmed up doors first Polish on new paint 

20160430_192217_001.jpg

20160430_162438.jpg

20160430_162427_002.jpg

Hi Gary,

Looks really clean and sharp in the pictures.

Any chance of seeing in the flesh at E28's on the hill at Fort Nelson?

Regards,

Mick

2 hours ago, gary francis said:

Hi mick many thanks  when is it  I hope to  Finnish for the summer  got the interior  to do now and full service and exhaust  

Hi Gary,

No pressure, Saturday 18 June 2016.

Link to the thread:

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/119922-e28s-other-5-series-on-the-hill-180616-fort-nelson-portsmouth/

It would be really nice to see you and your smart looking E28 there on the 18th.

Regards,

Mick

Hi Mick,

my intention is still to be there, now it's Mot,ed all I want to do is drive it. Looks like I may have located a box from another forum member, just waiting for a couple of questions to be answered then need to book a couple of days off to do it. Luckily my nephew has his own garage in Cosham so hopefully he will give me some ramp time to do it.

Gary

The last few days I have been cleaning and painting the rear wheel arch and suspension components, It was a little grubby under there so after giving the wheels arches a good clean and inspecting for any rust I gave it a coat of zinc primer then sprayed over the top in burgundrot ll, followed by a few coats of lacquer.

Then it was it onto the suspension components, axle, trailing arms, underbody and gave it a nice coat of black smooth rite after cleaning, starting to look a bit tidier under there now:)

Then today I tackled the CV boots, took me most of the day, fairly easy to dis-assemble but took me a little while to re-assemble, particularly getting the ball bearing back in their housings after cleaning, and then got grease just about everywhere!  should be a bit quicker to do the other side now I know what's going on ;)

springs  and shocks next as well as a few bushes 

Only another 3 wheel arches to go!

image.jpeg

Edited by E28 Bert

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 1:53 PM, garym535i said:

Hi Mick,

my intention is still to be there, now it's Mot,ed all I want to do is drive it. Looks like I may have located a box from another forum member, just waiting for a couple of questions to be answered then need to book a couple of days off to do it. Luckily my nephew has his own garage in Cosham so hopefully he will give me some ramp time to do it.

Gary

Hi Gary,

It will be good to see you and your M535i again in June.

Really hope the gearbox comes through for you and that you manage to get it fitted without any issues.

Regards,

Mick