Spice-Boy

When people see racism where none exists...

25 posts in this topic

I have had quite the shock tonight. Had an email from my boss saying that my company have had an email quoting something that I've said on social media and that person found it "quite troubling". The quote in question was me commenting on something a local politician said with regards to ethnic minorities in Cardiff and cleanliness in areas and that they are linked. I, poorly worded, made a comment on the news story that certain areas in Cardiff which have a higher number of ethnic minorities and students do have more litter in the streets (often see mattresses outside student houses at end of term, Lord knows why!) but only to try and point out that the council keep housing people in those areas but clearly not allowing for adequate waste removal. More people means more waste, right? Probably should of mentioned the whole council bit but I didn't at the time. I have since as a "reply comment" but it still surprises me that people will automatically assume the worst in people.

This is just a rant as I never have and never will be actively or passively racially discriminative towards anyone.

Worst still is that person felt it necessary to contact my company and put them in a very difficult position and put my employment at risk instead of just messaging me for clarification.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

That's bollocks!!

Everyone knows it's the Welsh that are mucky pups, they wouldn't know what to do with their rubbish if they didn't have a fence to throw it over.

You could try writing to my firm but as I'm the gaffer......

Mo_1986, Spice-Boy and e60530i like this

We're only mucky due to how much sheep shit! Messy fluffy white balls of love...

711jrp likes this

Not surprised people think the worst or wilfully misunderstand for their own ends. But I am surprised someone was able to contact your employer

Spice-Boy likes this

Don't worry about it!

Unless what you've said actually affects you, your business and an end client/customer, your company CANNOT do anything against you, unless they take serious steps and move it to a court case etc!

What you've said is freedom of speech, they cannot stop you saying what you want, when you want on a public forum/social media website etc!

Unless the person in question decides to speak to the police about it and takes it further (in which, reading what you've said, the police would probably tell them to sod off and stop wasting time) then you're fine!

If you're management take it further, then a) they've got issues which need addressing and b)- they'll end up in court themselves for constructive dismissal!!! 

Spice-Boy likes this

Thanks all. I've yet to speak to my employer about this but I'm sure the conversation will happen today. I'm currently on holiday so didn't know about it for 2 days!

I've gone through my work employees handbook which has all the work related legal stuff such as sickness, misconduct policies and procedures etc and it doesn't contain anything to do with conduct on social media apart from we're not allowed to use company equipment to access any type of social media (I didn't) but does have references to things like poor attitude in the "reasons for disciplinary" section so I am concerned that it may fall into that section.

Aye, these days we are surrounded by those who make it their business to be offended..It makes them feel better about their own inadequacies.

Edited by Karl
DUFFY and Carl-e34 like this

You can't be done for it by your employers. 

It's not work related,  it's private and in social media and it's freedom of speech! 

Depends on the policy of the employer, which must have been circulated to everyone mind. They can't say it's policy if they've never published it and made sure everyone gets a copy.

However, It's always good to separate your social media from your employer.

p3tchy likes this

Facebook has a lot to answer for ..why do people want to make comments that could ( and can ) come back to bit them and show their dinner to the world is beyond me , why bother commenting at all ?

However i do agree that it seems we are surrounded by people who look for the least thing to be offended by and make a mountain out of it , you really have to tip toe around some people/ subjects these day

Edited by The Flying Banana

5 minutes ago, themanstan said:

Depends on the policy of the employer, which must have been circulated to everyone mind. They can't say it's policy if they've never published it and made sure everyone gets a copy.

However, It's always good to separate your social media from your employer.

All my work colleges are blocked except a couple which I know outside of work, Facebook has the highest security on all options so only friends can see what ever I post. 

Maybe change your settings so outsiders don't know where you work etc. 

Like said above, unless you're in the public eye or a representative of something public, they can't do anything to you for it. 

Also the world is now full of busy bodies. 

mattjk likes this

Are we talking "Grangetown".... ???

Sometimes people really need to get a grip on things and grow up... It's true there are mattresses, washing machines, microwaves, TVs, plus all sorts of food debris on the streets there....

It seems that a huge proportion of the UK population have become "sensitive little souls" who are easily hurt... I'm thinking the media response to Joe Marler and Sampson Lee having a chat the other week... what a "cocking load of Scritti Politti" as Rhian Evans would say... 

FFS it makes my blood boil... and the media really do not help in the way they constantly gnaw away and fanning the flames of a non existent fires....

e60530i and Spice-Boy like this

Are we talking "Grangetown".... ???

Sometimes people really need to get a grip on things and grow up... It's true there are mattresses, washing machines, microwaves, TVs, plus all sorts of food debris on the streets there....

It seems that a huge proportion of the UK population have become "sensitive little souls" who are easily hurt... I'm thinking the media response to Joe Marler and Sampson Lee having a chat the other week... what a "cocking load of Scritti Politti" as Rhian Evans would say... 

FFS it makes my blood boil... and the media really do not help in the way they constantly gnaw away and fanning the flames of a non existent fires....

That actually was one of the areas I mentioned! Along with Cathays and a few other choice areas that have overcrowding... Ever seen how many students come out of a student house? Reminds me of a clown car at the circus lol.

Seesure likes this

Have you had an email from the Students' Union as well?

Funnily enough I haven't. Not a peep from the students at all.

whiskychaser likes this

There's good and bad in everyone.  Myself I come from the white and fat variety.

The above could be constrained as racist because I'm signifying the fact that I'm white.  But in the sun I become red.

The media plays a massive part in sometimes adding fuel to the fire.

but there will always be issues even if everyone was identical.  This is human nature in some people that couldn't live with themselves let alone others.

Trash in all society at all levels if you seen how student doctors live you heal yourself.

Saying its nothing to do with your employer, freedom of speech etc,is not a get off the hook unfortunately, if they claim your coments have brought the organisation into disrepute. That horse has bolted I'm afraid, but change your fb settings, lots of employees have come unstuck through coments made on media.

The person who reported you sounds very mean in a deliberate attempt to muddy the waters by contacting your employer.

I don't think I'd want to work for a company who acts like yours and who treats their employees in this manner. People in today's society are spineless and so afraid to say the wrong thing, they'll rather alienate everyone around them just to be politically correct.

Quite ironic if you look at Britain's past.

Calypso-E34 likes this

Unless there is a policy you may then want to tell the employer to back off. You have right of expression subject to usual laws. Social media is like a room full of people, anything you would not say in a room full of people, don't say on social media. This area continually develops and no doubt your employer will develop a policy soon.

Carl-e34 and e60530i like this

I can remember some female politician a few years ago was ousted as a racist because she said something very similar.

When asked about a certain area she said whenever you get immigrants move into an area in large numbers that area will eventually go down market, she was forced to resign but did no body stop and think that what she was saying was actually correct and plain for all to see? Britain is still a free speaking country but for how long.

Well my employer has clarified their position on social media freedom and I have zero issues to worry about. They saw the post for themselves and they had no issue with what I said, how I said it or what context. They have a very "what you do in your own time is your business" attitude which is great. They did say that if I were to sully the companies reputation intentionally then that would be different but I love my job and my company so that'll never be an issue lol.

themanstan and whiskychaser like this