daniboy71

'Normal' air suspension failure symptoms

£120 is OK imo, if they have not done them before they are probably gauging an hour per side.

If you are up to it, and it's easy there is some good info on here, they only take 30 mins per side with minimal skills and a couple of tools and are nothing like as daunting as they seem.

As far as I’m aware it’s a really simple twist and drop out like a  bayonet light bulb if you have the jack and things, for for the sake of £50 labour for one side I didn’t want to get into it.

I have just received 2  Aerosus BMW 5 GT F07/F11 Rear Air Spring / Air Suspension Bags for my BMW F11 525 D Touring to replace both the rear suspension bags which are now leaking.

I bought this car new in 2010. In 2014 the left rear air suspension was torn and replaced by BMW free of charge as a good will gesture.

When the old leaking units were removed today, one( the newer one 2014) had a black ring attached. The original one on the car from new did not. Therefore I have been driving the car for 4 years with one airbag with a ring and one without.

With the Aerosus airbags do they need these black rings fitted as they are not supplied with the bags?

BMW do not sell the rings separately so if  they are necessary, to get one, I would have to buy a complete OEM unit which will contain the ring for over £300 from BMW. I noticed that the Arnott air spring does not require this part for installation. 

Edited by tilly

14 hours ago, tilly said:

I have just received 2  Aerosus BMW 5 GT F07/F11 Rear Air Spring / Air Suspension Bags for my BMW F11 525 D Touring to replace both the rear suspension bags which are now leaking.

I bought this car new in 2010. In 2014 the left rear air suspension was torn and replaced by BMW free of charge as a good will gesture.

When the old leaking units were removed today, one( the newer one 2014) had a black ring attached. The original one on the car from new did not. Therefore I have been driving the car for 4 years with one airbag with a ring and one without.

With the Aerosus airbags do they need these black rings fitted as they are not supplied with the bags?

BMW do not sell the rings separately so if  they are necessary, to get one, I would have to buy a complete OEM unit which will contain the ring for over £300 from BMW. I noticed that the Arnott air spring does not require this part for installation. 

Not having done this before I could be wrong so worth waiting for someone who has done it before to confirm, but looking at the Arnott install guide here http://arnottinfo.com/manuals/A-2780.pdf it has a specific note on page 5 saying that the OEM ring can be discarded. Appreciate it's Aerosus rather than Arnott you have but it's probably the same situation. 

First off does your car have Integral Active Steering? If so you need airspsrings only available from BMW.

If not it’s your choice of supplier. The black bearings should be fitted as per the TIS procedure, even when not originally fitted. BMW springs come with the bearings. The bearings appear very long lasting so  second hand one, cleaned and re packed with grease should be fine

5 hours ago, chrisn7 said:

First off does your car have Integral Active Steering? If so you need airspsrings only available from BMW.

If not it’s your choice of supplier. The black bearings should be fitted as per the TIS procedure, even when not originally fitted. BMW springs come with the bearings. The bearings appear very long lasting so  second hand one, cleaned and re packed with grease should be fine

My car does not have IAS and it appears that the original airsprings did not have the black bearings fitted. OEM  replacement springs do contain the black bearing but I think that we have come to the conclusion that they are not necessary if you do not have IAS. Neither the Arnott nor the Aerosus airsprings have these bearings and as stated elsewhere Arnott say they are uneccessary but you cannot use their springs I believe on IAS cars. I am awaiting a reply from Aerosus. If however your car has IAS then you have to fit OEM airsprings with the black bearings fitted. I think that when a replacement airspring was fitted at a main agent in 2014 the mechanic just fitted the part which was supplied containing the black spacer and did not wonder why the original  faulty airspring did not have the spacer fitted.

Since the car has been running from the spring 2014 with one airspring having the bearing and one without I think it proves that on my car they are not necessary.

Sorry for the complex reply but this is the conclusion we have arrived at from all the information we have received over the last two days. If anybody can see fault with this conclusion  please feel free to comment.

Edited by tilly

Extract from the TIS:

1VnYQTD74u Attention!
For replacement of the air spring, it is mandatory to install the torsional vibration damper (3).
  • (1) = Previous version
  • (2) = New version

9 hours ago, chrisn7 said:

Extract from the TIS:

1VnYQTD74u Attention!
For replacement of the air spring, it is mandatory to install the torsional vibration damper (3).
  • (1) = Previous version
  • (2) = New version

That is interesting that it is written in such a way. We have assumed that it is mandatory to install if the car has IAS but it is not essential if it doesn't. Leaving it on a non IAS car doesn't have  any effect. When we compared the top of the Aerosus airspring with the original BMW airspring which has been on the car for 8 years, and which had no damper, they are the same.  In addition when we checked with a new BMW airspring, which had the damper, when it was removed there was no difference. 

I have been driving the car for 4 years with a damper on one side but not on the other and I have not noticed any performance difference. In addition for the two original damperless airsprings one lasted for 4 years the other for 8 years. The replacement damper fitted with the damper has lasted 4 years. 

I am now totally confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am awaiting comment from Aerosus to see what their recommendation is. In the meantime I am driving the car with 2 new aerosus airsprings fitted and one has the damper taken from the old replacment BMW airspring fitted 4 years ago. As yet all seems fine.

It has been a good discussion and through all of the comments a lot of good information has been gathered re the black ring. BMW obviously introduced the ring due to some issue or noise emanating from the rear of some cars as an enhancement to the airspring and felt the vibration damper was needed. Arnott has obviously done its own R&D and decided there is no need for the ring with their air spring on non-IAS cars. If it makes no difference re safety of the fitment and if I had airsprings with the black ring, I'd use them on the replacements. As my car is an original launch car I can only assume mine doesn't have the ring. I've never had an issue with any noise from the rear of the car and will be using Arnott or Aerosus replacements when the time comes so will probably be continuing without the ring and won't be thinking about it again.

6 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

It has been a good discussion and through all of the comments a lot of good information has been gathered re the black ring. BMW obviously introduced the ring due to some issue or noise emanating from the rear of some cars as an enhancement to the airspring and felt the vibration damper was needed. Arnott has obviously done its own R&D and decided there is no need for the ring with their air spring on non-IAS cars. If it makes no difference re safety of the fitment and if I had airsprings with the black ring, I'd use them on the replacements. As my car is an original launch car I can only assume mine doesn't have the ring. I've never had an issue with any noise from the rear of the car and will be using Arnott or Aerosus replacements when the time comes so will probably be continuing without the ring and won't be thinking about it again.

I still wonder if the ring is only for IAS cars. The current OEM part just means one replacement for both types simplifying distribution.

1 hour ago, tilly said:

I still wonder if the ring is only for IAS cars. The current OEM part just means one replacement for both types simplifying distribution.

No, there are 2 part numbers as I said, standard suspension and MSport/IAS Equipped cars and both have the black ring.

35 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

No, there are 2 part numbers as I said, standard suspension and MSport/IAS Equipped cars and both have the black ring.

Sorry I misunderstood. This then begs the question why my car did not have the rings from new? If it is an update what is the reason? Finally why do the Arnott and Aerosus Airsprings not indicate the spacers need to be fitted? I can understand that the Arnott is a different configuration but the Aerosus is almost identical to the OEM part minus the spacer.

I received a reply from Aerosus and despite sending a picture they mistakenly thought that I meant the protective sleeve rather than the spacer on top of the unit. I have tried to clarify and am awaiting their answer.

No disrespect but personally I think you are wasting time on this. We are second guessing various scenarios and there are lots of variables to be accurate. 

Just imo of course. 

1 hour ago, sshooie said:

No disrespect but personally I think you are wasting time on this. We are second guessing various scenarios and there are lots of variables to be accurate. 

Just imo of course. 

Fair point. It is just the type of mind I have. I like to try and get  logical answers. That's the scientist in me.

4 hours ago, tilly said:

Sorry I misunderstood. This then begs the question why my car did not have the rings from new? If it is an update what is the reason? Finally why do the Arnott and Aerosus Airsprings not indicate the spacers need to be fitted? I can understand that the Arnott is a different configuration but the Aerosus is almost identical to the OEM part minus the spacer.

I received a reply from Aerosus and despite sending a picture they mistakenly thought that I meant the protective sleeve rather than the spacer on top of the unit. I have tried to clarify and am awaiting their answer.

BMW changed the airsprings to include the back ring as an enhancement at some point which is why our early cars don't have them. See my post 6 up from here for my speculation as to reason and as @sshooie says, enjoy the new air springs and move on. 

Thanks for all the info. I will however post the reply from Aerosus as a final chapter in the story.

Final chapter:

Aerosus technical say you do NOT need the black spacer fitted to their airsprings.

I am now going to move on and get a new life!